Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 25 *****

***** This thread follows on from VOLUME 23 *****

Another thread for commenting on rare, unusual, old or just plain daft cars etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/08/2009 at 19:26

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - frazerjp
On the M25 today I was overtaken by a PINK Mini one, I didn't know you can buy the new mini in pink?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - the swiss tony

This morning, being trailered near Limoges, a 1950s Porsche 550A lightweight racer, the sort that did for James Dean.
it had racing numbers and was LHD (maybe they all were?) and painted on the tail was the name 'Little B*st*rd'.
I guess James Dean would agree.

That name was on the back of James Deans car......

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Alby Back
Pale yellow Triumph 2000 on the M5 southbound somewhere north of Bristol the other day.

Clearly being driven by someone who might be called Batout O'Vell

Quite impressed with its turn of speed.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Lud
Yesterday, in Kentish town, was passed by three or four BMW X8s in succession but not together. They all looked brand new. I had never seen one of these before, sort of enormous great four-door fastback SUV.

But reason tells me that Kentish Town is hardly the place to launch such a vehicle to the trade, let alone the motoring press.

Perhaps there was a multiple pratnav event and they really should have been in Orkney or Tamanrasset? Or has this big fat inyerface motor been around for yonks?
X6s at a guess Lud. Been around about a year or so. Astonishingly ugly but very capable apparently. There are plenty of people like that in fairness.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 10/07/2009 at 22:50

X6s at a guess

I vos blinded by a reflection! I vos blinded by a reflection!
Its those chrome wheels on yer new motor.......
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - JH
So unusual I have no idea what it was. The nearest I can get is an Abarth Simca Coupe, with the help of my 1966 Observer's Book of Automobiles. The sort of tiny, beautiful and very purposeful looking car that Alpine made inthe 60s. A Ferrari after a hot cycle. Beautiful. On the West side of Northwich, Saturday before last (excuse the delay, been on hol).

And a Honda NSX at Strensham services North-bound yeterday. I'd forgotten just how long the tail is. (Why do people mill about?)

JH
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - frazerjp
Halfords car park in Wycombe.
One of those little Suzuki XS city cars from the early 80's.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Avant
A well-preserved white MGB GT, G-reg (so 1968-69) near home in Berks. towing a small trailer. There's something rather nicely maverick about that I think.
A well-preserved white MGB GT

There is one just like that around here. See it often. Owned and driven apparently daily by a very old but extremely lively Joyce Grenfell type. A cheery sort with a beaming smile for all, she can be seen hanging the MG's tail out on wet roundabouts with considerable aplomb. Tweeds, headscarf, a bit plump and permanently in some kind of wrecked old wax jacket. Don't know who she is but you have to like her style or lack of it.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Martin Devon
>> A well-preserved white MGB GT. Tweeds headscarf a bit plump and permanently in some kind of wrecked old wax jacket. Don't know who she is but you have to like her style or lack of it.

Perfick.
Yesterday I followed an AC Ace convertible, more of a barchetta really, for about fifteen miles down the A29. It looked so small by modern standards, took me a few seconds to recognise it for sure. Black, clean and shiny, good patina, knock-off wire wheels aluminium-painted, roof down although there was a thin rain falling and I had the Chrysler's wipers on intermittent wipe. Driver was middle-aged, younger than me, burly, tanned, ruling-class mug in profile, flat cap and barbour. Enjoying his rare old sports car to the full in the wet on its crossplies and with its drum brakes which, when slowing down from any speed, he would hit twice to ensure relatively stable retardation, wriggling a bit in the process... as one did. Its performance seemed about the same as the Chrysler's but I had to boot it to keep up. The AC smoked a bit and I could smell it through the ventilation. It danced about on the bumpy patches too. Needs dampers and bushes perhaps. But is still clearly that sublime thing: a car made to go and handle, damn the comfort and space.

I wanted to talk to the driver to find out for sure that it had the refined but relatively gutless AC engine rather than the Bristol unit some of these cars had. There was no Bristol tab under the round AC badge on the boot, but perhaps there was on the front.

