Computer Related Questions -Volume 177 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 178 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 177. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/02/2009 at 18:42

'updates are ready' popup - barney100
Nothing to do with motoring but baffling me.Keep geting a pop up on computer start up saying 'updates are ready' and I can't get id of it.....any solution please appreciated.

Edited by Webmaster on 03/02/2009 at 13:08

'updates are ready' popup - redviper
Hi

Which OS are you using, is it MS security centre advising you that Windows updates are ready? - in which case download the updates, (Via the security centre or MS website, and then it will disapear)

Is it a 3rd party program thats ready to update if so? which one?

Edited by Webmaster on 03/02/2009 at 13:09

'updates are ready' popup - John Sheridan
If you are running WinXP or Win Vista then it sounds like you have set the machine to "download but not install" Microsoft updates.

Looking at your desktop screen is there a yellow icon in the bottom right corner that looks like a shield? If so, double-left click on it should bring up options to install the updates.

'updates are ready' popup - Stuartli
There has been an update available for .NET Framework (in this case V3.5) in the last two or three days but, apparently quite a lot of people are experiencing problems either with trying to download and install it or after installation.

Like you, they can't get rid of the yellow "updates available" icon.

If you have Version 3.5 already installed, you could try downloading the Service Pack 1 driect:

tinyurl.com/dhsajd

and then Family Update:

tinyurl.com/8u2u3n

Once done, check with WindowsUpdate that you are up to date.

Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - Clk Sec
>>>But you have to have Word, Excel or PowerPoint installed...

Thanks for your replies.

I know that there are spell checkers I can use with Outlook Express, but if anyone can recommend one, all the better.

Clk Sec
Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - jbif
.. I know that there are spell checkers I can use with Outlook Express, but if anyone can recommend one, all the better ... >>

OK, let me ask again, more directly this time:

What is it that you find inadequate about the built in OE spell checker. It has built in options for a choice of languages, including UK English.
What is it about OE's spell checker that you don't like? [Why do you expect another dictionary to be better?]

Without knowing what your real problem is with your current spell-checker [which one do you use?], it is going to be difficult to suggest a "better" alternative.

Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - bintang
What is it about OE's spell checker that you don't like?

Sorry to but in, but how do I get to the checker in the first place? There is nothing on the tool bar that reveals one.
Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - JH
Bintang
I guess it's in Tools, Options, Spelling. I say "guess" because OE has been superseded by Windows Live Mail and that's where it is in there.
JH
Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - Clk Sec
>>> how do I get to the checker in the first place? There is nothing on the tool bar that reveals one.

That's my problem too, but as stuartli said (vol 176), you need to have Word, Excel or Power Point installed for the spelling command to be available.

Clk Sec
Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - jbif
That's my problem too, but as stuartli said (vol 176), you need to have Word, Excel or Power Point installed for the spelling command to be available. >>

Does that mean that you do NOT have any of the MS Office software mentioned, and you are looking for an alternative?

If yes, then google for, say: UK english spell checker for outlook express

If you do have the MS software but OE spell checker function is absent, then try this solution:
www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html
That explains how to replace a missing/corrupt file csapi3t1.dll , in case it is the culprit.

Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - Stuartli
I've had a look at jbif's link above and right at the very end it lists a couple of spell checkers that may/should fit the bill.
Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - SpamCan61 {P}
Just checked my work laptop which has full Office 2003 on it, but there is still no 'spelling' option on the 'tools' menu in Outlook; although there is an option to check spelling before sending, and that does work; seems a bit strange.
Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - bintang
I guess it's in Tools Options Spelling

It is. Many thanks.
Spell / Typo Checker (from vol 176) - rtj70
To have spell checking as you type, you need to have Word selected as your email editor. That's setup via Tools > Options > Mail Format and select Word as the editor for emails.
Think All Scam - bintang
Hope is at hand for anyone who, like me, was suckered into paying for ?free " software from the US Think All outfit three years ago, and then found themselves automatically involved in a ?software continuity program? to receive, and pay for, more items on top. I managed to stop deliveries after the first lot, but Think All were ?done? by the Federal Trade Commission for more than 2 million bucks and I was reimbursed by the Commission this morning. God Bless America! Details of the judgment at

www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/06/manay.shtm/

Notepad - Martin Devon
Good Morning all,

I have to use 'Notepad' to send some info to a colleague regarding a website, but I open it and type in it and then can't seem to save it. Any ideas please. (XP home)

VBR.....MD
Notepad - Martin Devon
Notepad sorted thanks.

