Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - maz64
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7919110.stm

A Suffolk motorist contacted an enforcement agency to help cure his "irrational fear" of speed cameras.

Colin Gant, 41, of Lowestoft, who drives more than 500 miles a week in his job, was forced to take detours to avoid the detection devices.

He then approached Norfolk Safety Camera Partnership for help.

Inspector Marcus Rowe said: "We were more than happy to help by talking him through the process and introducing him to the people who operate it."

Mr Gant's phobia grew despite never having been caught speeding, said Mr Rowe.

"Although there's a lot of information on the internet about speed enforcement, it really helped him to have a personal touch to just explain a bit about the process."

Mr Rowe added: "It's recognised that if you drive past a fixed site camera the average person will probably check their speed to make sure they are doing the appropriate speed.

"Colin's reaction went beyond that and he felt anxiety and stress."
Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - Cliff Pope
He needs to see it as a computer game.

Signs appear reading "Optional Taxation Point Ahead".
You have to try and match the reading on a dial on your game console with the big numbers displayed at the side of the road.
If you succeed, you clock up points and are allowed to contribute to national taxation.
If you are too successful you unfortunately get disqualified for a while to allow other players a chance.
Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - Armitage Shanks {p}
Colin sounds a bit odd! He wasn't 'forced' to take detours - he chose to. Top marks to the partnership for trying to help him though. People that frightened of things migh consider not driving. Amazing that, with all that is going on in the World, this sort of junk is thought of as News!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 03/03/2009 at 08:46

Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - maz64
Amazing that with all that is going on in the
World this sort of junk is thought of as News!

Well to be fair this was in a 'regional' section - I would think it odd if all there was in there was major national stuff.
Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - Lud
A very high proportion of drivers suffer from intense, partially repressed anxiety not just about speed cameras but about all aspects of driving and the road. Perhaps as many as half of all drivers. The only unusual thing about this case is that the guy was apparently aware of his rabid funk and attributed it to speed cameras. Most drivers don't admit it because if they did they wouldn't be able to drive.

Watch the body language of the other cars when you are on the road. You will see what I mean.
Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - doctorchris
And thank the "Lud" for that anxiety. The minority of drivers who do not experience such anxiety are the fearless ones who cause or are involved in, often horrific, accidents.
Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - Lud
And thank the "Lud" for that anxiety.

Tee hee, but you misunderstand me dc. I am not talking about the awareness of the risks and dangers of the road which is built into everyone's - or almost everyone's - automatic pilot. I am talking about a sort of semi-superstitious incipient panic that makes it difficult for people to improve their driving and quite often causes unpredictable road behaviour.

People who lack that awareness - not-too-bright drunk teenagers spring to mind - are of course dangerous, although mercifully quite rare. People with the repressed panic can also be dangerous. And they aren't rare.
Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - woodster
Cliff - you need a uniform and a hand in the P.C.'s book of sarcasm for errant drivers. It really does exist you know...
Man 'cured' of speed cam phobia - Fullchat
I've seen jibbering wrecks stopped on the approach to the Humber Bridge. Its about a 60 odd mile detour.

" I too have a severe reaction to any speed detection device My right foot goes to the floor. Just cant help it. Me Lud " :-]