Sat Nav Questions and Answers - Vol 9 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 10 *****

In this thread you may ask any Sat Nav based question.

No Questions About PCs (Unless its about the Sat Nav Interface). Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No Speeding, speed cameras (Unless its linked to SatNav features)
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

This will hopefully give an easily searchable One Stop Shop for Sat Nav information.

This is Volume 9. It will not be deleted when it reaches a 100 posts, just locked and a new Volume started.

Previous Volumes are :- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/09/2009 at 02:15

Binatone - Speed Camera Update Help - barney100
Had my Tom Tom sat nav nicked and replaced it with a Binatone. I like the speed camera alert feature but can't figure out if I need to update this (suspect I have) so how do I do it?

Edited by rtj70 on 27/04/2009 at 14:30

Binatone - Speed Camera Update Help - Altea Ego
replaced it with a Binatone.

Bad move.

Edited by rtj70 on 27/04/2009 at 14:38

Binatone - Speed Camera Update Help - redviper
Had my Tom Tom sat nav nicked and replaced it with a Binatone. I like
the speed camera alert feature but can't figure out if I need to update this
(suspect I have) so how do I do it?

I guess this would be done on the Manufactures Website, for a fee of course.

Edited by rtj70 on 27/04/2009 at 15:03

Binatone - Speed Camera Update Help - rtj70
If the Binatone supports warnings when near a customised point of interest, it may be possible to use the database from pocketgpsworld.com. It is not free though but a fair price for 12 months. Report a new camera first and then you get life membership and therefore updates for free.

Edited by rtj70 on 27/04/2009 at 15:03

Alpine Blackbird - nick
I'm looking at an Alpine Blackbird PMD-B200P satnav coupled with an IVA-W505R head unit. Has anyone any experience of these? Reviews seem thin on the ground.
Thanks in advance.
Cheap(-ish) sat nav recommendations - maz64
SWMBO has decided it's time to get a sat nav, but don't want to spend too much on one (it's not going to get used much). I was looking at the Navigon 1200 at Halfords for £70, which seems to have positive reviews ('better than TomTom' according to some), but then saw that you have to pay 70 euros to download up to date maps for 24 months.

Are there any decent alternatives at this price that do free map downloads? Or should we go for the TomTom ONE v4 for £110 (Amazon) with free downloads? (Or is that only one free download after purchase - not sure having read description.) Garmin Nuvi 200W £70?

Any advice appreciated.

F
Cheap(-ish) sat nav recommendations - redviper
I got the Tomtom one V2 ( i think) a couple of months ago, and I am more than pleased with it, i havent "modded" it apart from changing the start up logo, and its been trouble free.

Mine came with a "new map guarantee" wherbuy if a updated map comes out within 30 days after you buy it, then you get it free.

I dont know if people have trouble with their satnavs after they "modd"t hem but ive left mine alone and its been fine (touch wood)
I dont know if people have trouble with their satnavs after they "modd"t hem

Thanks. I know you can download TomTom software onto cheaper sat navs, which I assume is what you're talking about, but I'm not interested in doing that.
Yes you can i thing do that.

What i mean by "modding" is downloading voices, images, mp3's etc, and filling up the internal memory with them (which is actually quite limited, in my understanding)

Im not that bothered having Yoda to tell me to turn left into the darkside all the time i just like the normal voice

i like to keep mine as factory standard, all i did was make the a low file size image of my cars badge as a start up logo and then replaced it (as per instructions from Tom Tom) and kept it to that, its been trouble free so far.
What i mean by "modding" is downloading voices images mp3's etc and filling up the
internal memory with them (which is actually quite limited in my understanding)

Ok, sorry - understood. No, we don't need a lot of features, just the basics.
Cheap(-ish) sat nav recommendations - andyp
I still think that the TOMTOM One is a best buy for a basic sat nav. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years now and it has proved to be very useful.
I still think that the TOMTOM One is a best buy for a basic sat
nav. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years

Can you update the maps, for free?
Can you update the maps for free?

Only within 30 days, if it comes with the guarantee after that you have to pay for them (around £70 IIRC)
Cheap(-ish) sat nav recommendations - Robbie
No sat-nav gives you free updates of maps after the initial period. However, I have recently paid Garmin £99.99 for free updates for the life of my Garvin Nuvi 760T.