When it turned off, the driver giving a highly visible left turn signal with his left arm (his aftermarket flashers being a bit feeble, as were his brake lights) I gave a flash and a toot. Hope he understood given the motor I am now driving.

In the evening, got daughter's fiance to drive me to the pub in his tweaked Highline GTR. It is docile and not offensively noisy on a light throttle despite the huge exhaust, and the suspension is surprisingly absorbent over bumps.

The differentials growled and snatched round any sharp turn though. You wouldn't want to haul it round London really, especially at 6 mpg or whatever it does. It isn't really a road car. The owner tickled it a bit in two of the lower gears when the opportunity arose, complete with charming clonkTWEET semi-full bore gearchange. It goes very well, far too well for me to be able to judge it. Even my wife's cousin, essentially there for the beer, sounded impressed despite the roll cage he was draped round in the back seat.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Pugugly
A very nice China blue Triumph Herald convertible - hood up despite enough blue sky to make a sailor's trousers. Baby strapped to the front speed may have been the reason though.
Call me old fashioned but I'd have strapped the baby in the car rather than to the front but it takes all sorts I s'pose...............
It's the latest Solomon-like legal order to curb the excesses of reckless women drivers HB...
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - daveyjp
Bit of a cheat as it was a the Jaguar Enthusiast meet, but so many V12 engined vehicles in one place is just wrong!

The 1996 XJ V12 with 60,000 miles and in mint condition for £3,400 was sooo tempting.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - mike hannon
>The 1996 XJ V12 with 60,000 miles and in mint condition for £3,400 was sooo tempting. <

Go on, you know you want to...
If you only take it out on fine days it won't even break the bank. ;-)
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Bromptonaut
Annual gathering of SWMBO's family today. Amongst the usual euro/jap boxes and three Partners/Berlingos was a 1963 A registration Singer Vogue Estate. Two tone green (body olive but roof pale), matching green seats. Some way off concours presentation but very well preserved.

Owner explained that it's main use was towing a contemporary caravan and that he'd used it today due a fault with the usual modern Fiat. Pushing 100k miles on the original engine, runs OK on unleaded bu he's aware of gradual valve recession. Opened the bonnet to show us the motor which resposed in a spacious bay. Air cleaner and carb on top, pair of hydraulic cylinders at rear but no servo apparent. Steering linkages seemed to lack any obvious rack.

Brought back memories of several Victors and a single Simca 1500 GLS Estate my father had in the same era.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/07/2009 at 23:54

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Andy P
Saw my first GT-R on the road yesterday in black. Looked positively evil but sounded glorious.
Very smart black MG TF on a 09 plate - was this one of the last MGRover ones or a Chinese CKD ?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - OldSock
In a company car park yesterday:

Not one, but two identical-spec Renault Safranes

UK-registered, I might add :-)
Two days ago, parked down the road in my street on a yellow line, a black Porsche 911 Turbo with the registration HA5 50UL
HA5 50UL

I meant to add: music industry suits, and some lucky performers, own some of the best horseflesh just round where I live.

Not so unusual really, but there's one of those flash new Maserati coupes parked in the residents' bay more or less in front of the house. More likely I would have thought to belong to someone who lives round the corner, but you never know. One of the adjoining streets is a bad-luck parking place to me and I never park there although it is mainly quite posh. Perhaps the Maserati owner lives there and has the same feeling about his street that I do.

They are pretty cars but I preferred them a few years ago when they were less ornate in their detail trim. They look good shabby too (but not bent).
M1 northbound yesterday. Maybe Northamptonish, can't remember actually, nightmare of a journey......

Anyway, a large Volvo estate based thing. Might once have been a hearse but now perhaps converted into a van. Might have been purpose built though as it seemed to sit higher like those Volvo 4x4 estates but with a tall van like back end. Yellowish orange and bedecked with stickers promoting the Mongol Rally /Kiwi/ New Zealand team. Roof rack groaning with jerrycans and spare wheels. Bull bars and extra lights etc on the front. Looked as if it had been used for it's alleged purpose too.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 18/07/2009 at 12:38

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Paddler Ed
Anyway a large Volvo estate based thing. Might once have been a hearse but now
perhaps converted into a van. Might have been purpose built though as it seemed to
sit higher like those Volvo 4x4 estates but with a tall van like back end.
Yellowish orange and bedecked with stickers promoting the Mongol Rally /Kiwi/ New Zealand team. Roof
rack groaning with jerrycans and spare wheels. Bull bars and extra lights etc on the
front. Looked as if it had been used for it's alleged purpose too.