VBR MD
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - ifithelps
Never met one of the hundreds of dummies who spill liquid on their laptop?

You have now.

I think my Toshiba must be teetotal, because it didn't take kindly to a slurp of Aldi lager.

Not much, a couple of teaspoon fulls smack in the middle of the keyboard - enough to make it expire.

I've booked it into a local repair place, so we shall see what we shall see.

But if anyone has experienced something similar, what happened to you might point me in the right direction.

I know little of the workings of a computer, so feel a little bit open to be ripped off.

Anyone any ideas as to what I should expect?

Edited by ifithelps on 04/02/2009 at 07:16

It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - L'escargot
Not much a couple of teaspoon fulls smack in the middle of the keyboard -
enough to make it expire.

Is it just the keyboard? Keyboards are ten a penny ~ under a tenner for a basic one anyway.

Edited by L'escargot on 04/02/2009 at 07:19

L'escargot,

As I say, it's a laptop so what's under the keyboard is the problem.

This type of accident is a good reason to use a desktop, because, as you say, replacing a separate keyboard would be no bother.
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - L'escargot
L'escargot
As I say it's a laptop ..........

Ooops, I'm obviously not fully awake yet!
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - smokie
My daughter spilt rose wine on her Tosh - she told me it wasn't a lot. It was working fine, except the sounds, and wireless and wired networking wouldn't work. Took it to an authorised Tosh dealer, they wanted over £300 to repair - new motherboard, keyboard and other bits (most things are on the m/b anyway). Decided to not get it repaired, had to pay them something like £60 just for looking (which would have been knocked off if I'd gone ahead).

Decided to claim on household insurance, who paid with little quibble, as I was able to provide written report from Tosh dealer (think it had cost £380 less than 12 months before).

Waited for a good deal and got a better spec Dell for much less than the Tosh had cost.

Just to finish it off, they never collected the Tosh. I got a USB wireless network thingy which worked fine, but the keyboard is now failing - types random characters unless you hold down teh Alt key while typing. Sometime I will get round to opening it up to see if I can fix or salvage anything...
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - maz64
Just to finish it off they never collected the Tosh. I got a USB wireless
network thingy which worked fine but the keyboard is now failing

Just plug in a cheap USB keyboard? Makes it less portable though.
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - smokie
I did, and it was... :-)
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - rtj70
For someone looking at getting a new laptop, a lot now come with spill proof keyboards. My current one does. Worth getting one like this.

As for the OP, I'd leave it dry out and see if it works. And if not it will cost more to probably fix it than to replace it. As smokie says, it might be an insurance claim.
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - SpamCan61 {P}
Not sure about your specific model, but you can get complete replacement keyboards for some Toshibas for under twenty quid, fairly straightforward to fit if my Dell is anything to go by.

www.pcwb.co.uk/catalogue/item/TOSSP179?cidp=Froogle

for example
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - billy25
tryopening it and turning it upside down tent-like on a table, and leave the missus's hair-dryer (on cool!) blowing into it for a couple of hours. This has worked for me in the past, I dont think lager will be too bad, sugary drinks are the killers though as they leave sticky residues behind that "gum" things up.

billy
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - Statistical outlier
If you are at the stage where it is already very ill, the following can help.

Take out the battery and leave everything to completely discharge for 10 mins or so. Then rinse out the affected areas with distilled water, leaving it to dry somewhere warm (eg an airing cupboard) for 24 hours. It can wash out any sticky residues that may be shorting things out, and can help sort it.

