Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - Woody37
I was passing a well known Gatso in Whytreleafe Surrey tonight doing a steady 30 when a motorbike came speeding madly past in the other direction. With un-nerving precision the camera flashed as I was well and truly "in the zone".

Is there any chance that I will get a ticket and is this a known phenomena? How did the motorbike set off the camera going the wrong way?
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - Armitage Shanks {p}
How could you get a ticket from any camera anywhere if you were doing 30 in a 30 limit? Relax
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - MikeTorque
Many of these cameras can and have been adapted to face either direction and can be setup to be either ?rear facing" and/or "front facing" (taking photo of the driver as well as number plate).

In this example it's most likely the camera took a photo of the speeding biker.
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - Hamsafar
You could do, some people have received them for driving tractors at 15mph or even for being parked. They're not 100% reliable. The stripes on the road are there to corroborate the distance traveled between the two photos and this is what is used as evidence.
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - 1400ted
Surely, when they get the photo back from the chemist's after developing, there will be two vehicles on the picture...no proof of who set the camera off, therefore no hope of a prosecution.
Ted
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - GroovyMucker
How could you get a ticket from any camera anywhere if you were doing 30
in a 30 limit? Relax

Because they're out to get us.

Didn't you know?

;)
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - mirrorsignal
You should be pretty safe , aside from the initial triggering of the camera - usually by Radar or piezo-electric strips embedded in the road , a secondary reference check is taken in the form of two photographs taken in quick sucession . These pictures allow them to determine your speed by calculating how far your vehicle has travelled between the white painted lines in the camera zone area .
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - Woody37
Hi,

Thanks all.

I definitely wasn't exceeding the 30 limit so the measurements should prove that.

Made me jump though it really did.

Nogoingback
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - Ben10
I live in Surrey and there is a GATSO near me facing with the flow of traffic. I on many occasions doing over the limit in the opposite direction, trip the camera to flash when there are other vehicles coming the opposite way who are doing the 30. It even trips when there is no vehicle driving by. I am tripping it by my speed. But its facing to take the picture of the rear of speeders in the opposite direction. I've never received a ticket. There are no measuring lines on the other side of the road either. Next time you pass your camera, have a look on which side the lines are painted.
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - buzbee
Birds can trip the camera. Near me one is mounted between two trees alongside the road and birds fly between the trees. I have seen it flash many times with no traffic about and I am still a long way away. A small target close to a radar can reflect a signal as strong as a larger one further away.

The two signals from opposing traffic directions can be distinguished from each other by a process of phase measurement, depending on the microwave diodes (two) setup. And so there is no need to rely on the radar beam pointing accurately.

I published a very effective [patented] method of doing this many years ago but have since lost touch with 'modern' designs and I don't know how good they are now. Clearly they work most, if not all, of the time. Otherwise there would be lots of wrong flashes.
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - sierraman
'Next time you pass your camera, have a look on which side the lines are painted. '

Round here they paint them on both sides of the road to put people off speeding on the wrong side of the road and avoiding proof when the NIP arrives.It has the added effect of making the unobservant panic brake when they see the lines,usually those who are doing a steady 28 in the 40 limit,they don't notice the limit signs either.
Speed Camera (Gatso) Question - Ben 10
The particular camera I was referring to is fixed and does not swivel to change direction. The lines are only painted on one side of the road, the part the camera is set up for.