Street lights missing on A40 London end. - henry k
All the lamp posts on the above ground section of the A40 from White City past Paddington have been chopped of at about 5/6 feet above their bases.
This must have happened at least 2/3 years ago.
I guess it was elf n safety but can anyone supply details and when will this section again be lit?
Street lights missing on A40 London end. - Ben 10
I know the section you mean . But why do you think it was done for H&S reasons. The elevated section of the M4 London end still has lighting. What makes the A40 any different? In fact it makes it worse without the lighting. I too wondered why they were chopped. I thought maybe ahead of being replaced.But its been far too long.

Edited by spood on 11/05/2009 at 23:21

>>But why do you think it was done for H&S reasons
>>
Thats the reason for everything these days :-)
Seriously though, I have read items on some posts being suspect due to rusting and that is the only reason I can think off.
Street lights missing on A40 London end. - boxsterboy
They were indeed cut of for 'elf n safety reasons. They are in need of extensive repair/replacement which would entail coning off 1 lane for the workers' safety, with consequential traffic congestion. So they just cut them off and left the road unlit (never mind the 'elf n safety of drivers driving on unlit roads, eh ...?)

I actually think unlit roads are no bad thing as they (hopefully) encourage people to drive a little more slowly (within their range of vision - which is how one should always drive).
Response from TFL:

"As background, I can advise that in January 2007, a lighting column on the A40 Westway elevated section failed during high winds due to internal corrosion. Structural testing identified numerous columns in a similar state and due to safety concerns these columns were immediately removed.

Detailed designs for the replacement of the columns along this section of road were produced and we planned to replace the lighting columns. However, we received a number of requests from local residents who did not want the lighting replaced and advised they would prefer for us to leave the road unlit."
Thanks for your detailed reply.

I wonder if we can expect a raft of requests to remove street lighting.
At the rate they are building office blocks alongside this section the locals will loose sight of the road.:-)
It's amazing, they made their decision purely to appease those that overlook the Westway. And of course, to save money into the bargain.Who consulted the users of that road. I bet the M4 at Chiswick will be next then.