Not normally to be recommended, but if it's already broken..
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - mfarrow
I was going to say, just swill it under the tap (the keyboard that is)!
Update on my poorly laptop.

I'm told by the repair place 'it's the motherboard' and since they are £300, the laptop's a write-off.

Got little option but to take what they say at face value, and from some of the posts on here, it could well be true.

They've offered to take my Toshiba for spares and knock a few quid off a new laptop, so I'm going to trundle across there later on and probably do a deal on that basis.

Thanks for the input.
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - rtj70
Keep the hard disk drive. Pop it in a USB caddy and (a) you have access to your old data and (b) you've got an external USB drive for backups etc. This assumes the hard disk works and not affected by the spill.

I assume you're not going down the insurance route? They may want to see it before writing it off.
It's not a pot plant, so why give it a drink? - Old Navy
When I fed a laptop a coffee the insurance companys "computer fixers" wrote off the machine, I had saved the hard drive by quickly removing it and replacing it after the machine had dried out. The hard drive was returned in a USB caddy for cost plus a small handling charge.

Edited by Old Navy on 05/02/2009 at 16:54

Skype not working - drbe
My Skype does not appear to be working. When I try to carry out the echo(?) test, I do not hear the recording of my voice.

Following the procedure in the "Skype Sound and Audio setup", I get as far as - control panel - sounds and audio devices - audio - sound playback - volume, when I get the massage "Windows cannot execute sndVol32.exe, use add/remove programs control panel to install".

Any advice please?
Skype not working - Stuartli
See:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb432485(VS.85).aspx

Also check that Mute is not Enabled (i.e. ticked) in the General tab from Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices.

Ensure that your Default audio device (on-board sound or sound card) is detailed in the Sound and Video tabs on the same panel.
Just remembered that it's quicker to get to Audio Properties by right clicking on the Volume icon and selecting Adjust Audio Properties...:-)
Just one small point. Are you using a headset with a volume control?

If so, you may have it turned down. I have to do this as I use a double stereo output adapter to allow use of both the headset and the computer speakers from the one output socket; sometimes I forget about the headset's volume control being turned right down when switching to Skype use.

By the way, the final version of the current Skype offering has been released today (Skype 4.0.0.206 Final); it can be downloaded from the Skype website and installed over the current version to retain the configuration.

Edited by Stuartli on 04/02/2009 at 10:44

Skype not working - drbe
Thanks for those responses. I am using the desktop speakers and a microsoft web cam thing.

Skype worked in the recent past and I am not aware of changing anything. I have done a search for sndvol32.exe and the file could not be found. The PC - Mesh - came with pre-installed software, so I am not able to download from the cd/dvd.
Normal download websites seemed to have stopped including sndvol32.exe.

However, see the second response in this link:

tinyurl.com/cjel8q
Skype not working - drbe
After some Googling and downloading, I hae done another search for sndvol32.exe, with results as follows:-

I have found 8 files, 5 dated 4/2/2009 and 3 dated 31/3/2003.

Can I assume that the 2003 files will be corrupt? Should I copy one of the files with today's date to the Windows system 32 folder (if I can)?
It's normally best to use the latest version for your OS in such cases.

I presume you mean you did a search in Windows (Search Files and Folders)? I've just done one and found only one instance of sndvol32.exe, dated October 2004, plus a Prefetch version.

Before copying one of the files to the Windows system, it might be best to Delete all but one of the current entries and first see if that clears up the problem.

Firefox - madf
Just to say thanks for the previous notes on Firefox.

Using XP and IE7, got all sorts of problems over the working day as all my Java based realtime programs gradually interfered with IE7.. ultimately disabling many of the right click functions and forcing a reboot to solve it.

Switched to Firefox on Monday and after 2 minutes self training never looked back.
After 13 hours non stop running Firefox never failed once yesterday.

IE7 is a Pile of ####.

