Computer Related Questions - Volume 178 [ReadOnly] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 179 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 178. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/02/2009 at 13:46

Spellcheck - US or UK English (from vol 177) - tyro
Stuartli and jbif,

Thanks for your replies. My Firefox is definitely the English (UK) version. I've confirmed this by going through Tools>Options>Content tab>Preferred Language. But the spellcheck works in US English.

And here is the rum thing. I've got the same problem with OpenOffice. Tools>Options>Languages tells me that I've got UK English, but if I run the spellcheck, it does it in US English, and when I try to change it, it simply reverts back.

It doesn't bother me much, but it does puzzle me.
Spellcheck - US or UK English (from vol 177) - Stuartli
You'll find the English version at:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

You should then try finding a text box, right click in it and select "Languages" to change the language.

Spellcheck - US or UK English (from vol 177) - Stuartli
PS

You can use this website's Reply to message panel as a text box.
Spellcheck - US or UK English (from vol 177) - jbif
... I've got the same problem with OpenOffice ... >>

These pages may help to resolve your problem:
user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.ph...7
www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=50862
www.oooninja.com/2008/02/set-select-language-spell...l

Get your UK dictionary files from here
wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries
and replace/delete the current US files.

Note that the first link says in section 6: "No need to install the Mozilla extensions to activate the spell checking in Thunderbird (TB) or Firefox (FF), you can use the OOo files."

Virus warning problem - daveyjp
Virgin Media PCGuard keeps flagging a virus as follows:

Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xabovai.default\Cache\3650D4C3d01

This file is infected with "W32/MalwareHiderPatched-based!Maximus" virus and was not disinfected. Since this file is used for storing emails, it was not deleted. It is recommended that you inspect your email messages, delete anything suspicious, empty the deleted items folder, and then rescan the folder containing this file. If the file is still infected, you should delete the file. CAUTION: Deleting this file will result in the loss of all email messages stored in that file.

Virus checking finds it, quarantines it, but won't delete it. It then goes away for a couple of days then gets flagged again.

I don't use any Virgin e-mail accounts and have no stored e-mails.

Any tips on how to get rid of it?

Virus warning problem - Stuartli
There are many Google threads on this one, including some referring to having downloaded Google Earth 5 and being infected. Try an on-line scan:

www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner

to see if it brings anything up.

Edited by Stuartli on 11/02/2009 at 00:17

Virus warning problem - L'escargot
There are many Google threads on this one including some referring to having downloaded Google
Earth 5 and being infected. Try an on-line scan:
www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner

It says it might take hours to complete so I'll give it a go while I'm watching the telly this evening.
Virus warning problem - jbif
Any tips on how to get rid of it?

Yes, just follow your product supplier's very simple instructions here:
support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+cache+file+wa...s

Virus warning problem - daveyjp
Kaspersky caused my machine to hang spectacularly - battery out of laptop to get it to reset.

jbif - I've cleared the cache files and not had the warning again.

Thanks to both
Virus warning problem - jbif
Kaspersky caused my machine ...

Kaspersky and Bitdefender, two anti-virus firms with a top class reputation, have been faced with problems of their own in the last week:

www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/08/kaspersky_comprom.../
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/09/kaspersky_comprom.../

www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/10/bitdefender_pt_br.../

".... The breach at BitDefender.pt allowed the hackers to siphon customer email addresses, administrator usernames and passwords, and other sensitive information out of the site's database by embedding simple database commands into its URL. The attack is strikingly similar to one that hit Kaspersky Lab's American support site over the weekend and was exposed by the same hacker. The hacker has offered screenshots and other details that suggest the breach is real. ... "

virus- admparseh.exe - maz64
Stepson's PC appears to be infected with this blighter. Installed Spybot S&D but it crashes (due to virus I think), can't boot into safe mode (PC just resets), can't use msconfig to disable startup items (well you can but it doesn't stick).

Last hope is Avast boot-up scan which it's doing now but doesn't look like it will finish until some time tomorrow. Has anybody else got rid of this pest?

If all else fails I can re-install XP - inconvenient for stepson but hey ho. Off to bed now.