If you look at mongolrally.se you'll see what they are doing. We shared a ferry out to France with a load of other cars doing the same event; those guys are taking it from Sweeden to Mongolia where it will work as an ambulance out there. It's an S80 AWD ambulance, so is ideal for the work that it will perform out there. They were factory made/authorised, but not very common in the UK. We spotted it as we were leaving Dunkerque on the 18th July.

Also spotted on that holiday was a Citroen DS decap in Barjac (Gard)

Have photos of both, but as I don't know how to convert to tinyurls, I'll not post the link to stalkbook.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - borasport20
Last Wednesday morning and it's my weekly trip to the other side of the hill over the M62.
You now how it is, the skies are rain laden, it's widdling down but we are all still managing to get along at 60-70 in fairly dense traffic, every now and then your lane slows, it picks up, the adjoining lane slows, you pass the same cars s couple of times.
You begin to register something odd about the Audi A4 on your right - it that a dent in the bonnet, is it a mascot - no - antennae (or whatever they are called) swept back in a parody of the 'Spirit of Ecstasy', what he has clinging for grim life to the very leading edge of his bonnet as he passes me, and I'm doing an indicated 65, is a common or garden snail.......

life in the fast lane, eh ?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - 1400ted
he passes me and I'm doing an indicated 65 is a common or garden snail.......

HaHa. Took the wheels off the caravan last week to clean out the brake dust. Just come back from 160 mile round trip.

Found a close relative of L'Escargot suctioned firmly to the back of one of the wheels ! I have to ask, what pleasure do they get out of it ?

Ted
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Chicken Vindaloo
A black Ford Focus with the twin white stripes along the bonnet, roof and tailgate. Nothing too unusual there, but it had the best number plate I've seen in ages. BA06 ERA spaced (and with cunning use of screws) to read BADGER A. Brilliant.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Sofa Spud
On the A4 in Wiltshire yesterday - a beautiful red 1930's straight-8 Alfa Romeo open tourer - sounded amazing too.
In Gerainger Norway last Thursday a Bugatti in a hotel foyer.

Then on Friday an early Audi Quattro in Bergen.

Then on Saturday the P&O 'Oceana' limping into Southampton water two hours late, much to our chagrin.

Even worse the crew informed us it was due to strong headwinds. Then why the huge tug under the bow then chaps?? Never try and kid a kidder.

Martin D
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Old Navy
This morning on the A91 near Cupar (Fife) travelling west, a yellow Bentley estate car, followed by a standard Bentley. Both had the "Arnage" shape front, but as they were travelling towards me I didnt get a good look.
Edit - Having "Googled" I think it was a Val d'Isere version built by Jankel.

Edited by Old Navy on 26/07/2009 at 17:28

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Rover P6B
OldNavy, it belongs to the Sultan of Brunei and has the most horribly tacky interior you could ever imagine (lots of yellow, brown and pink, I seem to remember). He also has a more tasteful silver one.
a yellow Bentley estate car

My case rests ladies and gentlemen, my case rests !!!

;-)
Pity Lexus dont do an estate.
I saw an MGRV8 in green - lovely car ! Coincidentally in the exact same spot (exact mark you !) as I saw a prototype being road tested many years ago just before they came out.

Also on Friday in a lay by on a busy trunk road an older couple picnicing in classical style with the boot of their locally registered Mondeo wide open. In the middle of beautiful country where even a couple of hundred yards in any direction would have found them a quieter spot !

Edited by Pugugly on 26/07/2009 at 17:26

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Rattle
Seen a few yesterday.

A DMC W reg the so called stainless steal paint finish was looking tired.

