is my car registered? - duncansand
Hi,
Over a month ago I purchased a car from a main dealer that had had a private plate on it. The dealer thought they had removed it, but shortly before picking it up they phoned me to say there had been an error and the private plate was still on the car. I told them I wasn't interested in buying the car until they had sorted the admin out. A couple of weeks later they called to say all sorted, now with new plate and they taxed it. When I picked it up they didn't have the documents because they were at the DVLA. 6 weeks later I hear nothing, so phone the DVLA, who say the car has not had its plates changed - despite the fact that I'm driving around with the new plates and with a tax disc with the new reg number. Sounds like a mess up somewhere. I called the dealer, who knows nothing and says they did all the paperwork, hence why I have a tax disc. The DVLA asked what office the dealer dealt with, and I provided the details - they are investigating.

There is now scam here - this was a merc main dealer, so just cockup, not conspiracy. However, I'm now worried about if I should actually be driving the car. Has anyone any experience of these matters?
is my car registered? - oldnotbold
It seems odd that the car is taxed and insured on plates which appear not to be assigned to it by DVLA?

Edited by oldnotbold on 13/03/2009 at 19:54