Moves to correct place, as per "Please Note" msg at start of thread

Edited by Webmaster on 04/02/2009 at 11:55

Firefox - jbif
Just to say thanks for the previous notes on Firefox

re. Firefox, and Pugugly's recomm. to use Thunderbird :
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=71384&...e

Note new versions released today:
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/04/firefox_3_0_6_jav.../
"Mozilla has released an update to Firefox 3.0 that fixes half a dozen serious security glitches in the web browser. .... ...
released the update yesterday and confirmed that the worst vulnerability to have been addressed was, once again, a JavaScript issue.
Mozilla said the bug, which also affects its Thunderbird email client and SeaMonkey internet suite, could allow a wrongdoer to run dodgy code on exploited machines. ... "

Be safe.

Edited by jbif on 04/02/2009 at 16:33

Firefox - Rattle
I've been using it for around 5 years now since it was known as Firebird, 2003 I think was the first year I used it, used it ever sense. Yes I know there are better browsers but in terms of user experience I just much prefer Firefox.

I hate IE so much, too many bad memories of my days working as a CSS creator tying to get my layouts working in both browsers. I had to make a poster in CSS once IE6 made what should have been more fun than dating a page 3 model made it a complete nightmare. Still got paid well for it :D
AVG - latest update causing problems - Dynamic Dave
Just after an update last night I got a message that my desktop pc (Win XP) needed restarting to complete the update that had been downloaded. After restarting I got an error message saying something like the AVG toolbar couldn't be loaded. In the end I uninstalled AVG and re-installed it and everything was fine. Same problem tonight though. I'm currently downloading a newer version than previously downloaded some months ago, (but both downloads are version 8.0), to see if that will resolve the problem.

Has anyone else had any problems the past couple of days with AVG update download files?

I'm wondering if its a WinXP thing as the same version on my laptop (Vista) is fine.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2009 at 19:08

AVG - latest update causing problems - Robbie
I have been having problems with the updates for AVG. This has been happening for the past couple of weeks. I get the message that there was a problem with updating. and I have had to manually update AVG,
AVG - latest update causing problems - jbif
Has anyone else had any problems the past couple of days with AVG update download files?

A lot of reports of that ilk currently on

freeforum.avg.com/list.php?12,page=2

AVG - latest update causing problems - billy25
why not dump v8.0 and revert to 7.5? - it's still supported and still works and updates fine. Not a fan of "suites" as such, they tend to bundle loads of carp along with one good product, and thats exactly what v8.0 is imho.
billy
AVG - latest update causing problems - Victorbox
Probably the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 update (critical apparently) but at 280-odd Megabytes it's not a small patch!! See if it's in Add/Remove Components in Control Panel.
AVG - latest update causing problems - Dynamic Dave
Thanks everyone.

Well touch wood, everything now seems ok since I downloaded a newer version than I had previously.

Having read a post in the link jbif provided,

freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,170616,backpage=2,sv=

I *think* Spybot S&D was interfering with the update download and not allowing last nights update to install the newer version properly.
AVG - latest update causing problems - scouseford
DD

I had the same problem last night and resorted to the same remedy. All now seems to be OK but I don't use 'Spybot' so there must have been some other culprit.
Lap top connected to LCD TV but no TV sound - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have connected my partners laptop to her LCD TV and there are 2 problems. The minor one is that the screen which is centred on the lap top is offset to the right on the TV; there is a margin down the left side and right side is off the edge of the TV screen. The major one is the fact while the picture is fine, apart from the above, there is no sound except from the tinny laptop speakers. I have been thru the TV controls without getting a result. Might there be something I should adjust at the computer end? I found an icon in the Control Panel which is a loudspeaker called Sound but it didn't seem to lead to anything about output control or quality.
Lap top connected to LCD TV but no TV sound - smokie
How's it connected? It sounds like you are essentially just using the TV as a PC monitor, which will be the case if you are using the standard VGA connector.
Thanks Smokie. Yes it is the standard link cable - 15 pins, slightly staggered in 3 rows of 5; plugs into the side of the laptop and a similar socket on tv. Cable has 'male' pins and fits correctly into the kit. All that is not working properly is the TV sound. Are you saying the set up I have is not capable of doing TV sound?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 05/02/2009 at 22:32

Lap top connected to LCD TV but no TV sound - smokie
That's correct. You're using a standard VGA (computer) cable which can only carriy display.

