01 1.4 Tapping Noise - jpg
I have a 1.4 8v Polo bought new in 2001. Earlier this year the engine became very noisy, particularly when cold. 20 years ago I would have said the tappets needed adjusting. However when I asked about this during the annual service MOT I was told by the mechanic that the tappets were self adjusting and that the engine was just "noisy". The car still runs OK and it passed the MOT but the tapping is getting louder and louder , particularly when accelerating . I have a feeling that sooner or later something catastrophic is going to happen but I can`t seem to find any garage prepared to take me seriously. Anyone have any idea what could be happening

Thanks

01 1.4 Tapping Noise - bell boy
is your service history impeccable?
when did you last have it serviced?
how long have you owned it?
I have owned it from new, 2001 . I think my service history is impecable athough I stopped having it serviced by the VW dealer as soon as the warranty ran out , the service they gave was not very good. It was serviced and MOT'd three weeks ago , I also had a new catalytic converter fitted as the old exhaust had developed a leak.

The noise just seems to get louder and louder.

Thanks
01 1.4 Tapping Noise - Rattle
What oil are you using? Could this be a faulty oil filter seems a bit strange it has happened so soon after the service.
sorry I have not made myself clear , the tapping noise has been going on for some months since early this year . I was kind of hoping that the service would cure it , or that the mechanic would say what was wrong, but neither happenned.

I do not know what kind of oil the mechanic used , but I trust him to get it right.

Thanks again
01 1.4 Tapping Noise - Binks1311

Hi there,

Did you manage to get this sorted? I have exactly the same concerns with my Polo which is a 2000 1.4 model. I also have a message that comes on display where the mileage is read either 01L Service or OIL Service. I have checked the oil and it is fine but the tapping noice is worrying me. It is, like yours, more so when it is cold and when I am accelerating. Can you give me any guidance from your own experience?

Many thanks

Julie

01 1.4 Tapping Noise - Big John

Is it worse when first started or when it has been running for a while (I know you mentioned noisy when cold - not sure if this was cold weather or first started).

If it is not worse when very hot then probably not big ends etc.. Could be piston slap but my gut feel would be the hydraulic tappets.

I had a VW engine a few years ago with a dodgy hydraulic tappet, using an engine flush helped but eventually I replaced them . If you do think it is this change the water pump, antifreeze and fit new cambelt kit whilst you are at it - if I remember correctly it wasn't tooo difficult - but it was a loooong time ago.

01 1.4 Tapping Noise - Tom Conder

Hi

I have the same issue with a 2005 Polo literally since i picked it up from the Garage last night after having a new Cat fitted. Interesting that you said you had one done as well. I'm going to contact the garage and take mine back as it can't be coincidence!