Considering that it's about £60 for one update it's not a bad deal.
Sat Nav workings. - Usman
I just bought a toyota lucida and i dont know how to figure out it's sat-nav system which is built-in and is currently displayed in Japanese which I cannot read. Will you please explain to me how to change the language to English and how it can be used?

Edited by Pugugly on 30/05/2009 at 18:26

Sat Nav workings. - Armitage Shanks {p}
One of the first 'Menu' options is likely to be 'Change Language' Does the handbook not tell you how to access the menu and, if the car is new, didn't the dealer give you a demo? NO sarcasm intended BTW.

Edited by Pugugly on 30/05/2009 at 18:26

Sat Nav workings. - Usman
the car is second-hand and it did not come with any cd or demo. It just came as standard.

Edited by Pugugly on 30/05/2009 at 18:27

Sat Nav workings. - Armitage Shanks {p}
If you haven't got, or can't get a handbook for the car, this link might help
tinyurl.com/koybm6

Edited by Pugugly on 30/05/2009 at 18:27

Sat nav up the garden path - perro
I dare say this topic has been covered many times b4 but ...
I was 'walking the dog' at 6-30 this morning and a thundering great lorry came down the residential road - lost!
His sat nav had sent him down there - totally unnecessary, especially at that time of day in Truro, Cornwall ... I don't own or wish to own one of these infernal contraptions but surely the technology exists to warn truckers of narrow country lanes and possible difficulties with long large loads?
When I was driving small lorries (Bedford TK) back in the 70's the A to Z was 'state of the art' and 100% accurate!
Sat nav up the garden path - oldnotbold
Google proCab - they offer stanav upgrades showing height/width/weight restrictions, but perhaps not tight turns, narrow lanes info, is my guess.

Of course, technology is no substitute for common sense, Mk1 eyeball, or using the phone to call the drop/pickup to check on the best access.
Cheer's ONB, I'll check that out after I've cooked these pork & apricot sossies :)
Sat nav up the garden path - Cliff Pope
It's not just Satnav. A few weeks ago I planned a route into rural Yorkshire, and carefully looked up the roads using Google maps. One road recommended by the route planner seemed direct, and I even printed off the zoomed in satelite image so I would recognise it.
In the event the "road" turned out to be a pot-holed dirt track. If I had been in a bigger vehicle it would have been too late to turn back.
I'm not sure an A-Z would have been any better at identifying the quality of the road surface
>>I'm not sure an A-Z would have been any better at identifying the quality of the road surface <<

Very true Cliff - The problem this morning was that the sat naf had actually sent the driver down a narrow residential area where'as he would have been better orf keeping to the main drag.
Sat nav up the garden path - rtj70
A lot of the mapping data used on the sat nav devices does not contain restrictions such as width or height. So it therefore cannot take this into account. But more and more info is finding its way into the maps.

Part of the problem is the space needed for the extra data - storage is now cheap but if they can cram a map into 512Mb instead of 1Gb they will to save a bit of money.

The problem seen my perro this morning is not really the fault of sat nav. The device used would have been aimed at car users and not lorries. The lorry driver was responsible for checking the route was appropriate. So yet another example of the user being to blame in my opinion.
The lorry driver was responsible for checking the route was appropriate. <<

Ah! so there we have it - user error.
Living in Cornwall for the last 12 years, I've seen (and lived) in some very quiet area's orf the beaten track - until the sat nav came along that is.
I remember one Saturday afternoon, a quiet moorland village becoming akin to a Grand Prix when the A30 was bumper 2 bumper but - I'd have done the same years ago if sat nav was available then!
Sat nav up the garden path - AlastairW
My Tom Tom took me up the driveway to a rather posh golf club in Cheshire recently. I should have take the hint from the non standard speed humps, but I didn't get the message until I reached a closed automatic barrier at the car park gate.

The kids were most amused by the 10 point turn I then had to execute to get back to the main road!
Sat nav up the garden path - Martin Devon
The kids were most amused by the 10 point turn I then had to execute
to get back to the main road!

Even number?
Sat nav up the garden path - NARU
the A to Z was 'state of the art' and 100% accurate!