F

Edited by Focus {P} on 11/02/2009 at 23:44

virus- admparseh.exe - Stuartli
Some possible solutions:

www.greatis.com/appdata/d/a/admparse.exe.htm (30 day trial)

www.pcselfhelp.net/startup/12985

www.accelerated-ideas.com/windows-process/what-is-...x (info)

virus- admparseh.exe - billy25
if the F8 (or whatever key yours uses) refuses to boot into "safe mode" at start-up. you might be able to "force" it into "safe mode" by letting windows three-quarters boot as normal, and doing a forced shutdown (holding power button in). On restart you may get the message "windows was not shutdown properly / failed to load last time etc" and hopefully it will load into "safe mode".
This practice is not really recommended! but just occassionally it can get you out of a "sticky" patch.

Billy

Edited by billy25 on 12/02/2009 at 13:35

Thanks Billy- the F8 does work and I can select safe mode; it's shortly after that when the PC resets. I'll give your method a go.

Haven't spoken to stepson since last night, so don't know outcome of Avast bootup scan yet. It might have fixed things.

Also thanks to Stuartli for the links- haven't tried anything else yet, although I did notice that some appeared to be for the 'admparse.exe' virus rather than the admparseh.exe that I'm seeing. It might be the same thing, although one link mentioned using task manager, which my virus disabled (now restored).

Edited by Focus {P} on 12/02/2009 at 16:44

virus- admparseh.exe - Stuartli
There are, more often than not, variations on the (unwanted) theme..:-)
virus- admparseh.exe - jbif
... so don't know outcome of Avast bootup scan yet. It might have fixed things. >>

Try HijackThis en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HijackThis

Try HijackThis en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HijackThis

Yes, I've used it before (some time ago) and might again, depending on how Avast's performed.
Well stepson thought Avast bootup scan had fixed it, but it's still there.

He's not got anything in particular worth saving on the PC, so rather than more faffing around he's going to resinstall XP - I'm creating a slipstreamed SP3 disc now (on other PC). I can see the attraction of having a nice 'clean' machine again.

I did suggest it was a good excuse to get a new PC...
virus- admparseh.exe - jbif
.. I'm creating a slipstreamed SP3 disc now (on other PC). .. >>

Seems to me you then that you should be quite capable of making a XP bootdisk as per instructions at :
www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm
Just download the builder and off you go.

Edited by jbif on 13/02/2009 at 22:39

www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

Looks interesting, thanks.
Refreshingly annoying! - billy25
Hi folks.
One of my "favorite" sports news sites which acts as a hub for all the latest incoming news stories has an annoying habit of refreshing itself every 20secs!. It makes no difference even if i've moved off that page to read another, evertime it refreshes it takes me back to the home page and i've to click my way back to the story i was reading. This can happen several times whilst i'm reading a story and i'ts veeery tiresome!
Is there anyway i can stop or slow this refresh rate whilst i'm on that site?

Win98 - i.e.6sp1

cheers
billy
Refreshingly annoying! - maz64
Is there a 'stop loading page' button? On Firefox it's a red octagon with a cross in it.
Ahh! yes i have a red stop button! ;-)

hold on whilst i try it.................................

Bah! - no that doesn't stop it ;-( thanks anyway!

Billy
Can you (easily) switch to 'work offline' mode? Or does that just result in 'page not found' when it tries to refresh?
Yay! Cheers!
as you said switching to "working offline" mode resulted in "page not found" ......
but this idea "sparked a brainwave" ;-)

once i've loaded the page i want to read, i simply hit the Zonealarm red button (stop all internet activity) and this allows me to read the loaded page at my liesure! ;-)

then i hit "restore" and i can return to browsing instantly!!!

job sorted! ;-) cheers focus!

Billy
Glad you sorted it - but there must be an easier way...

Have you tried contacting the website?
Refreshingly annoying! - SpamCan61 {P}
Some of the comments on this thread suggest there are ways of getting round it, haven't tried them myself yet:-

www.holovaty.com/writing/23/
Cheers for the link, theres a page for everything if you know where to look!! '-)
will have a "proper look" later and see if theres a better way than using ZA to stop it.will also fire off an email asking if the refresh rate could be extended, even 90secs would be great!
Even if i can't get anything changed, at least i've only 2clicks now instead of 22!!
cheers folks

Billy
'Automatic' mouse-clicks. - Chris S
I've got a Lenovo ThinkPad running Windows XP.

