UK car factory closing down? - Sprice
I've read it is probably Ellesmere Port they're talking about.
UK car factory closing down? - Mr X
I thought Honda , Swindon but Ellesmere Port is a good bet. It's an old fashioned factory with a long history of drop of the hat walk outs.
UK car factory closing down? - ForumNeedsModerating
Ellesmere Port - second that. It's been struggling since at least 2006 with large job losses & threatened closure. Combine that with its GM parent troubles...
UK car factory closing down? - DP
"Bloke in the pub" last night said Swindon (Honda) but couldn't provide any evidence for it so I have to suppose it was just speculation. Like many Japanese firms (my employer included), Honda has quite a strong corporate social responsibility policy and have repeatedly stated their commitment to Swindon over the years. I would be surprised if they'd just pull out as that's not how the Japanese tend to do business, in my experience.

I would tend to agree with woodbines.
UK car factory closing down? - Falkirk Bairn
From the scores on the doors looks like Vauxhall Ellesmere.

Divide and conquer by GM Europe

SAAB go to Swedish Govt - no payout from taxpayer - administration
Opel go to German Govt................
Vauxhall go to UK Govt..................

Ellesmere was reputedly in the firing line for years as a possible closure.
UK car factory closing down? - Altea Ego
TBH I am suprised that ellesmere port has survived this long. Only government bail outs and financial assistance has kept it going for years.
UK car factory closing down? - scouseford
Mr X

Could you supply some supporting evidence for this statement?

Sorry, this should have appeared on the above post.
I give up!!!!
UK car factory closing down? - ForumNeedsModerating
At risk of incurring the wrath of moderation (the title does include 'credit crunch after all!) - I think there'll be many a shock coming to pension rights holders in the coming years - and not just propective holders but those who've been retired several years already.

At heart of course, a pension is simply a contract between a pensioner, a pension provider & the govt. (the govt. part being that it offers adavantageous tax breaks for pensions).

With so many 'contracts' of this nature already strained beyond breaking point - a bust pension provider after all is just like a bust bank - that I foresee legislation allowing pension providers, in extremis, to break or modify their current & historical annuity obligations - and not in a 'good' way either.

No-one is safe from this depression - not even those apparently safe beyond reach of unemployment.

UK car factory closing down? - Rattle
Lets not call it a depression yet, so far it is just a recession it is important for all our sanity that the two are not confused. When the heating is turned off and the food runs out then I will start to think it is a depression for now though it just means a couple less holidays and a few less pints for me at least.
UK car factory closing down? - quizman
When the heating is off and food runs out it is a disaster.
Our much loved and savior of the world Mr Broon says it is a depression now.
UK car factory closing down? - stunorthants26
Ive had a very quiet Februsary too Rattle, but only because I had a self-imposed 2 week break due to the wretched weather!

Thankfully it looking to be a good year so far. That sthe great thing about having a large number of 'employers' being self-employed.
UK car factory closing down? - Dynamic Dave
I give up!!!!

If you change the view to threaded, all will be revealed.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=72418&...t
UK car factory closing down? - Sofa Spud
Quote:..""When the heating is turned off and the food runs out then I will start to think it is a depression""

Around November / December 09.
UK car factory closing down? - Pica
I was out with some friends last night 4 of whom are running small companies. The uncanny similarity was that all of us are saying the same. End of March is as long as we dare leave it before being forced into making redundancies, ditching the offices and trying to salvage some of the business by working from home in the hope that we may be able to take back some of the redundant staff.

For my business December turnover was down 50%; January turnover was down 70%; February turnover is expected to be around the same as January.

UK car factory closing down? - jaffa
I dispair

I thought Honda , Swindon but Ellesmere Port is a good bet. It's an old fashioned factory with a long history of drop of the hat walk outs.

No it has not, How long have you worked in Ellesmere Port. Far more likely for plants in Europe to walk out at a drop of a hat. As all plants supply each other pressed steel it can get a bit tight.

Ellesmere Port - second that. It's been struggling since at least 2006 with large job losses & threatened closure. Combine that with its GM parent troubles..

"Large job Losses", as with any new model in the early stages take up tends to be high, so a third shift is introduced, as the models life draws to an end and sales decline so do jobs. Its the natural cycle of business.

"TBH I am suprised that ellesmere port has survived this long. Only government bail outs and financial assistance has kept it going for years".

Do you actually think this is exclusive to Ellesmere Port, All governments provide some financial aid to their car industries, state aid is rather small compared to the bigger picture. Far more important is reducing cost per car, and this is achieved in many ways, Logistics, suppliers, quality, line rate, pay and other incentive schemes. to name just a few.

So go on, and continue to talk down our car industry. Its great to be British