Kids Playing in Cars - Bromptonaut
Neighbour's 11 year old son seems to use his Mum's Honda CRV as a playground. Jumps in and turns on the stereo, sits in the driving seat making vroom noises etc. Even plays ball games in and out of the car. Returned his strayed football a while ago to see one of his mates standing on the bonnet.

I've warned Bromp junior off after finding him in the passenger seat this afternoon.

What are other backroomer's views on kids playing around cars?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/07/2009 at 22:14

Kids Playing in Cars - deepwith
Absolute No-no, sounds like your neighbours child will be the sort of student who thought it funny to jump on my daughters car a few years ago. I know he was 'in his cups' but he still gives me a very wide berth!

Suspect his games in the car will be stopped on the day Mum wants to use the car and finds the battery is flat.
Kids Playing in Cars - bathtub tom
I've posted before about a colleagues child who died in a car fire because he was left alone in it and apparently found some matches.

There's a legal minimum age for being in charge of a motor vehicle - for very good reasons. Any parent who ignores it must bear responsibilty for the consequences.
Kids Playing in Cars - Harleyman
Neighbour's 11 year old son seems to use his Mum's Honda CRV as a playground.
Jumps in and turns on the stereo sits in the driving seat making vroom noises
etc.

What are other backroomer's views on kids playing around cars?

Has it crossed your mind that in only six years he'll be legally old enough to drive the thing?

Far sooner see kids doing that than hiding away in their rooms playing PC games; at least the lad's out in the fresh air.

Didn't you ever do the same? I did, but only with the old man's permission and NEVER, on pain of a horrible and prolonged death, with the keys in.
Kids Playing in Cars - zookeeper
i was friendly with kids whos parents owned an ice cream empire, we spent a lot of the summer holidays behind the wheel of ice cream vans that were in the rear compound , we even managed to get one started...frit the life out of us
Kids Playing in Cars - Dynamic Dave
In my early teenage years me and a few mates used to go down to the barn the farmer kept his tractors in. Back then it was easy to unlock and start them with the keys that open corned beef tins. We only used to moved them forwards and backwards a few yards. It was more fun just revving the engines and filling the barn up with exhaust smoke. Little did we know then that the fumes could have killed us.
Kids Playing in Cars - daveyjp
The problem is cars aren't built for major abuse, children don't know this and may not be aware how a lot of items work and push or twist switchgear the wrong way.

They wont appreciate how flimsy some components are as they are designed to be handled gently.

A broken indicator stalk could cause real inconvenience when you next get in the car!

Kids Playing in Cars - Bromptonaut
Has it crossed your mind that in only six years he'll be legally old enough
to drive the thing?

The idea that he'll shortly be an adolescent is frightening enough!
Didn't you ever do the same? I did but only with the old man's permission
and NEVER on pain of a horrible and prolonged death with the keys in.

No way I'd EVER have had permission (not that it stopped me from doing things unseen!). It's the parental permission, or at least acquiesence, here that bothers me. If he breaks something it's his Mum's problem. If he knocks the brake off their drive has a slope and other, younger, kids could be playing behind or in the roadway of our quiet cul de sac.