93 1.1 Thermostat and Temperature - ffolliott
Hi - puzzling problem. Had a Fiesta for a couple of years and even in the hot summer the temperature gauge read cool at about 1/4 up the scale. During the recent snow I partly blocked off the radiator to get more heat into the car and it ran nice and warm at about 3/4 up the scale. When the snow went I took the radiator blocker off to return to normal but the temperature gauge has ever since stayed up at about 3/4 up the scale when it warms up. The water level is ok, has not changed and not even needed to top it up, and there are no leaks and the fan works ok.

Just cannot work out what could have happened in those snowy 3 or 4 days to make the default temperature rise from 1/4 to 3/4 up the scale.

Many thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2009 at 12:26

93 1.1 Thermostat and Temperature - Peter.N.
I would suspect a faulty temperature sensor, or it could be that debris was trapped in the thermostat preventing it from closing fully, the forced increase intemperature opened it, releasing the obstruction so it is now closing properly allowing the temperature to reach normal. If the latter is the case, it will be accompanied by an increase in heater output.