Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - FotheringtonThomas
I had to drop off some things for the Young Master, to a different place this a.m. Wonderful driving conditions, great fun, except for getting stuck behing a Ka grinding along al <10MPH for a little way. Continuing the journey, helped an incompetent (who, none the less had a spade in the boot, but had forgotten it was there!) out of a snowdrift. Nearly at work, remembered I'd forgotten the YM's wellies!! So, I had to go all the way home again and get them! Fantastic!

I love it - driving in the snow. Do you?
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - ijws15
Yes, love it.

Not had much chance to do so this week despite covering 1000 miles, too much salt about.

Great fun sliding the car around the empty car park when I got to work this morning.
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - v8man
I turned the traction control off as it prevented me from getting up a steep hill.

Love driving in snow as well!
I turned the traction control off as it prevented me from getting up a steep
hill.

My 19-year-old car doesn't have traction control, but it does have ABS. I wish I could turn *that* off!

Why is traction control bad?
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
As I explained in another 'Driving In Snow' thread, the traction control in my Passat worked superbly. No idea why people recommend turning it off in snow. Anyone care to explain and substantiate their assertions?
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - jc2
My SportKa with large low-profile Pirellis would spin it's wheels happily on the ice/snow but if you just trickle along with the engine just above idle,they work like paddle wheels-plenty of grip.(that's providing you have any tread on your tyres.)
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - oldtoffee
Just hating it! Legacy AWD plus Vredestein Wintrac Extreme winter tyres give far too much grip and traction. Where's the fun in not being able to guess when the car's about to give way underneath you at stupidly slow speeds and slip back down the hill? Guess I'll have to take the Passat TDi auto out for a spin and some excitement!

Edited by NeilS on 05/02/2009 at 14:34

Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - DP
Nothing within a mile of our house has been treated at all, but not having any problems in the Volvo or the Scenic.
To be honest I'm quite enjoying it. It's making a dull commute a bit more interesting.
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - Old Navy
"Love it", "Great Fun", "Quite enjoying it". Car body repair shops just love people like you. Should your "fun" cause an accident or injure somone will it still be fun?
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - Alanovich
Was thinking similar, thanks for putting my thoughts in words.

Wasn't a thread entitled "Fatal Accidents" recently modded to "Fatal Crashes", as there's no such thing as a road accident? Especially the case, I would think, if someone is deliberately testing the limits of their abilities and their car's control on a public road in dangerous conditions.
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - paulvm
It is all very good until something goes wrong. Virtually everyone is being very sensible here around Salisbury Plain, apart from the usual suspects.
One young son of a neighbour decided that maximum revs was the only way to get from the road onto their driveway. He did not make it, and this was only mounting a dropped kerb. It took him and 4 mates with spades to do it. No one else has had any problems.
The best example was the roaring last night as another thick fall of snow covered the main road in the village. It was two locals in their Imprezas power sliding up and down the 30mph road! It looked like a film clip from an Alpine Rally.
All very well until you realise that small children were also out playing, and one side of the road goes directly into the local river! The exuberance and immortality of youth clearly on display. Mr. Darwin would have been proud.
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - DP
Should your "fun" cause an accident or injure somone will it still be fun?

There's no reason it should. I was simply referring to having to think about driving in a different way to the normal 'through the motions' stuff that I do when I commute normally. Getting up the hill out of my town on Monday morning took some real thought and some car control skills, particularly throttle delicacy and feel of the controls that I haven't used in years.

There has been some deliberate handbrake turnery and so forth, but not on the public road, and certainly not with pedestrians or other vehicles around.

Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - Hamsafar
I love the snow, and will detour to the untreated roads. Work was closed today because I work in the failure-celebrating and defeat-embracing public sector so I missed the best snow.
I find the traction control on my Passat 3BG automatic useless all it does is limit the rpm to 1200ish and brake the spinning wheels in a jerky fashion.

I wish it had a snowflake button instead. The car has been the worst I have ever driven in snow. Maybe it's the tyres they are 2/3rds worn and have more of a water-expelling tread than an all-seasons one. I even have trouble setting off on the flat.
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - madf
Snow is no fun. too many people drive as if the roads are normal.

And getting out of our drive requires brushing snow and salting it.

But I take pleasure in watching Mercedes and BMW drivers realise they are stuck and can't move.

4,000 rpm is not the way to move on hardpacked snow..

Happens every time.

great entertainment and it's free..

What does a "snowflake button" do, or am I being dense?
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - Phil I
I have a snowflake button on my 98 Nissan QX (acquired from QXman 1/05/07)
Pressing this shuts out 1st gear on the autobox. Enables a really smooth takeoff on the slippy stuff. QX has reasonably wide tyres 205/65/15 .

Way back in the seventies I recall using a Fiat 124 to run around in some dire weather in the West Midlands and had great fun going up the Portway on the Rowley Hills using full width of the road and a Z track. Not much else moving at all

Phil I - even older now - not necessarily wiser.
"Love it" "Great Fun" "Quite enjoying it". (snip) Should your "fun" cause an
accident or injure somone will it still be fun?

Driving in perfect conditions: I love it, it's great fun, and I really enjoy it. Should my driving in perfect weather "cause an accident or injure someone", of course it would not be fun. Why the wowser like stance?
Around the block, in the snow. More! More! - Old Navy
Driving in perfect conditions: I love it it's great fun and I really enjoy it.>>

So do I, and I would not wish to deprive you of your pleasure, road conditions are paramount and we are talking about driving on snow and ice.

Edited by Old Navy on 05/02/2009 at 17:41