02 1.6 locking/ master key information - gebstar
I am looking for some advice on my 2002 focus zetec. During the winter months of freezing temps my car locks kind of froze in such a way that the handle lock stayed open, to get the door closed i must have forced it too hard and it has engaged the door key lock. Only problem is my two keys i have dont unlock it as they are not master keys. I am looking for some advice on whether i could take it to a ford dealer and if they would have a key that could unlock it without ordering me one for £65 or if there is any other way. Only other way ive heard is from a garage that they would have to break the door spring to get it open as they cannot get in to take the door off. Does it have to be a unique master key to open fords? I need help as im skint and could do with my passenger door working again!

02 1.6 locking/ master key information - mikej
Can you actually get into your car at the moment ?

If you can and you can't unlock the affected door manually from the inside, then I can't see how any key is going to work in that lock if the lock mechanism is broken ?

Can you explain what you mean by master key ?

I would consider the master key to be the original (non-remote) key with the blue tab and the only relevence of this key is that it contains the chip required to overcome the immobiliser, as should your other working key. These two original keys should also open the front two doors, unless you've had the door locks changed at some point ?

I think you might need to explain your problem a bit more clearly if possible.
02 1.6 locking/ master key information - gebstar
Ive only had the car since april. And the two keys that came with both work in the ignition and in the drivers door but they do not turn in the passengers door. When i open the drivers door there is a lock that you can lock using your finger when the door is open and the only way to unlock it is using the key. I am just presuming this is what is wrong with the passengers door as when i forced it shut it turned the lock as the door is now shut but if i pull it from outside it will open fractionally as if there is a lock working but i cannot get it unlocked. Any more info needed let me know i need the help.

02 1.6 locking/ master key information - L'escargot
Try a liberal squirt of WD40. It worked for me when the door locks of my last Focus went all quirky.

Edited by L'escargot on 13/02/2009 at 07:49