If I hold the mouse over a link for too long it automatically clicks it.

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening? Thanks.
'Automatic' mouse-clicks. - Altea Ego
Using the trackpoint (nipple) or touchpad?

if its the nipple then

control panel/mouse/ultranav/trackpoint/settings and fiddle around with that.

if its the touchpad then

control panel/mouse/ultranav/touchpad/settings and fiddle around with that.

Mini quiz - why no virus/worm activity? - oilrag
I used to use various combinations of antivirus and antispy-ware/incorporating bot, firewall, email scanner and rootkit monitor - encountering worms trojans and viruses - including the jibber jabber auto pop up blue screen and nag box type feature.

At times the computer ran virus scans and updated it`s virus definitions - sometimes at the same time as the computer`updating` itself. There seemed to be much self checking going on with most of processor power going on seemingly maintaining integrity by constantly `auto frisking` - the browser tended to pop up adverts all over the place and sometimes these meshed on screen with warnings from the antispy and antivirus. Reading diagonally the word `Devil` could sometimes be made out.

Then....blue screen...

Sometimes the actual viruses caused text to fall of the screen - followed by a blue screen. A worm then connected my computer to a `mastermind` in Russia - via a trojan horse in a bank and all my photo`s of greased subrames became corrupted, appearing gilt edged - instead of nice and oily.

For some reason none of this has happened for the last two months ...why?

Edited by oilrag on 16/02/2009 at 09:59

Mini quiz - why no virus/worm activity? - AshT
Youve either had the PC exorcised....
or
switched to Linux, or even bought a Mac ;)

Windows "Drag and Drop" function - nick62
I'm running Windows XP pro. and for some unknown reason I have lost the ability to "drag and drop" files in the "Windows Explorer" windows.

I noticed this yesterday when I was trying to copy some files from a memory stick. The "copy and paste" option still works, but I'd like to get the D&D working again!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Windows - Stuartli
See:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q...6

Also check that the mouse is OK - i.e. if it needs new batteries or the driver is corrupted and needs reinstalling.

Edited by Stuartli on 17/02/2009 at 00:03

Free driving game (Windows) - maz64
[mods - driving related, but thought this was the most appropriate location(?).]

Something to pass the time - click on 'Nations Forever' at:
www.trackmania.com/

Not just a demo, and it's pretty good. But then it should be - it's a 500Mb download.
Printing Excel spreadsheets - borasport20
Excel 2007

I have a clever spreadsheet someone gave me which has a macro and, presumably, some underlying code, that spits the contents of the sheet into s specific format, and I'm trying to understand how it works.

Is there a simple way (or indeed any way) I can print out all the behind-the scenes code ?

ta
Printing Excel spreadsheets - jbif
few links from google: edit excel 2007 macro

office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100141121033.as...x
spreadsheets.about.com/od/advancedexcel/ss/excel_m...m
h30187.www3.hp.com/tutorials/viewHowTo/p/courseId/...m

just try "making" a macro [anything, not just for printing] to learn how they work.
www.barrelofcrafts.com/index.php/how-to-edit-a-mac.../

Edited by jbif on 17/02/2009 at 15:20

SATA Hard drive - audiA6tdi
I have a 200gb 8mb cache Maxtor Sata drive i brought in 2005. Would there be much of a speed increase upgrading to a 500gb Sata driver with 32mb cache?
They seem so cheap now and ive seen 500gb for around £48.

My current drive isnt even half full so its not the space im after, its the speed.
Ive heard about sata 1 & sata 2 (150mbs & 300mbs) but my motherboard only supports version 1.

Any comments appreciated.
SATA Hard drive - rtj70
Your drive probably spins at 7200rpm. You would notice an increase in speed if you went for a 10,000 rpm drive (or even 15,000). But these are more expensive and will be lower capacity - the disk needs to be spun faster.

The larger cache on the drive may help depending on what you use the drive for.

If your mothboard only support SATA 1 then you're also unlikely to see a difference. What is it about your drive that you find slow?
ive upgraded the memory to 4gb - using win xp pro and running an Athlon 64 3700 but the hard disk still clatters away. Ive also put a fresh install of win XP Pro on.