A Lotus Esprit V8

A Bond mini car in orange on the east lancs.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Alanovich
A bright yellow Hillman Imp plodding through Reading yesterday. N-reg. Reminded me of the black Singer Chamois my Mum used to have, which I'd forgotten about.
In desperation, because there seems to be nothing interesting about round here at the moment: at a car boot sale yesterday, in the middle of a little village, a life-size 2CV wearing a big funny hat but all done in paper flowers. Why would anybody spend what must have been days doing that?
As ever, the camera was in our other car.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - madux
Waiting for a ferry in Le Havre on Thursday night; a convoy of French reg. TR2s, 3s, 4s and 5s. Immaculate. Must have been a rally in blighty somewhere.......
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Alanovich
There were signs all over the North Reading area for a "Triumph Exhibition" (I think that's the word) at Reading Abbey Rugby Club this weekend. Could be the one.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Sofa Spud
A nice cream Jaguar XK 120 coupe - a rare car, I think - on the A362 near Frome.
Followed a maroon and black Veyron down part of my rat run to Victoria yesterday evening to meet Ms Lud at the station. How small and compact it was, how clean and shiny, how inaudible, and how damnably expensive. For some time before it turned left at Fulham Road in the general direction of South Kensington it was lurking behind a taxi and invisible as well as inaudible. But you could tell where it was by the way people on the pavement all stared at it, a million quid on wheels, wow!

Made the above-average concentration of Astons, Mercs, Ferraris and so on in that part of town look pretty cheap, I can tell you. But I still don't want one, fortunately.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - henry k
A mundane early 1950s Ford Consul in a multi storey carpark in Richmond on Thames.
I guess it is in regular use as it is mid week rather than a Sunday outing .

This sort of colour but not as shiny as this rather fine looking example in a nice pic
vrc1986.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictur...g
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - ifithelps
A Merc 560 SEC just outside Sunderland, Tyne and Wear.

It was an F-reg and in a nondescript metallic brown and looked to be in daily use.

Big old bus, for a two door.

Made a nice burbling sound as it left me at the lights.

Edited by ifithelps on 28/07/2009 at 20:22

A few weeks ago, an old Lincoln or Pontiac (I think) coupé on a transporter on the M25 going clockwise near Heathrow and (a couple of weeks apart) at the same spot (A24 Leatherhead Bypass, passing the turnoff for Headley Court) an Ariel Atom and a BMW M1. Also spotted lately some 4 Triumph Stags, three Rover P6s (one of which belongs to the Met and is armoured and was used to transport Mrs Thatcher - they also had a Mk10 Jag, another P6, and two SD1s at a show at Brooklands), two or three Rover P5s, three Morris Minors (one saloon - bright purple - the owner is known to me - and two powder blue examples, a Traveller and a convertible), several Jag E-types, an XK120 (with an E-type in central Woodstock), an Aston Martin DB6 Volante on the M25 near Godstone, going clockwise, an Austin Seven, regular sightings of a C-reg Rover SD1 next to Waitrose car park in Cobham, Surrey, with Rangey 4L V8 and BMW Orient Blue respray, looks very nice, a MkII Jag and a Porsche 928 at a small secondhand dealer in Hertfordshire, a 944 parked in Leatherhead, hordes of 911s at Blenheim Palace recently (I was there for a very different reason and, in any case, have a deep hatred of all Porsches except the front-engined ones), a Singer Vogue/Humber Sceptre Mk1 at the Givons Grove roundabout on the A24, having come up from the Dorking direction, two Jag XJSs (one coupé, one convertible), a Lamborghini Countach, two MG Midgets (one an Austin-Healey badged example which lives round the corner from me), numerous MGBs, a MkI and a MkIII Cortina, a MkII Capri, the odd VW Karmann Ghia, a few Range Rover Classics, the odd old Land Rover, an BMW E23 7-series, a Studebaker Hawk coupé, a Bristol 411, several Alvis TD21s, a TE21, (all the Alvises, the Studebaker, the Bristol and the Morris Traveller all parked in a street near Guildford College, which I attended, and the other two Morrises and the Austin 7 at the college itself). I think I might have seen a BMW 2002 recently, too. I've also seen the odd Citroen DS and SM in recent months, plus a couple of Triumph Heralds (one lives round the corner from me, a few doors down from the Austin-Healey Midget or whatever it is - this Herald is thoroughly rotten and shares space outside this house with an MG TC or similar). The other Midget I've seen shares a street with a white Daimler DS420. Oh, does an Audi R8 or some kind of 1990s Ferrari count? I'm pretty sure a late-model Mini doesn't... I've also seen at least four Merc W123s, two 2-doors, a 4-door and an estate. The 4-door was also spotted at the same Waitrose as the SD1, along with a Mk4 Cortina estate... Satisfied yet? I'm not sure if I've got everything, but it's all I can remember just now. Oh, and three BMW E39 Tourings - one in the very rare Toledo Blue, two in the less rare but still not common Oxford Green (one, curiously, on the Woodstock Road in Oxford! The other doesn't really count as it belongs to my parents). Right, I think that's it. Unless anything I saw on recent visits to Mercedes-Benz world counts, which means a Pagoda, three 300SLs, a 600 Pullman, a standard 600, a 450SEL, and others...
You have left us nothing Sir.
He's saved them up for weeks, but is clearly a true car bore, one of us, even if he did take notes.

