Not so young new driver...recommendations - legacylad
A friend of mine in his mid twenties has recently qualified as a UK driver, and together we are trying to find a suitable car.
He has a fair amount of driving experience outside the UK, and will be driving approx 12k miles pa, most of it on a motorway commute, and working on projects away from home.
Budget is £2500, preferably less.
My advice is to only buy privately (too much mark up for traders at that price) and go for a 1.4/2.0 petrol...cheaper to repair than diesel? He wants a mid size car...I recommend a 1.6 5dr Focus, he fancies a 1.4 Civic, both low insurance groups, both with enough power to make daily motorway commuting stress free.
Any ideas please..
Not so young new driver...recommendations - commerdriver
when younger son was buying a car a month ago we reckoned you would get a newer, lower mileage Astra for your money when compared to a Focus. For most purposes IMHO it's as good a car and less likely to have been hammered. Might be worth a look

Edited by commerdriver on 03/03/2009 at 23:49

Not so young new driver...recommendations - Rattle
I've found that about the Astra too but insurance is more expensive. The 1.4 16v and the 1.6 8vs are the best for new drivers.
Not so young new driver...recommendations - Woodspeed
Focus is a good drive, and the earlier petrol ones tend to be reliable. The Honda is an adequate drive, and many are owned by fussy older people and kept longer. I have had a few Honda cars and the build quality is excellent. Some parts can be a little pricey, but general service items about the same as a Ford. If you buy privately generally the seller will be more "agreeable" at the Honda household. I think the interior wears better too.
Agree that at this price and therefore mileage, petrol is unlikely to hit you with big repair bills over diesel.
Good luck
Not so young new driver...recommendations - NickS
SEAT Leon 1.4 16v. I had one as a nubile 21yr old, insrance was cheap, car was infinitley nicer place to be than equivilent Astra or Focus, and its felt far nippier than the 75bhp would suggest, and even the 'S' trim i had was well specced with CD changer, etc.

Mine had done over 120k when i sold it and I had no problems mechanically at all.
Not so young new driver...recommendations - DP
I must admit, I've been looking at Astras as a potential replacement for the Scenic. Much better value used than a Focus or Golf - you tend to get the same year a grand cheaper, or a year newer for the same money.
I am astonished at how close the Focus runs the Golf for residuals. Most annoying as a used buyer!