I may look at a 10k drive and see what the pricing of those are.
Are there any group tests of hard drives on the net? Ive looked on PC Pro & Computer Shopper.com but they dont seem to have anything on there?

thanks
SATA Hard drive - JH
Audi
PC Pro recommends Samsung Spinpoint. www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/129818/samsung-spinpoint-t...l

With 4GB of memory I think you need to ask what is your disk doing? It shouldn't be paging with that much memory, well not much, so what is it up to? Do you have an over active virus checker maybe?
JH
SATA Hard drive - Stuartli
Hard drive tests:

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Storage,5/Internal-St.../

tinyurl.com/cr9t5q

www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1746

tinyurl.com/cl2nhd

SATA Hard drive - Altea Ego
An increase in spin speed buys you a a shed load of pretty much nothing in the apparent speed stakes but loads in the heat noise and unreliability stakes.

The increase in cache does buy you a lot however in apparent speed increase.

As someone said tho, with XP on 4 gig (ok its only using about 3.2) it should be flying with little disk clatter.
SATA Hard drive - Falkirk Bairn
>>Ive also put a fresh install
of win XP Pro on.

Install Linux and your PC will speed up - however you then have to find software that meets your requirements!
SATA Hard drive - Altea Ego
Install Linux and your PC will speed up - however you then have to find
software that meets your requirements!

Nope. I installed unbunto on a pc that ran xp ok, and it turned into a slug.
SATA Hard drive - jbif
... memory to 4gb - using win xp pro and running an Athlon 64 3700 but the hard disk still clatters .. >>

IIRC, audiA6tdi is in the IT business, so this may be teaching grandma to suck eggs:

Could your heard disk clatter be a sign of its imminent demise?

and aren't the product reviews here any use?
www.pcpro.co.uk/

Edited by jbif on 18/02/2009 at 10:55

SATA Hard drive - jbif
try memory upgrade to 4GB ;-)

SATA Hard drive - maz64
FWIW this month's (ie. April!) Computer Shopper recommends the Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb '...is one of the fastest hard disks we've seen when copying large files ... wasn't quite as good when transferring small files, but it was still quick ... great performance is all the more exceptional given its low price'.

They give the price as £54 from Misco, but I haven't checked that.

7200rpm, 16Mb cache, part code WD6400AAKS
SATA Hard drive - John Sheridan
I'd avoid Seagate for a while as their 7200.10 disks were very unreliable - failure rates reaching 43% which is quite astonishing! They have now released the 7200.11 but I'd still avoid them for now.

I've also seen a lot of failures on Samsung F1 drives - mostly their 1Tb ones but a few 500Gb's as well.

Western Digitial is my choice at the moment.

On Sata1 to Sata2 - a Sata2 drive would be quicker but in real world use most people probably would not notice the difference - your motherboard would have to be capable of running Sata2 or else the hard drive would only run at Sata1 speeds.
SATA Hard drive - smokie
Probably wise advice John, I've also read about issues with these Seagate drives. There is apparently a firmware update which reduces failure rates (how can a failure rate reach 43% btw - surely it is 43% or it isn't??). Seagate are a long standing and reputable company and are not the only manufacturer with issues.

IE for Mac? - mike hannon
This may seem either a very silly or a very simple question. Is it possible to download a version of IE for Mac OS X?
My ISP in France gives me free TV on the computer but it will only work with IE. There's an ancient version of it on my 'spare' hard drive but it doesn't work very well. I just wondered if there's a later version available. Not that French TV is really worth it except for the local weather forecast!
IE for Mac? - AshT
As far as I know, MS do not support or have available IE for Mac any more - my old emac when running 10.3 had a very old version of IE installed and trying to update that failed.
Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I see to recall seeing an add-on for Firefox that identifies it to web pages as IE?
IE for Mac? - Stuartli
Maybe someone else can confirm this but I see to recall seeing an add-on for Firefox that identifies it to web pages as IE?>>

You are probably thinking of IE View, which I have mentioned in the forum before:

ieview.mozdev.org/

This may be of interest with regard to the Mac:

ieview.mozdev.org/faq.html#macieview

IE for Mac? - jbif
IE for Mac?