I see this thread as something you do as and when, like radio when you are being a freelance hack. Radio people love immediacy, and so do we car bores. It's a thrill to be told of that Model T chuffing through Kentish town, or that Ferrari whooping and stuttering through the Glens... .
Lud, there was no note-taking, those were all straight from memory. I also saw an impromptu gathering a little while ago at Sissinghurst in Kent (National Rust) of various cars on the Austrian register, mostly 1920s-30s - two old Lagondas, possibly a W. O. Bentley, an old AC, plus a pair of LHD E-types (silver convertible, red coupé). Again, all from memory.
no note-taking

As I said, one of us. Mind like an abandoned classic car dealership...

:o}
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - ukbeefy
Saw a BMW M5 latest shape and what was unusual was the colour...it was like a supermatt army type paint...imagine the sort of superdull paint that I imagine a KalasniKov or a tank is painted - ie no reflection at all...very utility/Bladerunner esq. It really did look rather menacing. Is it a special order paint?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - glowplug
This is a cheat because it was at a small classics gathering but I've never seen before - a pristine silver grey Triumph 1800 Roadster.

That's the nice thing about this time of year, you get to see cars that don't come out at any other time.

Steve.
Today I saw a Triumph TR4 parked by the A25 in Westcott, then, down the road at Abinger Hammer, is a little workshop, in which were a Rover SD1 and a Jaguar E-type, while parked outside it were three Triumph Stags and a further two E-types. I then headed south to Holmbury St. Mary and saw, parked outside a large, very fine 17th Century house a FOURTH Stag. Oh, and I saw the other day what might have been some kind of Sunbeam roadster in a Smart dealership in Guildford, by the A246. I do hope it wasn't in for scrapping.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - stunorthants26
I saw a Ford Sierra yesterday, old one, private plate but it was no newer than an '85 model judging by the shape, looked like a GL and had one of those foam rear spoilers that were so popular back then.
Guy driving it looked in his 60's and while the car wasnt clean by any stretch, it wasnt rusty either, so just proves you dont need to stick cars in a heated garage and polish them every week to make them last!
Not seen one that old since I had my '86 estate.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - captain chaos
Northbound on the M6 the other day, between J.35 &36. A black '80 Turbo Trans Am, in superb condition.
An Austin Allegro estate in red on German plates ! (in the UK !)
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - maz64
Forgot to mention it at the time, but I'd never seen a Chrysler Sebring until I saw Davina McCall driving hers around on 'Who do you think you are' a few weeks ago. HJ gives it 1 star in the CBCB - not sure what made her choose it, as presumably she's not short of the odd bob or two.

iPlayer: tinyurl.com/l2tqay car can be seen at 2:20
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - AlastairW
I imagine the Sebring was rented. I'm pretty sure she has a Range Rover in 'real life'.
I imagine the Sebring was rented. I'm pretty sure she has a Range Rover in
'real life'.

