1990 2.0i Clutch slip diagnosis? - FotheringtonThomas
I suspect my clutch may be about to give up. It sometimes makes a noise when releasing the clutch, more noticeably when there's lock on (bigger load from steering pump?).

Can I check for wear somehow without taking the thing to bits?

What's the best way of testing by loading the thing?

Booting it in second *perhaps* shows slight jerkiness in the rev. counter reading as it goes up the scale - but this could be a rev. counter issue.

Booting it in second and applying the footbrake perhaps resulted in the symptoms of slip, but I was rather distracted by the proximity of a large tree to take exclusive notice.

Any other, preferably reasonably safe, ideas?
1990 2.0i Clutch slip diagnosis? - Lud
Booting it in second

Higher gears are better FT, third or fourth. You boot it from the engine speed just below maximum torque. However if this results in clutch slip, the slip is not incipient but actual, meaning replacement is urgent.
1990 2.0i Clutch slip diagnosis? - FotheringtonThomas
That's the problem. It's MOT time soon, & it'll need possibly £80 spent that I know about. A clutch on these will be expensive, I guess. The thing's in good nick, although what *might* "go" is moot. If it'll need a clutch, it's not worth continuing.

So, there's a "groan" from something when getting going. Possibly incipient clutch slip? How to know?

I suspect I ought to scrap the thing immediately, but I sort of like it (not enough to pour lots and lots of £ into itr, though - I'm not "flush").
1990 2.0i Clutch slip diagnosis? - Woodspeed
Nice car, well built, robust, and very similar to a Prelude I have 1990, 135k. Try pulling away in third gear on your drive, with the handbrake on. It should stall if the clutch is fine, or will sit there and rev the engine going nowhere if not. The groan could be the engine rocking on mountings and the rubbers are dry (or salted over winter).