ANPR question. - 1400ted
Just a hypothetical question. We all have read about drivers being pinged for no insuance when they were insured.
What would be the position if you were captured and had your car impounded...but....you were towing a caravan or a boat...or even a horse in a trailer.
Would they take the lot ? Or would you and your family be left at the roadside with your trailer, etc. Or would they do the sensible thing and just issue a HO/RT/! ( producer )

Just wondering.

Ted
ANPR question. - Mr X
Pretty sure they just take the car.
ANPR question. - Westpig
trouble is Ted...admin units won't deal with 'just a HO/RT1' (producer)...they'll only deal if accompanied by a Collision Report Book or process book with an offence in it

there was a directive about it years ago...at least 15 to my knowledge...certainly in my area anyway
ANPR question. - Fullchat
???? I'll have a pint of what you are on WP :-]
ANPR question. - MikeTorque
If it was me they'd probably send a chopper and fly the whole lot to a safe zone and then fasten me to the wing of an F22, throw in 9 G for a few laughs and then target me to get the beers in (or tea for the duty guys), followed by the end of a career.
ANPR question. - Ben 10
If you're towing a caravan, the number plate of the car is displayed on the rear end. I would suppose they would confiscate the lot.
ANPR question. - bell boy
it might be a danger to leaves loose trailers by the road with no means of lighting them up so i reckon the lot would be impounded for public safety
make sure you have plenty of carrots to feed through the compound fence 1400ted to old bessie
ANPR question. - bathtub tom
Westpig:

I read your reply, erm, can you now explain it please?
ANPR question. - Westpig
I read your reply erm can you now explain it please?

>>
In the old days, if a patrolling officer stopped a car and wanted to know that the driver had insurance, driving licence or MOT (there being a power to stop solely to establish the insurance or D/L) then if the driver did not have their docs with them (which they don't have to) then you issued the 'producer' (HO/RT1 which I think stands for Home Office/ Road Traffic 1).

It was bread and butter policing and very common for a patrolling officer to use.

The admin of it, certainly in my area, was done by civilian Criminal Justice Units. A good 15 years ago or more, we were instructed that speculative HO/RT1's i.e. those not supported by other evidence, would not be processed, as it was apparently using a fair amount of staff and was not considered overly productive.

I remember at the time querying it, when I stopped a young lad driving his dad's Granada/Scorpio..and dad was a minicab. I didn't think the young lad would have insurance because dad would have had business insurance for being a cabby and it would have been prohibitively expensive to have a youngster on it..despite me leaving a memo with the HO/RT1 when it was submitted, it was 'bounced' and not processed.

Since then it has become a lot easier to check these things via other means 24 hours a day.

I can only presume it is not like this in all areas (see Fullchat's comment above..unless of course it was he on the sauce...:-)....)

Part of me disagreed with it...and part of me understands the increased workloads etc and the need to prioritise work. Not ideal at the time though and can still let people through the system.
Aaah now I understand it!

Whilst technology and computer databases have moved on to provide relevant information at the roadside HO/RT1 production is dealt with as it has always been. The driver produces at the nominated Police station and the HO/RT2 (details required by the stopping Officer) returned to that Officer who would submit a process file if necessary. All very simple. Perhaps too much reliance on databases and backroom admin staff??? Positives and negatives to the system.
ANPR question. - Westpig
The driver produces at the nominated Police station and the HO/RT2 (details required by the stopping Officer) returned to that Officer who would submit a process file if necessary.

In London, the officer would submit the initial document e.g. HO/RT1, process book, CRB or FPN and that's the last they'd see of it...unless a statement was needed, in which case they'd complete that and forward it back to the admin unit.
Different processes, same end result - hopefully.
ANPR question. - 1400ted
WP .Interesting...of course it was all we had in my day. So if you get stopped for a spot check, say, nothing wrong with you or the car and you haven't got your docs with you. Then a HORT! wouldn't be issued...just a pnc check at the scene ?

Ted
ANPR question. - woodster
Ted, HORT/1 mostly redundant. Driving licence, insurance and MOT all accessible via PNC. HORT/1 if there's doubt, particularly about insurance, but insufficient suspicion to seize. Or if PNC is down, radio too busy etc. But rarely used now for car drivers.
ANPR question. - Dwight Van Driver
....so why is Section 164, S 165 still on the statie book (RTA 88)?

dvd
ANPR question. - martint123
so why is Section 164, S 165 still on the statie book (RTA 88)?

Laziness probably - like a lot of outdated law.
ANPR question. - ifithelps
...like a lot of outdated law...

I think the death penalty for arson in Her Majesty's dockyard was only abolished a few years ago.