Not true! The A to Z contains a small number of deliberate errors, so they can track when people are plagiarising their maps. Strange but true.
Sat nav up the garden path - RickyBoy
How funny that you should mention that Marlot!

We (inc. one ex-George Phillips cartographer) came to the same conclusion with regard to an OS map of part of the Cotswolds we were tackling today. According to the map section there should have been some farm buildings at a particular junction on our off-the-beaten-track route (close to the main arterial Cotswold Way), but in fact they were almost 1/2 a mile further down the green lane. Our man suggested exactly the same reason ? deliberate errors to ensure that copyright is not abused?

However, our combined 90-years worth of navigational trekking & walking expertise saw us through in the end ? hah...
Sat nav up the garden path - Avant
Always set a satnav to 'quickest' rather than 'shortest' - this avoids most of the garden path type of problems.
Sat nav up the garden path - Rattle
The A-Z once took me down Sale Golf course once, well my mate as he was drivinng but I was navigation. I've mentioned this story before but the golders were not amused but kindly opened the gate so we could drive onto the course to turn round. Lots and lots of swearing from my mate for getting him stuck in a countrylane!

I blamed the A-Z but it was my fault for not reading it correctly.
Sat nav up the garden path - b308
Whats this A-Z everyones on about, I thought that they were just street maps of towns and cities? - I've always used map books based on Ordnance Survey maps and they usually either don't list unmade roads or show dotted edge lines and other such give-aways such as "gated" or "toll"! We stayed in the country in Belgium last year at the end of an unmade track and to give it its due the satnav correctly highlighted it!

BTW the deliberate error thing was covered in one of those documentaries on mapmaking which followed the makers of the London A-Z, seems there are a few roads that don't exist except in their imagination!

Edited by b308 on 12/06/2009 at 21:37

Sat nav up the garden path - pda
Perro
Don't always assume that lorry you see, with the satnav on the dashboard, shouldn't be there.

One of our regular deliveries is to Birks Mill at Sedbergh.

We have to stop at the top of Birks Lane and ring the firm to see if we are ok to go down the lane as there is no way an artic can reverse in either direction.
Last week I went there and had noticed a group of ramblers in one of the fields when I went down at about 5MPH.
Whe I'd tipped and was slowly picking my way betwen the two houses on the bend, letting my trailer wheels slide down the bank, as it is impossible to go round the bend properly, the same group of walkers were in a field close to me but I needed total concentration.

One of them shouted at me in a very superior voice 'You've taken a wrong turning' while her companions were all laughing at the site of this huge lorry 'stuck' in this tiny twisty lane.

I flipped!!
I switched off the engine and, as it's impossible to open a door, I sat and told them to walk to the mill at the end of the lane and see the firm that has premises down there.
I also explained that I had probably just delivered the baked beans they would have for breakfast the following morning in their hotel.

Can you imagine the stories that would have been told if I had just carried on?........Woman Driver, Satnav, stupid etc.

Pat

Edited by pda on 12/06/2009 at 21:51

Don't always assume that lorry you see, with the satnav on the dashboard, shouldn't be there. <<

Pat, this is strictly between me and you - ok ... I've not driven a lorry for about years and I told this mornings driver to ignor his sat naf and to get back on to the main drag ..
it wasn't until I got back indoors that I realised the road I sent him down - had an infernal width restriction !!!!! :(
We love people like you perro :)

Hope had has a 'narrow gear' like I have!

Pat
We love people like you perro <<

I know Pat - what a wally! I did feel awful about it - praps he followed his sat naf after all in the end :)
Sat nav up the garden path - Hamsafar
Sat Nav doesn't 'send' you anywhere. It offers route guidance. Obviously you can ignore the guidance and it will plot an alternative route. The problem here is zombified thickos.
Sat nav up the garden path - jc2
A lot of people programme their device for "shortest" route not "quickest" route!! and then wonder why they get taken down country lanes.
Sat nav up the garden path - b308
I think its the default setting on them - I had it on mine last year and had an interesting trip right through the centre of Ghent... After finded out why I changed it very quickly after to a combination of quickest/shortest, slightly favouring quickest and have found thats a good compromise! The manual for it was rather basic and spent more time telling me how to take a photo using it than the differences between quickest/shortest... no wonder people have problems with them...