If you have a sound input jack on the TV you could get a cable to connect it to your sound port on the laptop.

Smokie, that isn't the answer I was hoping for But I understand what you are saying! Off to buy more cables! Thanks for your input!
Lap top connected to LCD TV but no TV sound - ifithelps
Armitage,

Another solution would be to buy external USB speakers for the laptop.

Mine cost about 15 quid and produce better sound than most small TVs.

You might also be able to get a clever lead that has VGA and a headphone jack on one end (for the computer) and a scart on the other end (for the telly).
Lap top connected to LCD TV but no TV sound - Stuartli
A modern LCD television usually has a range of audio and video inputs - the most likely lead in this instance is a stereo 3.5mm to stereo 3.5mm audio jack plugs lead of the required length, feeding the TV from your laptop's speakers output socket.

Edited by Stuartli on 06/02/2009 at 08:50

Right Align symbol in Word - bintang
My formatting toolbar gives Left and Centre Align symbols but no Right Align/justification symbol. I have not needed it till now but it was present on my former Windows 98 machine - I now use Windows XP. How can I get it to display please?
Right Align symbol in Word - JH
Bintang,
this is Word? If so - View, Toolbars, Customize, Commands. Have fun!
JH
Right Align symbol in Word - rtj70
Bintang,

You have either hid it by mistake or have the toolbar truncated because there are too many toolbars (with buttons) on the same "toolbar" line. You might find it is available but from the drop down list of button at the right hand end of the toolbar.

Be careful if you use the Customize Toolbar Commands! You might lose even more.
Right Align symbol in Word - bintang
You might find it is
available but from the drop down list of button at the right hand end of
the toolbar.

It is, along with other useful facilities. Many thanks.
Right Align symbol in Word - rtj70
If you drag the toolbar down a bit, you'll get another full sized toolbar for this. Fewer (maybe no) buttons then need accessing via a drop down list. Word is trying to be clever.
External RAM ? - Petel
Evening all.
Would welcome any input on the following please.

Have two laptops which I use for home and work. Both are several years old and not to top spec but do all that I need, except that they are slow to download and display clips on sites such as Youtube and Metacafe.

I am told that this is because they both have too slow a chip and/or insufficient RAM to handle the 3.9 to 4.2 Mbps coming from the external modem provided by my ISP.

Could anyone please advise if there is an external unit, that I could connect between the modem and my laptop, which would pull down the Youtube/Metacafe type clips faster, in order to dislay them on the laptops screen, even if this would mean by-passing the laptops own internals?

Many thanks.
Petel

External RAM ? - Stuartli
You should be able to add extra RAM. What is the speed of the CPUs?

One way of getting round the slow speed for the moment is to Pause the YouTube videos display until the stream has built up and then hit the Play button. You can see how much has been downloaded by the red bar progressing across the bottom of the viewing screen.

I save YouTube videos of interest, especially music, to a designated folder with the downloads being handled by Save2PC. Very easy and saves bandwidth. See:

www.save2pc.com/

Edited by Stuartli on 08/02/2009 at 00:01

External RAM ? - Petel
Hello again Stewart and many thanks for your reply. I already use the pause method you mention.

One of my laptops already has extra memory added by the previous owner but the fan is running almost constantly as a result.

One laptop is Intel Celeron M420 1.6GHz with 256MB DDRII 533RAM, on a 40GB HDD
The other Intel Celeron 2.8GHz with 265MB DDR SDRAM + added memory, on a 30GB HDD.

Again, many thanks.
External RAM ? - smokie
"Slow to download" is possibly more to do with the speed of your connection than the configuration of your machines. What connection is it, with which ISP?

