TaTa NANO India's Model T ? - jetta
After the initial excitement I have not had any more news of this, "Peoples Car" that is supposed to sell for about $2,050 US. Obviously it would not meet safety and emission standards in very many countries but it did start me thinking of the concept. Could Ford create a modern version of the Model T that would sell for $ 4,000 -$4,500 US, Roughly 2,800 to 3,100 Euros ??? More important, would there be a market for such a machine in the US or Europe? My concept would be a small 4 seat machine, 2 door hatchback with a 1000cc TD motor. Construction possibly from recycled aluminum and plastic, with steel only where needed for strength and wear resistance. Very light weight with plastic body panels/steel door panels. It should get around 65 miles per gallon and have the option of 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual trans. I think Ford could do this but if too successful it would reduce their big car sales. Lots of room for comment here,,, go for it !!!
TaTa NANO India's Model T ? - RichieW
I don't think we are that poor in this country to warrant one yet but give Gordon Brown a couple more years......
TaTa NANO India's Model T ? - jetta
I am not thinking as much of a poor mans car as I am of economical and reliable transportation. Something that will not drain your bank account to own and operate. A car that does not have people complaining about poor starting, cams breaking, heaters not working, electrical gremlins, gearbox noise, rusting body panels, huge repair costs, etc. This has been done before with machines like the VW Beetle and others like Morris.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/05/2009 at 16:34

TaTa NANO India's Model T ? - Farmer Boy
You don't have to be poor to want a cheap car!

Many poor people buy an expensive car they cannot really afford - perhaps that is what keeps then poor.

Why can India and the far east and possibly America pollute the air with cheap motoring and not us?
I don't think we are that poor in this country to warrant one yet but