Edited by b308 on 13/06/2009 at 09:39

Sat nav up the garden path - Pizza man
my tom tom is set to quickest unless you change it yourself.
As I've said before - I don't own a sat nav, but what I would like to know is ...
is it just another gadget?
I can understand a pro driver finding a use for one but - if I was gonna go from here (Truro) to say Fishyguard in Wales, I'd get me map out or have a butchers at Google maps - why would I need a sat nav to distract my attention whilst driving?
Sat nav up the garden path - rtj70
Because it shows and tells you verbally when to take exits etc. in advance. So you don't need to glance at a map if it's an unfamiliar route. If you go wrong it recalculates the route.

I have mine check traffic and plan around delays too.
Because it shows and tells you verbally when to take exits etc. <<

Ah! I didn't know that rtj - perhaps I'd better get back to my trailing Petunias :)
Lorry drivers tend to use them for the estimated time of arrival it gives you which means you know if you can reach a delivery on time, or will need a legal tacho break before you get there.
I usually go out with at least 8 timed deliveries every day and I find this very handy.
We also use them to warn us of speed cameras on unfamiliar roads.
Another use I have found very handy is in dense fog, and even on local roads it is easy to get disorientated, it will tell you just how far that roundabout or sharp bend is away.
Last but not least, we don't know every street in every town :)
So it guides us into the last mile or so.

One problem I have with my Tom Tom is that I have it set to limited speed at 50MPH, which gives me a little leeway on arrival time, having a maximum speed of 54MPH and needing to 'water the wheelnuts' now and again.

But set like this, Tom refuses to route me on motorways and does try to take me across country, so we have many a good argument and he gets called a few names other than Tom!

He's a typical man and always thinks he knows best:)

Pat
Sat nav up the garden path - gordonbennet
Lorry drivers tend to use them

No they don't, they think they're the spawn of the devil and should be hurled as far as possible...and i'm a typical man and swmbo knows i'm never right..;)

Selection of good maps, mk1 eyeball, common sense, knowledge and old school nous...exactly what you used for years before you bought that heathern monstrosity.

Ah yes GB, but that's because all your deliveries are in towns and on to a concrete forecourt.
if you had to start living dangerously again and doing the job properly you'd soon be rushing off to Halfords!:)

He does lead a sheltered life, you know!

Pat
Sat nav up the garden path - Alby Back
I like my TomTom satnav too Pat. But don't be too hard on GB. I think he's quite old !

( ducks for cover )......

;-)
Sat nav up the garden path - gordonbennet
all your deliveries are in towns and >>
He does lead a sheltered life you know!

Tongue very firmly in cheek there Pat, good tease though..;)

Edit...quite old.....aaarrrrggghhh....

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/06/2009 at 22:09

Well, here we go again - I've now learnt a lot about Tom, do we need to go to skool anymore I wonder?
When I was 'on the road', mainly driving Bedford TK's, Leyland Terriers and some awful dog of a Commer, I used to have multi-drops to the print & paper trade around London and the home counties, so I could do my deliveries with one eye tied behind my back but - when I got a new job I.e. a whole new set of places to find *then* Tom would have been absolutely indispensible to find places I'd never bin to before!
I like wot Pat says about being aware of sharp bends when vis is poor etc.
No garden path left after this mistake... - oldnotbold
tinyurl.com/n47n36

"Wrong house demolished in GPS blunder...."

Perhaps the worst satnav error so far?
No garden path left after this mistake... - Cliff Pope

What about "wrong country demolished - no wmd's after all" ?

Edited by Cliff Pope on 17/06/2009 at 11:10

No garden path left after this mistake... - Alanovich
Well, the US government managed to demolish the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade by mistake, of course. Outdated maps, you see. Yes. Perhaps GPS would have helped. I'm sure. Oh yes.
Cheap Sat Nav " My Guide 3218 " only £60 - KenC
I have seen a UK/European 4.3" screen sat nav on e-buyer for 60 pounds
so cheap.
Has anyone any experience of these units or know of their reliability ?
I thank you all.
Cheap Sat Nav " My Guide 3218 " only £60 - Armitage Shanks {p}
tinyurl.com/myeecj