Yes, if the comments here are to be believed:
blog.mozmonkey.com/2008/vpc-ie6-ie7-ie8-on-mac-os-.../

IE for Mac? - mike hannon
Thanks for that - very interesting.
On second thoughts I'll have another go at re-aiming the satellite dish!
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - L'escargot
I'm getting a frequent error message as per the post title. By going through the error reporting procedure I eventually end up with the information that it's a problem with Windows for which Microsoft as yet doesn't have a solution. The recommendation is that I make sure that I have the latest updates, just in case doing this improves stability. I have automatic updates so I do have the latest updates, and it hasn't yet improved stability.

Is there anything I can do to resolve the matter? I don't mind if it costs me money if I know it's going to work.
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - smokie
As the very general error description and the Microsoft resolution imply, this could be a million and one things. A damaged plug-in, or a corrupt cookie are probably high on the list of suspects.

Can you identify anything in common with what you were doing/where you were navigating when the error occurred?

This is one of those kinds of problems that, for me, indicates it's time for a re-installation.

There's no reason it should cost you money btw - it is almost definitely not hardware related.

Others will be along soon to say use Firefox or Chrome instead - I am a great fan of Chrome.

Edited by smokie on 21/02/2009 at 07:56

IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - ifithelps
Is this soon enough?

Use Firefox or Safari.

Not tried Chrome.

Plus there are some sites that seem not to like a particular browser, so having a choice of one or two on your desktop is no bad thing.
Can you identify anything in common with what you were doing/where you were navigating when
the error occurred?

When it occurs, it's always after I've closed a web page or site, but it doesn't appear to be related to any particular website. Is there any way I can review a list of the plug-ins I've recently installed? I could then uninstall them in reverse order until I found the one that's causing the problem.
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - Altea Ego
what version you using?
found in Help/about

what version you using?
found in Help/about

So that's where it is. I've often wondered.

It's IE7.

Version: 7.0.5730.11IS
Cipher Strength: 128-bit
Product ID: 84876-600-412467-04970
Update Versions:0
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - maz64
Try IE8?

www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/beta/

Note that it's a pre-release ie. there's a (hopefully small) chance you'll end up with more problems. Feel lucky? :-)
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - rtj70
I have a beta of Windows 7 which has IE8. It does not display this webpage properly. In fact another website it does not handle properly apparently is Microsoft's!
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - maz64
I have a beta of Windows 7 which has IE8. It does not display this
webpage properly.

Perhaps it shouldn't - if you check the validity of the discussion home page using validator.w3.org/ it reports 178 errors and 20 warnings! :-)

Edited by Focus {P} on 21/02/2009 at 16:07

IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - Rattle
I don't know if you have ever noticed but if you format a computer and run IE6 for the first time (this was the in the days of XP) iot would load Microsofts website and a flash animation on the home page would creash it.

This happened on every single machine.
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - Stuartli
Try SFC (you may need your XP installation disk to be available).

Go to Start>Run and key in:

sfc /scannow (note the space)

and click OK.

I think this alternative is for IE6 judging by the date:

tinyurl.com/al5jjz

I don't use IE7 very much as I'm a Firefox enthusiast - I do have IE View installed in case I wish to look at pages with the IE alternative whilst in Firefox.

Edited by Stuartli on 21/02/2009 at 10:56

IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - Stuartli
Some more potential help:

www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - Pugugly
Get Firefox - although according to a long haired sales assistant with an unironed shirt in a well known computer retailer - "It's barely legal"
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - rtj70
Firefox is good - and I quite like Chrome too to be honest.

The problem I mention above with IE6 on Windows 7 is minor.
IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - jbif
So that's where it is. I've often wondered. >>

L'escargot:
As it was explained to you here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=71798&...e

As for IE7 crashes, IIRC you have a belt and braces system of protection on your PC.
So it could be a myriad of causes. IE7 has multiple settings, and it can be confusing even for geeks. So, if you want an easy simple solution, the best advice is to avoid the problem and go for Mozilla Firefox as suggested by many others above.

It has fewer buttons to tweek in its settings, and may prove to be ideal for your needs.

Other browsers worth trying are Opera, and Google's Chrome.
All are quite easy to download and install.

......... IIRC you have a belt and braces system of protection on
your PC.
So it could be a myriad of causes.

I sorted my security programmes some time ago and now have just one supplier ~ Webroot Antivirus with AntiSpyware, and Webroot Desktop Firewall.

Fortunately the IE problem has, without me doing anything, now disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared. My thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I've saved Stuartli's links in my favourites in case of a re-occurrence.

