Snapped spark plug - Andy Velcro
Help!!

I've just snapped the spark plug clean off on my '95 1.1 Fiesta. The Dam thing had rusted paper thin above the threads and took no force at all. Any suggestions on how best to get the remaining bit out would be much appreciated!! I'm at a stagewhere you can see right through into the cylinder.

Thanks in advance.
Snapped spark plug - Ian (Cape Town)
Hoover all around the plug, squirt on a liberal amount of penetrating oil, and hopefully you'll be able to jam a screwdriver (with a slightly wider head than the hole) in and turn it out slowly. Try not to let bits fall into the cylinder!
Snapped spark plug - Armitage Shanks{P}
Can't help with the main question but may I suggest that if you can see thru into the cylinder some bits of the plug may have dropped into it? Sorry to sound like a doom merchant but it might be worth checking that you have all the bits of the broken plug!
Snapped spark plug - Blue {P}
Ouch! This is a common fault with the 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3 Ford engines, yep, AS is right, you'll have to check that nothing dropped inside, a Ford mechaninc at the main dealers a while back told me that this happened to his mother's Fiesta and it ruined the engine. :( You may need to have it drilled out. Check with yer local garage, they come across this all the time. The Ford dealers told me they get about 2 - 3 a month who have this problem!

Good luck, I hope you get it removed alright, apparently this tends to happen if the plug is left in for more than 10,000 miles.
Snapped spark plug - Dynamic Dave
Apart from what's already been suggested, you might want to shop around for a screw extractor or easy out.

www.purplehair.com/broken_screw.htm
Snapped spark plug - Cliff Pope
To hoover bits out of awkward places stick a length of thin pipe into the hoover snake and seal it with a rag. You can push this into the cylinder. Even if the bits are too big to go up the pipe they often cling onto the end by suction.
Snapped spark plug - Richard Hall
To hoover bits out of awkward places stick a length of
thin pipe into the hoover snake and seal it with a
rag. You can push this into the cylinder. Even if the
bits are too big to go up the pipe they often
cling onto the end by suction.

I wouldn't dare stick a vacuum cleaner hose into a cylinder. Any fuel vapour in there will be drawn into the vacuum cleaner, and if enough of it reaches the motor, there will be a big bang. I suspect you would have to be quite unlucky for this to happen, but if the inlet valve is open in the cylinder you are vacuuming, and you have a carburettor that leaks a bit of fuel into the inlet manifold...

Richard Hall
Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Snapped spark plug - Peter D
Been here before. The jammed in screw driver sometimes works but if you don't get it out within a few tried go for a screw extractor but feed a long thin strip of clean rag down through the whole with the piston at the half way point.

The extractor will produce metal debris but this will be moped up by the rag so when you have the plug out you can hook the length of rag whilst offering up a vacuum cleaner nozzle then pull out the rag and hopefully all the bits.

Vacuum inside the cylinder useing a small and all being well your done.

What make of plug was it because I do not want to buy any of those.

Good Luck

Peter
Peter D

The spark plugs where Motorcraft. I spoke to the previous owners and they said they've never changed the plugs and they had the car four years!!
Snapped spark plug - Blue {P}
Well, that explains it then, every 10,000 miles is the minimum required! Did they describe the car as been well maintained in their advert? Or even as having any recent servicing? If so you may be able to screw them for a bit of cash to fix it! :)
Snapped spark plug - Cliff Pope
>>
I wouldn't dare stick a vacuum cleaner hose into a cylinder.
Any fuel vapour in there will be drawn into the
vacuum cleaner, and if enough of it reaches the motor, there
will be a big bang. I suspect you would have
to be quite unlucky for this to happen, but if the
inlet valve is open in the cylinder you are vacuuming, and
you have a carburettor that leaks a bit of fuel into
the inlet manifold...

You make me want to try it now!
My guess is that even if anything did happen it would just be a rather feeble little flash out of the back of the hoover. I often clean out my Rayburn flue without shutting down the fire, using an OLD vacuum cleaner, and it seems to handle flames and sparks quite comfortably.
Don't try this at home if you are of a nervous disposition
Snapped spark plug - Peter D
Never had a problem and I always vacuum around the plug holes. If you are really really concerned, stick your finger over the plug holw and establish which is the compression stroke them both valves are closed.

Or use compressed air through a Schults or parrafin gun and attache your small peice of pipe onto the pick up tube. Best vacuum is available with a Schults Gun ( Under Sealing Gun )

Combustion is most powerful at 14 air to 1 fuel, min mix for a bang is 100 to one and the outgoing air from the vac is probably 2000 to one even if you could ingest fuel through the system.

Go for it and get that plug base out.

Peter
Well I tried the easy out option and failed miserably!! It is well and truly rusted in there, so this afternoon I shall be taking the head off and getting it machined at a local workshop. Thanks to everyone who replied, and lets hope I don't require anymore help from here on in. Did I just tempt fate!!!!

Andy