Cheap Sat Nav " My Guide 3218 " only £60 - Bilboman
Quick query. About to lose my SatNav virginity (I've been holding out for so-o-o-o long now, and am really hoping that I strike it lucky with the first one. Everyone else I know seems to have been there and got it. If you follow my drift..)
I have already decided on a TomTom, but can't decide between "XL" and "One Version 4".
All guidance welcome!!
Sat Nav on Dashboard? - tbbuk
I have a Renault Laguna 2006 model where the sat Nav sits at the base of the windscreen. This seems perfect for me as I can look at the screen with only minimal eye movement from the raod. I have been looking to change and have been out in a Honda CRV, Saab 9-3, Subaru Legacy and a few others but all have their Sat Nav screen in the centre of the dashboard where the radio normally sits. I find this quite inconvenient. Can anyone suggest a model of car where the Sat Nav screen is in a similar place to the Laguna?
Sat Nav on Dashboard? - Devolution
I think the Mazda 6 has one at the top of the dash, and Volvos have one hidden in the centre which pops up out of the dash.
Sat Nav on Dashboard? - David Horn
Some cars (Audi, for example) also display sat nav instructions and a small moving map on the LCD display in the instrument cluster. Might be worth adding these to your list?
Sat Nav on Dashboard? - rtj70
On my Mazda 6 which does not have built in sat nav, a bit of velcro on the sat nav suction cup and the corresponding other half of velcro on the inside of the map pocket on the dash means I can avoid tell tale marks on the windscreen. Works for me and it is where I'd want it too.
Sat Nav on Dashboard? - Bill Payer
Some Volvos have screens that rise out of the top of the dash.
TOM TOM and attachment - wotspur
I have a TOMTOM can anyone suggest an easy way to put the attachment onto the back, to enable me to attach to the windscreen or my new navmat, I've been trying for ages and it jsut won't go -is it me or is it just NOT possible AAAagh
GPS receiver battery goes pop in the sun. - Clanger
My GPS setup is Tomtom running on a PDA with a separate receiver in one of the rear quarter windows. Just noticed that it had fallen off the shelf this afternoon because the battery had expanded. The battery is now lifeless. Bit annoying as the thing is supposed to live in a window where it can see the sky. Just another thing for the technically-minded motorist to check; has your battery lost its cool ?
Sat Nav with Speed camera info - in France - Armitage Shanks {p}
ISTR that it is illegal to have a satnav in France which has the locations of speed cameras displayed, as Points of Interest, on the map. If that is so, is it legal to have the sound warning activated with the camera not displayed on the map? I am asking as I am going to La Belle France later in the month. I don't tend to speed but I don't want my Satnav confiscated!
Found the answer on a French website! Posted for the benefit of others. Laser/radar detectors are illegal, GPS based locators are permitted.
www.controleradar.org, look in the top left corner for the Union Jack to get the site in English - has all fixed camera locations in the whole of France plus all local rules and regs re triangle, Hiviz jackets etc

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 05/07/2009 at 10:32

Sat Nav with Speed camera info - in France - NVH
Just spent a week in France using a 12 month old Medion satnav (not mine).
The POI camera positions were not 100% accurate, but were always clearly marked as usual on the autoroute. You'd have to be blind to miss the big white signs and stupid to ignore them. Experience shows the camera is normally 100-500m beyond the sign.

Local supermarket was selling GPS with fixed speed camera info marked "100% legal".

More important: the school holidays started on Thursday.
This was marked by mobile camera checks supported by pairs of motorcycle cops, who are settling in nicely for the summer.
They often move to the middle of nice shady roundabouts and lay-bys once the initial holiday rush has died down.

Sat Nav with Speed camera info - in France - maximus
Thanks for the website that you gave Armitage. I've been going to France for many years, but I've added it to my favourites. Essential reading for anyone going to France.

