Parking Fine Defaulters Cars to be Crushed - Armitage Shanks {p}
It was on BBC news this morning that, in Leicester, people who don't pay their parking fines may have their cars taken to a pound and crushed, after 90 days. The worst offender there owes £10,000 in unpaid fines. Why aren't normal methods be used to collect this money (Bailiffs, sequestration of earnings orders etc?). If his car is crushed the Council will get nothing and if crushing his car writes off the debt he has had months/years of parking for the cost of, say, a £1000 car. Am I missing something here or is it Leicester Council?
Parking Fine Defaulters Cars to be Crushed - Mr X
No, your not missing anything. It's quite common in London for some one to build up thousands of pounds in unpaid parking fines and congestion charge fines on a £300 banger which they are happy to see taken away for crushing.

Parking Fine Defaulters Cars to be Crushed - boxsterboy
Sme councils don't seem to realise that to some people a car is as disposable as a tea-bag. Crush it and they'll just get another one. Much better to pursue the debt - or will they bring a swinging ball to non-Council tax payers houses next?.
Parking Fine Defaulters Cars to be Crushed - Optimist
Don't agree.

If the cars are disposables better to take them off the road and crush them.

Another advantage is the infrequency with which the kind of person I suspect boxsterboy is talking about tax and insure their vehicles - so another reason to get them off the road.

And, to be practical, I suspect that pursuing and collecting the debt are two very different things. I doubt someone who thinks of a car as a teabag will even have it registered in his name.

Save the planet. Crush 'em. And as for the drivers.......................