98 1.7 Welding a subframe for an MOT - diddydiner
Just had MOT and from slight corrosion on the subframe last year is now excessive.
Can it get that bad in a year???
Anyway how big a job is this to do and what sort of price am i looking at. Both rear subframes need doing plus two seat bealt anchorage
Is this worth doing ??
Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Webmaster on 11/07/2009 at 12:47

98 1.7 Welding a subframe for an MOT - Rattle
It can get that bad quite quickly seen it on my last car. Also with corrosion it is all down to opinion some will think it is worse than others. My last car needed new sills apparantly in May 08 for the MOT, bought the car in October by Feb I decided to MOT early as I knew by this time it was rotting away, my idea was to sell it with 12 months MOT. It was so rotten it needed £300 of work doing.

The welding you require is probably not a massive job and my dads car needed wleding in the seat belt anchorage for the MOT in August 2007 (previous owner, also lied to us about this, later found out the truth on the computerised MOT records). Car passed last year without any welding but brake pipes were so rotten they were leaking (car passed the year before with fine).

My general experience is once you need welding it just dosn't stop. Get some quotes from a welder but I doubt it will be worth bothering with. If it was me I would just scrap it and get a newer car even if it has been reliable. I never felt happy with my old car having new sills because they probably would have not have performed as well in a crash as the originals.

A member of this site was actually there when my Fiesta was at the MOT bay, I could see bits of body work falling off as the MOT prodded the plastic crewdriver into the chasis. The car still had 3 months MOT at the time.

Edited by Rattle on 11/07/2009 at 13:24

98 1.7 Welding a subframe for an MOT - Mookfish
Get a quote from a backsteet garage for the welding, if it will pass on everything else I personally would be willing to spend upto £150 for the welding any more and I would probably scrap it.

Probably time to start looking for a new car even if you do get it welded next year's MOT will need more welding almost certainly.
Hi
Yes as i thought, dont know if its going to cost me again next year. I was quoted £270 for subframes and anchorage, plus my wheel bearings feel rough???
Then i think shall i scrap or break the car.....
Hi, yes thanks for the advice, i was thinking the same once it starts seeing rust it could go on and on. The same as you looking at the previous MOTs after i had it for a year and was due a MOT which failed in corrosion on the brake pies etc, this was on prievious mots just like the seat bealt anchorage they were on the prievious MOTs. It seemed like i was having to have things done last year that was on the two previous MOTs.
im going to have someone else look at it for me just to see how bad it is as they wanted £270 to do two seat belt anchorage and both rear subframes, and i pressume look at the rear wheel bearings which feel rough.