p.s. I've noticed over the past 10 years or so how much more the French are sticking to speed limits-especially going through villages on route nationale (N) roads. there was a time when they did'nt lift off, not now.
Sat Nav with Speed camera info - in France - Altea Ego
Why are you bothered? Has any english driver yet been nicked by aphoto taken by French speed cameras? I have set off a few in my time.
Just found this for those touring France. www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ Put in an a route and it gives you locations of all fuel stations on it and the prices; you have to pick the fuel you want and that is it. Brilliant
Sat Nav with Speed camera info - in France - NVH
Excellent advice AS.
I just checked the rural areas I visited last week.
It correctly identifies the Super U and Leclerc supermarkets which have the only filling stations for many miles !
Last Saturday 98 unleaded cost ?1,13 at Super U and up to ?1,44 on the autoroute.
Driving in the wet ? - NVH
Interesting.
Whenever I arrive in Portsmouth, the satnav shows my current location as about 30 metres offshore...
And the POI data for Norfolkline Dunkirk wanted to take me 20 metres past the safety barrier and into the harbour...
Driving in the wet ? - the swiss tony
Interesting.
Whenever I arrive in Portsmouth the satnav shows my current location as about 30 metres
offshore...
And the POI data for Norfolkline Dunkirk wanted to take me 20 metres past the
safety barrier and into the harbour...

Its not a Merc inbuilt unit is it?
Driving in the wet ? - NVH
Nope. We have a vintage medion and a newish medion
(cheap way of upgrading maps!)

I reckon the satellites misread or delay coordinates intentionally to protect key sites from alien invasion.
Driving in the wet ? - the swiss tony
PK... just wondered, coz every time Ive used a MB Command I have already passed the turning when told to turn...DOH!

my PDA with tomtom though....about spot on 99% of the time!
Driving in the wet ? - Altea Ego
I reckon the satellites misread or delay coordinates intentionally to protect key sites from alien
invasion.

Satelites dont misread. My Tom tom is perfect in Portsmouth even in the naval dockyard, so its not military technology causing it.

If you want accuracy dont buy medions.
Driving in the wet ? - David Horn
IIRC, unaugmented GPS accuracy can be up to 30m out, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Driving in the wet ? - Altea Ego
30 meters?

never had an error that big.

Edited by Altea Ego on 05/07/2009 at 14:30

Worst case, I believe. Will need to dig out the textbooks to make sure. But a little voice at the back of my head is saying 30ft, not 30m, which is a bit more plausible and correlates your opinion, AE. Thanks to the way GPS positions are calculated, it's possible to get a pretty accurate position fix even with a rubbish clock.

Sorry to raise this to the surface again, but I found the answer last night:

The system is required* to be accurate to a spherical error of 30m (50% probability), which translates to a horizontal error of 100m and a vertical error of 156m (both 95% probability). However, this is the accuracy without any enhancement, and worst case at that. Any kind of augmentation will greatly improve the accuracy.

In reality, accuracy will be generally be considerably better than this anyway.

* By ICAO - so this isn't a definitive answer, unfortunately.
Navman S series free map update - 2009 - Mazda-Man
I bought a Navman S80 last year and registered for the free 2009 map upgrade which was due in June of this year. So far I've heard nothing and can't find anything on the web about what's going on. Can anyone shed any light on what the situation is? The Navman site is rubbish! Cheers.
Navman S series free map update - 2009 - rtj70
Maybe the sale of Navman to Mitac has had an impact?

Moving this to the sat nav thread in a moment.
Navman S series free map update - 2009 - Mazda-Man
Didn't know that, very likely the reason I'd have thought. TVM
Navman S series free map update - 2009 - rtj70
But you had an agreement with Navman and the Navman name still exists - so I'd chase it up.
Navigation by OS Map references - Talking Hoarse
I am in market for a new sat nav. Can anyone recommend a unit that can navigate by Ordinance Survey map /grid references - ie as well as by place names, street names or post codes etc?
I gather that certain Garmin units (Nuvi 300, 500 or 600 series) do so but have been unable to find those units in shops to try out, ie I would risk buying untested by mail order.
Also after European maps as well as UK and wide screen if poss.
Navigation by OS Map references - Altea Ego
navigate by Ordinance Survey map /grid references

Why do you want that? reason I say this is that its mostly useless for sat navs designed for cars, becuase they use a map feature call "snap to" that automatically places you on a road if you are close to it. Dont be tempted to use a car sat nav for hiking or x country walking.
Navigation by OS Map references - Dipstick
OS coordinates are one of those things that on occasion I would like to have on my car satnav. We often go and visit things like nature reserves, and they are often listed on websites that only show the os ref, not a postcode.

Obviously you work around it simply enough with map browsing on the unit or whatever, but it would be easier if you didn't have to.