Clk Sec reported a similar problem and it would be interesting to know his outcome.

Edited by L'escargot on 23/02/2009 at 10:23

IE has encountered a problem and needs to close - Clk Sec
>>Clk Sec reported a similar problem and it would be interesting to know his outcome.

I moved from IE7 to Firefox. Problem resolved.

775 motherboard for Celeron D with dual channel - maz64
Bit of a long shot, but anyone know of a cheapish (<£50) socket 775 motherboard that supports Celeron D CPUs (specifically a 356) and dual channel memory? I've looked on eBuyer and Dabs but not seen anything yet.
775 motherboard for Celeron D with dual channel - jbif
... anyone know of a cheapish (<£50) socket 775 motherboard .. >>

No, but some of the under £80 PCs just listed
www.bigpockets.co.uk/cat.php?search=PCs+%26+Laptop...7
[complete with XP Pro] might be worth thinking about. Note that they usually sell out very quickly.

www.bigpockets.co.uk/cat.php?search=PCs+%26+Laptop...7

Thanks- I'll bookmark that.
775 motherboard for Celeron D with dual channel - rtj70
Something like this:

www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/30899

or this:

www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/39873

I only searched for ones in stock. They have more Socket 775 boards and all would support the CPU.

Edited by rtj70 on 22/02/2009 at 16:00

Something like this:
www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/30899

Great! Ticks all the boxes, well found.
www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/39873

Not that it matters, but I don't think this one supports Celeron Ds.
tinyurl.com/aaszxq

Cheers
F
I use Microdirect all the time but that's because I live close to one of their locations (the one that also does the online orders). Other places cheaper but I've been using them since around 1995 - they've moved and expanded a fair bit since then.

I think you're right about the Celeron D for the second one.

With processors cheap now I'd be tempted to swap to a better CPU at the same time.
With processors cheap now I'd be tempted to swap to a better CPU at the
same time.

I'd love to, but I'm lucky enough to be allowed to buy a new motherboard :-)

(Current board's on-board LAN is broken along with one of the 2 PCI slots, so I have to swap the LAN card with the 1394 card every time I want to connect the DV camera.)

Actually my (3.3GHz) Celeron doesn't too badly against the lower end Core 2s such as the E2xxx in games, which is the most demanding thing our PC does. From what I remember when PCW tested it along with a load of C2Ds a couple of years ago there wasn't much difference in the gaming benchmark scores, because the graphics card was the bottleneck.

I've ordered the Gigabyte; thanks again.

F
I remember you posting on the LAN card/Firewire problem now.

I've got an old Pentium 4 660 3.6GHz in my desktop and it's fine. I have a work laptop with a dual core Core 2 Duo running at 2.0GHz. They are about the same speed for intensive things like video encoding so I know not to upgrade my home PC. And upgrading would need new motherboard, memory, etc as well as the CPU so not cheap!

PS hope the new motherboard sorts it out for you. Hopefully you already have DDR2 memory in the old system. Mine came with DDR because it was just before DDR2 became mainstream. Suited me as I had lots to put in it from the old system.

Edited by rtj70 on 22/02/2009 at 17:28

PS hope the new motherboard sorts it out for you. Hopefully you already have DDR2
memory in the old system.

Thanks - yes, fortunately; just checked the order (Dec 2006 - 2 x 512Mb, £25 each ex. VAT).
After the usual few scary moments*, new board installed and working fine. 3DMark2001 score improved from 172xxx to 185xxx, which seems quite good given that single/dual channel isn't supposed to affect games performance much due to the graphics card usually being the bottleneck.

Thanks again.

F

- Moving CPU + cooler from old board to new - always a worry. Cooler always seems more difficult to fit than it should be.
- First switch on - single beep (good) and lots of disc whirring, but no display (not so good). I'd connected up an old CRT monitor to the board's VGA output as I assumed it would default to onboard grahics, but in fact I think because I'd fitted the PCI-E graphics card it had decided to use that instead.
- First Windows login - mouse wouldn't move, so couldn't select user to login. Assumed it needed to install motherboard USB drivers before mouse would work - doh! Fortunately found an old type connector mouse lying around.
Virgin Media and New Broadband Prices - rtj70
I have just realised today that I can get the broadband XL (20Mbit/s) package for £5 less than I was paying for the broadband L (10Mbit/s) package. All changed over after a phone call to 150.