Stuart is right, you can usually fit extra RAM but sometimes this will mean discarding what you already have. To know whether it's possible, you'd need to know what you have now then read the machine spec (or go to www.crucial.com, which can advise on specific machines).

External RAM ? - rtj70
If the memory of the laptop is only 256Mb and presumably XP... that is barely enough to run XP. Throw out the old memory and buy 2 x 512Gb memory modules. Depending on type you might get 2 x 1024Mb for £20.

Have you fired up Task Manager to see what it's doing. I suspect swapping to disk.
External RAM ? - Petel
Many thaks to rjt70. This could be the way to go.
Regards
External RAM ? - Victorbox
I can use YouTube etc (or anything else I care to do) with 1Ghz Pentium 3 running XP Pro but with 1Gig RAM quite happily. Extra RAM is the key.
External RAM ? - Petel
Many thanks Smokie.
Agree this could be a contributary factor to my problem.
The download speeds quoted are those provided when I click the icon of my modem, I have no way of knowing if those are the actual speeds that I am receiving.

I am trying to get the loan of a newer, more powerful laptop to do a test at this time.

Connection is 265 always on broadband and ISP is Utility Warehouse, who I believe use a Frence based system.
Thank you and regards.
External RAM ? - rtj70
"Connection is 265 always on broadband"

What speed connection do you have. Although 256Mb for XP is way to low and likely to be the problem.
External RAM ? - Petel
3.9 to 4.2, dependent on time of day.
Rgds.
The speed of both CPUs, especially the latter, should be sufficient.

Clicking on the modem icon isn't normally an indication of the speeds you are receiving, but that of the maximum speed your line can provide.

To check the average speeds you are receiving, undertake two or three speed tests at:

www.speedtest.net/

The speeds will vary throughout the day depending on distance from the exchange and the contention ratio (i.e. how many others are on-line with your ISP in the area).

Edited by Stuartli on 08/02/2009 at 00:37

External RAM ? - Petel
Thanks Stewart.
I fully appreciate that what the icon states is not what I am actually receiving and that even this will fluctuate.
Rgds.
External RAM ? - Rattle
It5 all depends really:-

My parents PC with XP has 512MB RAM and this all they ever need. A professional user with XP really needs 1GB of RAM to be completly comfortable and a Vista Badic user needs 1.5GB RAM and a Vista premium user needs 2GB RAM mininum.

256MB RAM and XP is ok depending on how many services you need to run in the background. As soon as yoiu have anti virus software etc you need at least 512MB. BTW Microsoft say you need 64MB oF RAM to run XP, I ttied it once and it took more than 10 misn to boot uo!
External RAM ? - Petel
Many thanks to Rattle for the input provided.
Regards.
External RAM ? - Petel
My thanks to all for the information/assistance provided so far, it is much appreciated.

Could I now please, draw attention back to the original question, which is as follows

Could anyone please advise if there is an external unit, that I could connect between the modem and my laptop, which would pull down the Youtube/Metacafe type clips faster, in order to dislay them on the laptops screen, even if this would mean by-passing the laptops own internals?

Many thanks.
Petel
External RAM ? - smokie
I'm not aware of anything. From what we have above I would say the conclusion is that

1) you may not have a particularly fast connection (Stuart suggested you carry out some speed testing). The only way you can improve that is to pay for a faster connection

2) 256mb of memory is insufficient to run XP properly (rjt suggested increase to 512mb or more, I would re-iterate that you must check what memory configurations and specifications your laptop can handle before going ahead and buying anything)
I have XP Pro which I originally ran quite comfortably with 512MB of RAM, although I doubled this figure when memory was particularly cheap a while back.

Even using several open browser windows, Outlook Express and watching TV via a Freeview PCI TV card memory usage doesn't rise above about 430MB at any time.
Use of TinyURL links make IE need to shut down - L'escargot
If I use a TinyURL link (whether I create one and use it, or click on one in a post) I get an error message that Internet Explorer needs to shut down. This has been happening for a few days.