Navigation by OS Map references - daveyjp
My Garmin shows coordinates so you can move the cursor to the coordinates you require and set as a destination.

No facility to enter them directly, but this system is about 7 years old and may have been updated.
Now theres the rub. Dont ever dump the use of the map. Car Sat navs dont tell you topography, or give you the slightest idea of your intended area. When out exploring or on motoring holiday, I always purchase an OS map if I dont have one of the area.

Navigation by OS Map references - colinh
"...Car Sat navs dont tell you topography..."

As opposed to a sat-nav used in a car which is loaded with topo. maps and/or OS 1:25k maps - for example, Garmin Oregon or colorado
Navigation by OS Map references - rtj70
The RoadAngel Adventurer 7000 also has OS maps as well as maps for route planning/following. But these are two separate sets of applications and maps.

I think the OP is looking to route using a normal sat nav system to an OS grid reference. Driving around with OS maps will not be much use as it would provide no guidance instructions.

Remember the OS maps will be bitmaps and allow you to go anywhere on them. The usual sat nav units are vector map based with a snap to function - they assume you must be on a road nearby.
Navigation by OS Map references - rtj70
An answer would be to enter the OS Grid Reference that will interest you and convert them to POIs on your map. How you go about this depends on what sat nav unit is being used.
I think the OP is looking to route using a normal sat nav system to
an OS grid reference. Driving around with OS maps will not be much use as
it would provide no guidance instructions.

which is why I use an OS (or other paper map) to pinpoint where i want to go to, then find that place on my sat nav map and plant a favourite.

I also never rely on a postcode when using sat nav. I know of quite few post codes that are post office sorting offices........which tend to be miles away from where you want to go.

Tom Tom One becoming unreliable - Pete Metcalfe
I'm having intermittent problems with my Sat Nav (Tom-tom One) in my Renault Clio 03 -bought some 2 years ago but only used occasionally; have I got a faulty unit or is it an external problem? It's regularly updated via the software.

For Example - a recent journey from Stockton to Leamington and its environs (around 200 miles )- the unit worked perfectly travelling there but, returning the next day couldn't find a 'valid signal' for over an hour, switched on again after 70 miles or so, then 'lost' its signal again after perhaps 60 miles, for the remainder of the journey.

It had been returned under warranty soon after purchase and had new battery and something technical replaced.

It's not a problem of overhanging trees, buildings etc. it can happen anywhere.

Thanks
Pete Metcalfe.

Edited by rtj70 on 18/07/2009 at 19:33

Tom Tom One becoming unreliable - Hamsafar
It's because these Clios have metalised windscreens which make the car act a bit like a faraday cage and weaken the signal substantially.
You need to use an external aerial plugged into TOMTOM stuck on the area of windscreen where there is no coating (this area is meant for electronic toll passes in France etc...) or reposition the whole unit here may work. This part of the screen is the size of a postcard at the bottom IIRC. You can see it more easily while wearing polarised sunglasses.

Edited by rtj70 on 18/07/2009 at 19:34

Tom Tom One becoming unreliable - Pete Metcalfe
NoI don't think it's the windscreen either 'cos if I remove the unit and walk around the Service area it still doesn't pick up a signal.I'm tending to believe it must be a faulty unit.
thanks, Pete m.

SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/07/2009 at 21:02

Tom Tom One becoming unreliable - sandy56
If you have a good satellite signal ( shows on the bottom of the TOMTOM) and then lose it I dont think its is the windscreen. Just try moving it to a new position may help.

Satellite performance can vary for all sorts of reasons but this sounds like either a faulty unit or windscreen affecting it.
My TOMTOMS work fine, on my second, but you can lose the signal but usually it comes back OK after a few minutes.
Try to get a good signal before you drive off. Try a hard reset- like rebooting a computer.

good luck

Edited by rtj70 on 18/07/2009 at 19:34

UK map sale - Focus1.8TDCi
I have the original Tomtom 1, the bulky version. It works fine and yesterday I updated the software and its got a few useful new features. My map version is 6.5 I think from early 2006. Tomtom are selling the UK map for £30 (reduced from £40). Would it be worthwhile now for me to upgrade the map, considering its 3 years old and the new map is on sale?