Parking totally on the pavement - Mapmaker
Prompted by the other thread...

I sometimes park totally on the pavement in front of my house when loading the car - otherwise I have to park 100 yards away.

There is a dropped ramp - for wheelchairs and pushchairs no doubt - which means I do not have to drive over non-dropped kerbs. The pavement is wide enough for people to get past with wheelchairs.

Somebody told me that parking on the pavement is 3 points. Is it?
Parking totally on the pavement - Pugugly
No non-endorsable fixed penalty. Police have to prove the point that someone's progress was inhibited. I'm with the radical wing of the paraplegic brigade on this though.
Parking totally on the pavement - ifithelps
A traffic warden, sorry, I mean a civil enforcement officer, told me recently their rule of thumb is that no obstruction is caused if there is space for a push chair to pass.
Parking totally on the pavement - Harleyman
If you are in the act of loading the vehicle, I very much doubt if you are actually committing an offence, and even if you are there would I am sure be a considerable amount of mitigation. From a safety point of view it is surely better to cut down to a minimum the amount of time spent walking on a road whilst carrying luggage.

There is a difference in legal interpretation between parking and loading for this very reason.

Edited by Harleyman on 02/06/2009 at 21:41

Parking totally on the pavement - 1400ted
There's another problem with this, however. Just round the corner from home is a road, residential only, with wider pavements. Folks park all four wheels and there is room for another car to pass between them and the garden walls, so no probs for prams,etc.
A couple of roads come out on this road. Coming up to the junction on the minor road, you cannot see if anything is coming from the left because you cannot now see beyond the parked car without coming out into the main road up to your windscreen. sometimes a bit hairy due to the speed of approaching cars.

Ted