So for £5/month less I get double the speed. I didn't want the 50Mb/s package (not sure we have it here yet). And they didn't offer the new low end package of 10Mb/s for only £14/month.

Just letting other members know you could get improved service for less. They assured me it is not a new contract if I needed to terminate (been with them since 2000) but next month's bill will get a debit and credit of £99 for some reason.

Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 24/02/2009 at 18:15

Virgin Media and New Broadband Prices - Altea Ego
Its the same with Tiscali - and I assume other ISP's. You have to actually check what deals they are offering and contact them requesting a move to the new deal. I cut my rates and increased my speed three times by doing so - it was never "offered" I had to ask.
Altea Ego, I was aware of the changes but 50Mbit/s is not available. Seeing new prices for new customers a few days ago and a news item today thought I'd post.

I think there's a few Virgin Media customers on here. We seem to be the ones with intermittent 10 minute outages on the site. I wonder if that becomes 5 minutes at 20Mbit/s @-)
ones with intermittent 10 minute outages on the site. I wonder if that becomes 5
minutes at 20Mbit/s @-)

no - it means that you loose more data in your 10 minute outage.
And if its only Virgin media customers who cant get into the site in these periods I would say Virgin have a DNS server/replication issue.

Tiscali suffered it for a while.
You might not be wrong AE... all other sites work but the address of this site can be resolved. But it might not just be a VM customer problem.

Edited by rtj70 on 24/02/2009 at 18:36

Virgin Media and New Broadband Prices - Stuartli
One of the many reasons I left Tiscali three years ago was the fact that I was informed that it was not possible to have a 2MB service on my line after I started getting problems with the service.

I had contacted customer services to complain about the problem, the first time it had happened after around 18 months on 2MB, and they insisted they were right; an engineer even rang to inform me this was the case and no amount of persuasion could change his mind.

So, reluctantly, I used the Upgrade/Downgrade service to drop down to 1MB even though I suspected that the problem was due to Tiscali itself, following its "service work" at my exchange.

Lo and behold, a few days later the Upgrade/Downgrade service revealed that 2MB was, indeed, available to me, but at a higher price...:-)

I then obtained a MAC as TalkTalk was just starting its broadband/phone and line rental package at substantially lower cost and have never regretted the switch, even though I had been with WorldOnline for eight years (it was taken over by Tiscali).
Creating An Association!! - OAP
I am trying to open an attachment which has arrived with an e-mail but up comes a message which says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".

Please can someone explain to me how to do this....I haven't a clue :o)

TIA
Creating An Association!! - rtj70
What sort of file has been sent and do you trust who sent it?

If there is no file association for the file type (on Windows the last three letters after the . tells the system what it is) then you possibly do not have the software needed to open it. Or the file association has been removed.

So let us know what sort of file (e.g. .doc, .rar, .zip etc)
Yes, I do trust the sender.

In the box headed 'Do you want to open this file?'...against TYPE: it says 'Unknown file type'....which, I fear, means that we are going round in circles!
Creating An Association!! - John Sheridan
On the email - what is the attachments FULL name i.e Myfile.doc

Does this answer your question:

C:\Documents and settings\Steve\local settings\Temporary internet files\content.IE5\E8ADOA...

Thanks for trying to help me.
No. If that really is the attachment then it does not look like a file. If I attached a file to you (you have incoming mail) you'd see a file you can either open or save to disk. This looks like someone may not have attached the file properly.

Anyway look in your inbox.

Rob (A Moderator)
OAP I tried sending a test attachment (a simple text file) which should open... but your registered email address appears not be accepting incoming mail. If you update your email (or fix it) I can send a test message.

And we do need a valid contact email on this site too so please fix it. You got the email attachment on email so must have a working one ;-)
I plead guilty as charged :o) Settings updated as requested...but must close-down until tomorrow.
Resent ;-) See what it comes through as. It should be a plain text file from me and you should be able to open... And if that works and behaves differently then we go from there.
Creating An Association!! - jbif
No. If that really is the attachment then it does not look like a file. .. >>

That is the location where the document is stored as a temporary file and "E8ADOA..." could possibly be either the name of the folder or a ".tmp" file.

C: > Documents and settings > