05 2.2 Offside rear wheel drone - Battle CRV
When my CRV dti was about a year old it started to drone from the rear offside. The honda dealer who supplied and serviced it said it was tyre noise. Despite a complete tyre change the noise has increased over the last 2 years. It starts to really get loud at about 40 and persists up through to 70+. It it speeds up with wheel speed but never changes tone, regardless of road surface so is not tyres. At lower speeds it sort of reverberates as the wheel speed increases. Honda have varied their diagnosis but the latest is that as I tow (less than 500miles last year), the tyre has become mis-shaped! I am now at the 2nd tyre change and the odd thing is that both times the offside rear has had a tread of 5mil, whilst the others have been about 2. Honda say if I pay £100 they will check it's not wheel alignment!!
05 2.2 Offside rear wheel drone - cphardcastle
Have Honda not checked the wheel bearing then? I could be wrong but it sounds typical of a worn wheel bearing.

If Honda are changing their minds I'd be inclined to get an independent assessment. Any half decent garage would probably check your bearings for noise and excessive play for very little cost, perhaps even for free.
05 2.2 Offside rear wheel drone - Battle CRV
It has just been serviced by Honda and they say its not the bearings. I am just about to change the tyres and then they say they could pass it to a mechanic/technician to use for a couple of days to see if he can diagnose it. It is so loud, it will probably annoy him as well! They've been asked to diagnose this for nearly 2 years. I feel as though its something out of shape rubbibng all the time.
05 2.2 Offside rear wheel drone - cphardcastle
Okay, so not a wheel bearing then.

Not that I'm a qualified Honda technician but I'd be looking at drive train components next. You say that the tyre on the corner of the car in question is wearing slower than all the others? Has the Honda dealer checked the rear differential for faults? After that I'd be asking them to check the other parts in the drive to that wheel.

Kick up a fuss at the dealer if they've unsuccessfully been trying to find this fault for so long, I find it unacceptable that they want to charge you an extra £100.00 to check wheel alignment, surely this should have been checked long ago if the problem has persisted for so long?
05 2.2 Offside rear wheel drone - xtrailman
It appears that Honda have a few poor dealers, not just nissan.

I would have replaced the original tyres with a different make, and at the same time have a four wheel tracking/alignment done.

My 2nd primera was going through front tyres in under 10k, nissan dealer said they had checked the tracking, but obviously they had not, laser showed 3 degrees out, or was it 5, can't remember exactly. When it comes to tyres dealers are not interested.

You could get a AA inspection, or get the car tested?

I am assuming the rear drive is only on demand?

For tyre wear to be so drastically different something is wrong with the geometry, tracking, or transmission. I would have the bearing checked by another source, and perhaps get the car on a rolling road to try and locate the source of the noise?