Citroen ZX Estate 1.9TD - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Hello,

I've got a ZX 1.9 TD with sqeaky suspension at the rear.

The squeak is noticeable when the suspension is pushed down at the back end (like when you test shock absorbers). It is also noticable at low speed from the outside. At higher speeds, it is not noticeable due to road noise etc.

I believe it may be an issue of dry bushes.

Mileage is 79.000 miles.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Any help/advice or cures will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jon S
Citroen ZX Estate 1.9TD - M.M
Jon,

Possibly shock absorbers, rear axle assembly to body bushes or more likely trailing arm bearings.

Worth getting it looked at because there have been cases where the bearings have seized and then rotated in the axle tube requiring a new tube at some £400.

David W
Citroen ZX Estate 1.9TD - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Thanks for this David,

My mechanic (Independent) didn't pick up this squeak when getting it on or off his hoist at his workshop.

It is bugging me somewhat so I will get it looked at.

I'm guessing the old saying is true: 'Prevention is better than cure' so I'll get it checked.

Thanks for your help sir.

Cheers

Jon S
Citroen ZX Estate 1.9TD - rg
Jon S.

Just for our info, my Pug 405 estate has a similar unlubricatable (phew!-get that on triple word score..) trailing arm. Sadly, no such thing as prevention on these as there is no grease nipple (I wonder if that word passes the auto-censor..)

After carrying over half a tonne one day ("should have used a Xantia" says David W.) it began to squeak a bit (more like a creak), but it -did- go away and has not returned. Yet.

From the U.S. Peugeot newsgroup, I understand that they are a complete nightmare to remove anyway. Probably not worth the labour charges.

However, mine is coming up to 250,000, so I can excuse these things. More serious is tyhe diff crown wheel grinding it's way out of the transmission housing..

Rob