Internet Prices / loyalty - Robin Hall
For the past 2 years I have been able to reduce the cost of my RAC renewal using the offers available over the Internet. Each time my renewal has come through at about £70 and by quoting the Internet offer at that time I have managed to halve this. Last year they just reduced my fee on the same membership number, this year they said that wasn't possible so I cancelled my membership and re-joined on the Internet. Just like Insurance it pays not to renew automatically!
Mobile phones & loyalty. - David Woollard
Robin,

Found/heard the same with mobile phone accounts. I was with my first company five years and they wanted £50 to replace the phone and upgrade the subscription type. All other companies aproached would give me the same payment/accessories deal but without any upfront payment.

Even when faced with the logic of keeping a customer my existing people weren't interested, they stood by the £50 charge. That after £1200 + of business from me.

Now with Orange (purchased from Carphone W.house) on a scheme where they match the Virgin tarif. Never had such cheap bills and good service.

David
Re: Mobile phones & loyalty. - Simon Whaites
I have no idea why the phone companies don't try to maintain the business that they have already have. I have had an orane phone for a few years now, and every time I look to upgrade, it makes sense to change networks or even to resubscribe to the same tariff with a different number. I haven't yet to ensure that I don't lose my number but it makes no sense not to try to keep customers.
Re: Mobile phones & loyalty. - Darcy Kitchin
You can keep your number whichever network you move to. Oftel says so! Nobody likes doing this "porting" of numbers and most retailers will try and talk you out of it. Fill in a form and prepare for your number to be dormant for about 10 days, but the system does eventually work.
Re: Mobile phones & loyalty. - Harry
Re RAC / Loyalty

Speaking of the RAC I've found that the are damn cheap for quality insurance cover (via AXA). They will also give you half price breakdown membership on the back of the insurance.

Like you say though, never ever renew anything without shopping around!