Ah, that would make more sense. Although it does beg the question - why have the rental company get them?
I was ovaken by a black 54 plate Nissan Cube today on the A14. Quite a striking car even in such a subude colour. Look forward to seeing more around, would be great for my work...
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - bathtub tom
A black tuk-tuk just went past my house in Bedford. I thought I saw one the other day, but didn't believe my eyes because it didn't have that distinctive sound. It was almost silent.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - PW
Got a few recent ones that have been meaning to post. Starting with the latest first saw an immaculate Lancia Fulvia 1.6 at a local car boot on Sunday. Was just wandering over to take some photos when the owner and friend came back. Didn't seem to want to chat unfortunately, but did find out it had been restored over the last 3 years. Owner had done a fantastic job on it, and was a beautiful sight to behold.

A few days prior to that saw an old Morris Ital in blue with the white multi spoke wheels that were popular back in the 80's. Looked in good condition, and seemed to be a daily runner.

Going further back on 17th July (only remember that as was 2 days before we had T4 on the beach in town) had a white with blue stripes Ford GT driving towards the sea front. Couldn't see the driver but did wonder if was someone linked with the concert.

Final one can remember was from way back in earlyt June. Was only a fleeting glimpse as was coming of a roundabout on the dual carriageway into town, going in the opposite direction, of a Porsche Carrera GT. Looked like it was in regular use as was quite dirty (although for a change this summer was raining at the time).

Actually, just remember another one, there is a second generation Lancia Delta from mid to late 90's that I keep seeing in the multi storey in town.
I meant to mention, on a recent trip to Oxford, I saw a brown Allegro estate on the M25, and a dark red Lancia Fulvia Zagato on the Oxford Ring Road.
Tonight I saw something I thought Id never see........

A cyclist waiting at a red light.
Yes...honest.... stationary at the white line, heading a queue.... I had to look twice!
Tonight I saw something I thought Id never see........
A cyclist waiting at a red light.
Yes...honest.... stationary at the white line heading a queue.... I had to look twice!

I do most of my travelling on a pushbike and, whenever I'm faced with a red light, I do stop at it (though I have been known occasionally to mount a pavement if there are no pedestrians in the immediate vicinity, and to go through an amber light).
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - freddy1
on a recent road trip ,to blackpool, i saw an old royal enfiels , made out as a cafe racer , boy did it sound good

i39.tinypic.com/207ujqc.jpg

I know this , because I was riding her
My pal reckons he saw an Enfield India with a diesel engine the other day...
They do exist - I seem to recall that Motorcycle Sport ran an article on them many years ago- possibly a Robin (?) engine.
And here is a link to diesel motorbikes.....

tinyurl.com/dieselbike
enfield do not import the diesel version, there is a guy in glamorganshire that builds them , google priceparts
>>an old royal enfield , made out as a cafe racer

I love that distinctive 'twang' from the exhaust at full throttle if the baffles have been taken out.

But I'm sure you wouldn't dream of doing anything like that, would you? ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 07/08/2009 at 00:35

tis a goldstar pipe strieght thru , with abit of mesh at the front , you can see daylight thru it?

there is a baffle (optional) that bolts in at the back , this has got "tangs" that you can bend , to reduce the noise.

last MOT , in sunny garstang , he asked me to turn it off , coz I was frightening the sheep!

on that year of bike there is no emmision test
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - OldSock
Last weekend spotted on the other side of the road, a dark-greenish Vauxhall Chevette hatchback driven by an elderly (Trilby-hatted) gent.

My sister had one in the early 80s. A grim, soulless car - even worse than her HC Viva....
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - bell boy
disagree oldsock
a basic shuvit could outcorner most bread and butter cars of its day,it was economical,easy to drive and very economical
good cars
i had one a few years ago with a 1600 kent fitted,it was a complete car
i regret selling it
I'm thinking, engine mounts, radiator and hoses, exhaust plumbing, gearbox and propshaft.

Why would anyone want those headaches when there was the 1800 and 2.3 (?)-litre OHC Vivas?