What's the reason and what's the solution? I have XP Home with SP3, and IE6 (or maybe IE7 ~ I don't know how to check).
Use of TinyURL links make IE need to shut down - Phil I
A good solution is to download Firefox and install one or two addons ( No Script,Adbloc and if you really must I.E.Tab.for the odd (very odd) occasion when a site objects to Firefox and sulks.

There are other browsers but Firefox is one I find most suitable.
Run in conjunction with Thunderbird Email and News application
will prove less stressful than IE + O.E .

Happy Browsing with zero aggravation Phil I
Use of TinyURL links make IE need to shut down - jbif
IE6 (or maybe IE7 ~ I don't know how to check). >>

Click Help in IE, then click "About Internet Explorer"
I get an error message that Internet Explorer needs to shut down. This has been happening for a few days. >>

the following info copied from digging via Start>Help>
------------------------------------
To view more details about an event
Open Event Viewer.
In the console tree, click the log you want.
In the details pane, click the event you want.
On the Action menu, click Properties.
Notes

To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.
To view binary data as characters, in the Data box, click Bytes. To view binary data as DWORDS, click Words.
To view details about the previous or next event, click the up or down arrow. To copy the details of an event, click Copy.
Not all events generate binary data. Binary data can be interpreted by an experienced programmer or a support technician familiar with the source application.
To retain the event description in binary data form, archive logs in the log file format (.evt). Saving logs in text format (.txt) or comma-delimited text format (.csv) discards the binary data.
-------------------------------------------------

Post details of your error here for further help.

IE8 final version is due out soon.

Edited by jbif on 09/02/2009 at 08:50

Thanks jbif, I looked at the Event Viewer but it was beyond me. Further tests suggests that the problem is related to any link (not just TinyURL links) on the HJ site.

The sequence of events is as follows.

I click on a link on this site and the page opens. When I close the page by clicking on the X in the top righthand corner I then get the error message "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We apologise for this inconvenience." Below this message are two boxes ~ "Send Error Report" and "Don't". If I click on "Don't" then IE closes immediately. If I click on "Send Error Report" then IE closes after I've sent the report.

The reason I think it might be asociated with the HJ site is that I've sent myself an email containing a TinyURL link and I can use the link successfully. I can click on it and open the webpage and then close the webpage without getting the error message from IE. I can also successively use links that I have sent to other people in emails.

Please excuse any incorrect terminology.

Edited by L'escargot on 09/02/2009 at 11:03

I've just done a test sending a TinyURL in an email and there was no problem so perhaps it's related to the HJ site.
Use of TinyURL links make IE need to shut down - Clk Sec
I have the same problem on this site if I click on to a link. I've just tried the one Oilrag put in on his Pothole thread and received the usual 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem etc...'

I, too, am on IE7, and it's been happening for about a week.

Clk Sec
Use of TinyURL links make IE need to shut down - rtj70
Is it only TinyURL that's the problem? What if you copy the link and then paste into a new browser window?

Edit: I see the thread my Oilrag does not use TinyURL. Clickable links from this site have the first part of the initial URL to be a redirection from this site. This opens a new window for you and this will load the actual target URL. It works for me. Could some of the problems be security related - i.e. you are not permitting IE to open a new browser window?

Edited by rtj70 on 09/02/2009 at 14:51

Spellcheck - Old Navy
My spelling is not the best, is there an easy way to spellcheck posts? I am using Vista and IE7, I have office installed.
Spellcheck - L'escargot
Copy and paste the message into Office and do a spell check that way before you post the message. Well, it works for me in Microsoft Works anyway.
Spellcheck - Altea Ego
My spelling is not the best is there an easy way to spellcheck posts? I
am using Vista and IE7 I have office installed.

download and use google chrome as your browser. It has spell check built in.

