Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - mazdaboy
I've just got a Discovery 3 that was treated three years ago with Supaguard inside and out. Now, whilst it's clearly done a very good job, can I apply Autoglym super resin polish/extra gloss protection on top of the treatment?

I don't have to worry about invalidating the Supaguard warranty as it's expired. Thanks!

made model non-specific - may be of interest to owners of other brands

Edited by Pugugly on 22/05/2009 at 17:57

Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - Xtype
Yes will do no harm, i did it to my car. Though I first used a clay bar, then applied Autoglym + extra gloss. Took about 6 hours but looks better than new.
Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - Bill Payer
If the car has had normal washing and no other treatment then I'd be amazed if there's any trace of Supaguard left.
Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - oldtoffee
>>Yes will do no harm, i did it to my car. Though I first used a clay bar, then applied Autoglym + extra gloss. Took about 6 hours but looks better than new.

Perfect advice. You'll have 3 years of contaminants bonded to the paint but the Supaguard protection or what's left of it "should" make them relatively easy to remove before you polish and then SRP (two layers would be best.)
Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - Xtype
I had superguard / diamond brite on (freebie) only lasted 3 months before the beading stopped when i washed it. Surprised its lasted 3 years.
Anyway dont get me started on Diamond Brite!

You will get a great result with claybar / Autoglym. I did mine in the cold months of January and with a wash every week the car still looks like new after 100k miles and 4 years.

Many thanks for the responses, and suitably reassured.

Now, if I can find a ladder long enough to reach the roof I might give it a go this weekend!
Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - captain chaos
I open the doors and stand on the kick plate when I'm washing the Hummer :-)
Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - Lygonos
I open the doors and stand on the kick plate when I'm getting a Hummer :-) <<

Ooops.
Thanks all. What's a clay bar? Never heard of this before!
Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - Lygonos
"Clay" bars are made by a few car product companies - basically they are like a hand-sized lump of plasticine that are used to rub over the bodywork with a lubricant (either water or a proprietary spray).

It sounds dubious, but they actually lift tiny imperfections/microscopic debris from the surface of the paint leaving it impressively smooth, ready for a top-coat of wax or sealant.

When used with patience on sound paintwork it will leave a finish BETTER than that of a brand new car.

It does take 2-3 hours or more to do a good job however...
Supaguard - safe to use with other polishes? - oldtoffee
>>
It sounds dubious, but they actually lift tiny imperfections/microscopic debris from the surface of the paint leaving it impressively smooth, ready for a top-coat of wax or sealant.

Before the wax or sealant, I'd polish the paint to get the best shine and remove any marks or blemishes the clay bar didn't get rid of then wax or seal.