Main dealer servicing only after 2010! - injection doc
Currently, you have the right to service and repair your vehicle wherever you wish.
But, in 2010, that right could be removed. If you don?t want to see the competitive service and repair environment disappear, please register your support by signing our online petition.

www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

(Mods, this link is okay. We do support the right to repair campaign. HJ)

Edited by Honestjohn on 09/02/2009 at 10:58

Main dealer servicing only after 2010! - adverse camber
I would have a lot more sympathy with this campaign if they dropped the scaremongering and actually explained properly what the issue is.

I cannot see anywhere that the consumers right to have their car serviced/repaired where they want will be removed in 2010.

As I understand it:
There are EU wide rules that are intended to ensure open competition in the marketplace.
The 'Block Exemption' for cars allows the motor industry to by-pass these fair competition rules.
A number of safeguards were specified with the block exemption to prevent blatant abuse, these included that manufacturers must make information available to third parties.

As I see it the dropping of the block exemption would end the whole manufacturer tie in scenario.
I have not read the latest eu documents, but it is well known that the current rules are being bent. Could one of you in the r2rc explain why the block exemption should not be dropped and the whole marketplace exposed to competition properly?
I dont understand what the benefit to the consumer of keeping the block exemption is? The campaign seems to be after the availability of information. Why does this need to be tied to the block exemption?
Main dealer servicing only after 2010! - Number_Cruncher
>>I would have a lot more sympathy with this campaign if they dropped the scaremongering and actually explained properly what the issue is.

I agree fully.
Main dealer servicing only after 2010! - Hamsafar
I though it was the opposite of what Adverse Camber is saying?
Now I am confused.
I though the new rules were lobbied by the Motor Manufacturers in order to keep all of their technical information a secret and encrypt data communications with the vehicle such that independent garages cannot access the ECUs etc...?
Main dealer servicing only after 2010! - L'escargot
What's a "main dealer", and does this only apply to BMWs? "Main dealer" seems to be just a description used by the general public. Dealers themselves don't use this description. I get my car serviced at a family owned Ford franchised dealer. They only have 11 employees in total, including the Dealer Principal. Will I have to take my car somewhere else after 2010?