Spellcheck - Stuartli
Firefox includes an integrated spelling checker (Tools>Options>Advanced tab>tick/enable Check my spelling as I type)
Spellcheck - Stuartli
By the way, although I have IE7 installed, I use the IE View add-on with Firefox when appropriate. See:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35

and

ieview.mozdev.org/

Spellcheck - jbif
easy way to spellcheck posts? I am using Vista and IE7 I have office installed. >>

I have IE7pro [a free add-on, approved by MS, which also works with IE6 despite the name]. It has features similar to some add-ons available for Firefox:
www.ie7pro.com/
The spell-checker works as you type.
www.ie7pro.com/spell-checker.html
It has 16 languages, but the English is American English and you have to know when to ignore false warnings about British English spellings [but these can be added to the dictionary as correct spellings when flagged up].

Edited by jbif on 09/02/2009 at 11:45

Spellcheck - Dynamic Dave
I have IE7pro

I've been using that for quite a while now. Yes, apart from the spell check throwing a wobbly when it finds words like 'colour' and 'synchronise' and suggests you spell them 'color' and 'synchronize' it's brilliant.
Spellcheck - tyro
Stuartli,

You mentioned that "Firefox includes an integrated spelling checker (Tools>Options>Advanced tab>tick/enable Check my spelling as I type)"

Mine is in American English. Can I change it to UK English?
Spellcheck - jbif
Mine is in American English. Can I change it to UK English? >>

Have you got the correct version of Firefox? [ English(British), NOT English(US) ]
Choose language here:
www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

Edited by jbif on 09/02/2009 at 17:43

Spellcheck - Stuartli
Tools>Options>Content tab>Preferred Language.
Spellcheck - jbif
Yes, apart from the spell check throwing a wobbly when it finds words like 'colour' and 'synchronise' and suggests you spell them 'color' and 'synchronize' it's brilliant. >>

Hello DD.
I have found a solution to change IE7pro English to British from US:
www.d-log.info/?p=2793
" .... it is possible to ?fool it? into using one. IE7Pro uses the Open Office dictionary format. So download the free Open Office English UK dictionary, then?
1. Unzip the Open Office dictionary file, re-name en_GB.aff and en_GB.dic to en_US.aff and en_US.dic
2. Copy your re-named files into C:/Program Files/IE7Pro/Spelldic/en_US, allowing them to overwrite the existing American English dictionary files. ... "

Alternatively, www.iespell.com/index.htm

Edited by jbif on 09/02/2009 at 18:06

Logo Design Software? - audiA6tdi
Where can I obtain a Logo Design product? I have looked on the internet but most of them seem to be cheesy American sites. I'm not after a freebie and will pay for quality. Has anyone had any experience using a good quality program?

Thanks
Logo Design Software? - Stuartli
You will see what type of software you require from these links:

desktoppub.about.com/cs/software/f/logo_software.h...m

www.freeserifsoftware.com/

www.download.com/windows/graphic-design-software/1...l

www.summitsoftcorp.com/products/Logo-Design-Studio...p

Logo Design Software? - Happy Blue!
I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but I had a logo redesign last year from a marketing and branding consultant in ofices next to mine. He came up with more than several suggestions, and was not too expensive.

If you want his name - just ask.
Logo Design Software? - Altea Ego
If its a logo you need more than a fancy paint program. You need someone to register it, to make sure it prints ok, it doesent infringe anyone elses logo patent, and that it actually does what you want in representing you and your image.
Logo Design Software? - pmh2
and dont forget the foreign language search for any branding and naming issues!

http:// www.kwintessential.co.uk/cultural-services/article...k
eting.html

made non clickable in view of some content!

The best known example is the RR Silver Mist in in Germany.

p

Edited by pmh2 on 09/02/2009 at 17:23

Logo Design Software? - Statistical outlier
Likewise, we had a fantastic logo redesign from a company called Giraffe Design and illustration. Can pass details if required.

G
Logo Design Software? - ifithelps
...a company called Giraffe Design and illustration...

I heard they don't mind sticking their neck out. :)