1997 1.4 brake lines - zookeeper
hi room , i was advised to wire brush and grease the brake line at the MOT last week, what would be the correct or appropriate grease for the job ? some one down the pub suggested painting them with black hammerite , cheers zoo

{thank goodness for the forum search feature. Found out that your car is 97 and not 19!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/05/2009 at 22:12

19 1.4 brake lines - Dynamic Dave
If it were me, I'd give them a liberal coating of waxoyl.
19 1.4 brake lines - piston power
It really depends on how old they are?

If there pitted they will need replacing soon grease only covers up the rust but they still fail, if there ok fine grease with any type the dust sticks to it anyway.
19 1.4 brake lines - bell boy
i grease pipes and ends if i think they might pose a problem next year for the new keeper
if my motman thinks its a borderline before an advise he will grease it for me so its a win win

any old grease will do as its just to stop oxygen getting on them

if in any doubt irrespective of an advisory then get them changed as 007 said you only live once
19 1.4 brake lines - oilrag
Castrol CL waterproof grease - that`s my choice. It`s still on the brake lines from an application 4 years ago. (Halfords)

It`s a grease designed to specifically repel water - unlike HMP grease

Anything is better than nothing though - as they say ;-0. The test is where the wheel is, all that water cascading down.. It`s very satisfying after that to brush the whole of the subframes and underbody seams too. (3 tubs)
The four year report on that is that its still there in a thick coat and an oil film has crept out around 6 inches from the application on the subframe seams - so its reasonable to assume its creeping inside too.

Can post you some pics on this if you are really keen - but you would have to wait a while as i`m fighting a virus currently and grease and oil even as a concept - are just phantoms leaping from neurone to neurone and taunting me in my fever at having clean hands.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 21/05/2009 at 22:08