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 07/08/2009 at 00:40

Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - 1400ted
My next door neighbour...3 ago,...had an orange Viva with a Colt/Mitsu engine in it. About 20 yrs ago now.
Pal from the Jowett Club came last Saturday to collect some bits. Turned up in a Chrysler Crossfire. Looked quite nifty...said it was on a Merc platform.
Know nowt about them !

Ted
>>Turned up in a Chrysler Crossfire. Looked quite nifty...said it was on a Merc platform.
Know nowt about them !<<

I think its a MK1 Merc SLK underneath or atleast some of it is. My mum adores these things, she wants one to replace her Hyundai Coupe when the time comes.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - LikedDrivingOnce
Your Mum & Dad's driveway would be a site to behold.

A Materia and a Crossfire. Sounds like something from a surrealist painting! :-)
I know, but what can you do, parents seem to get to the age where they no longer care what other people think and buy the car they really want regardless of the press, JC or the folk next door.
Individuality is not achieved by speccing a Mini with chrome bits, its buying cars most people have never heard of, or in the case of the Materia, even seen. Sometimes you uncover a hidden gem by doing that.
i wouldnt recommend anyone to get a crossfire
check out spares prices before commiting to a newer shell on an old floorpan
they only sell because of their looks and that back bumper is a right piece of dross
Going up to the Lakes on the M40 Saturday morning passed a number of original Minis, on their way to a Mini show in Brum according to something I heard on the radio.

At one point I saw in my mirror what looked like an older example being overtaken by a previous model Micra - looking at them front on, side by side, the Mini made the Micra look quite big.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Dynamic Dave
passed a number of original Minis on their way to a Mini show in Brum

Ah, so that's where they were going. I passed at least 10 left hookers on Friday evening on the M40.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - oldnotbold
A Reliant Kitten parked in Wallingford today.
A BMW 5 Series Coupe, balck, Italian plates - stunning looking motor - I want one. :-(
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - Kiwi Gary
Operating, with no sign of distress, a Hillman Imp van
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - commerdriver
Operating with no sign of distress a Hillman Imp van

Probably badged as a Commer rather than a Hillman
www.imps4ever.info/family/van.html

Some pictures here - note the signwritten one (LHD in white) towards the bottom of the page - eeeek !
Wonderful! Thanks PU
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - madux
I thought Commer was Ford name. Oh no, I am thinking of Thames....

Edited by madux on 13/08/2009 at 01:12

Better not mention Karrier then !
I thought Commer was Ford name. Oh no I am thinking of Thames....

go immediately to the naughty corner and think about how bad you've been :-)
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - redviper
lots of various Triumphs, including a fantastic looking Stag on the A19 north of Middlesbrough on Sunday - there must have been a meet for Triumph owners.
Saw a yellow TR6, seemingly unrestored, on the A243 Leatherhead Bypass on Thursday, heading south to the A24. Also, thinking of fantastic Stags, I saw one on eBay lately - fully restored and resprayed - it went for an unbelievable £18,400 (and 'twas a bargain at that!).
Very, very understated in a light metallic blue a BMW/Alpina B10 V8 - according to the badges and looking a the exhausts and wheels no need to suspect it was a badged up 520 - very, very nice unmolested example. Special.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - alfatrike
saw a six wheel stretched hummer limo today, looked longer than an artic!
Unusual Sightings - Volume 24 - gordonbennet
looked longer than an artic!

And about as much class...they make me cringe these eyesore American stretch things.

Followed a mini pick up complete with Ifor Williams type galvanized canopy M42 Friday, seemed to be in workaday condition not a showpiece, light blue almost a torquoise.
About an hour ago, near my house on the local pub mile. A late '60s Cadillac Eldorado in dark burgundy with a black vinyl roof. Looked more or less perfect.

Young fella driving it. Made a welcome change from the usual interfered with Saxo or Corsa more often favoured by his generation.

Huge, even by modern standards. It must have looked massive in its day.
A fairly new mx5 in metallic blue on the hard shoulder of the m62 near ferrybridge on friday morning,i gave him a toot toot as i passed ,he was whistle and fluted and didnt look in the best of moods (bet he takes his own car next time rather than the wifes).