Rules for double yellow lines? - Orson {P}
Can anyone assist me with the rules/considerations that councils need to bear in mind when granting (or more specifically removing) double yellow lines? I'm looking into the possibility of asking them to remove lines from somewhere.

Thanks
Rules for double yellow lines? - Mr X
Most councils will hide behind the mantra ' safety " when putting down lines, followed by " easing congestion ".
My council has done just that recently, throwing yellow lines here there and every where, even in places where there has been no accidents or congestion problems.

Might be a coincidence but the arrival of all the the lines happened at the same time as they handed over parking enforcement to a private company on a share the fines arrangement.

Some areas where there where yellow lines became instantly safe when the lines where replaced by Pay and Display machines and bays.

So it will depend a lot on who is profiting from the lines you are talking about as to whether they will remove them.

Rules for double yellow lines? - Brassneck

In August 2010 I asked my council if they could remove just 3 feet of yellow lines so that I could park my car in front of my terraced house on a very busy main road 20 meters from a mini roundabout. They told me yhat they were not in the business of providing me with a parking space in front of my house, that because of the position there wasn't a cat in hells' chance and then reminded me of what would happen if I park on yellows.

!2 months later they removed 10 meters!

It can be done! You just need to stop thinking that parking on yellows is against the law because it isn't. I have a letter from my local council parking enforcement department and a similar letter from my MP stating that it is NOTagainst the law to park on yellow lines!! That's when I realised that they had been fooling me for years. And YOU!

They are covered by REGULATIONS, and we all know that regulations don't have to be followed and you won't get into trouble. Ask the bankers or the politicians or the church or any large corporation ( like your council). They are their regulations not mine!

The way they get you into court is by getting you to sign their paperwork thereby agreeing to the process being forced upon your person and trapping yourself into paying a debt that isn't yours.

It would need a presentation really to get it all across, but I went through it and came out the other end. So much so thar I recently got a PCN from my lovely council just before Christmas so I just wrote to them recently, to tell them that I would send them a bill for administering their paperwork if they persist in trying to do business with me. I haven't heard anything yet, but will keep you posted.

Rules for double yellow lines? - Hamsafar

Yes, I do something similar with TfL and the 'congestion' charge.

Rules for double yellow lines? - Ed V

I doubt I'm the only one who would appreciate some additional clarity on why double yellows don't make it illegal to park on them. Or is that not what you've said?

Rules for double yellow lines? - daveyjp
You should be able to find out why they were put there and if this is no longer a valid reason they may remove them.

We have just had lots removed from a quiet side street near the local railway station to provide more parking.

Best way to start this is to approach a local Councillor and ask them how you go about it.

Remember if lines are removed you'll potentially end up with cars parked there all the time, so it may not free up spaces.

Rules for double yellow lines? - Dwight Van Driver
Very difficult

Before the lines were put down the Ordert had to be advertised and objections invited.
This would be followed by consultation with other bodies and only brought in when the evidence and concensus of opinion was for it.

If it is now that the use of the road etc has changed dramatically then a single voice isn't going to be heard. It is petition time - loads of others agreeing with your submission and having your local Councillor on board, plus the local media.

If you can kick up enough 'hoo-haa' they may just listen.

dvd
Rules for double yellow lines? - concrete

As ever the devil is in the detail. All yellow lines, signs and indicators are supposed to conform to certain standards. Not only the original purpose, usually backed up with a Bye-Law, but also there is a strict manner of their layout, size, position etc. I am reminded of the chap in a small N.Yorkshire town who was surprised to receive a parking ticket. He thought the general street furniture did not sufficiently indicate the parking regulations. After some research he ignored the fixed penalty and went to court. He won hands down on the grounds that the council had not conformed to the strict layout defined in the Road Traffic Act. He continued with this course of action several times until he then threatened the council with legal action for persistant negligence and harrassment, if they issued him with another ticket. Eventually the council had to re-paint the lines, erect the signs correctly and provide clear and distinctive messages on their signs. It pays to check things out, the problem being knowing where to look. It can be done though. Cheers Concrete

Rules for double yellow lines? - jamie745

Rules? Where councils are involved there are no.....rules.

Rules for double yellow lines? - veryoldbear

Mind you I did enjoy this ...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-22158829

Rules for double yellow lines? - concrete

Rules? Where councils are involved there are no.....rules.

Hello jamie, I thought everyone knew this; the first rule of dealing with any local authority is to remember that they make the rules. They are also pretty good at breaking them too when it suits them and do not like to be upbraided about it either. Cheers Concrete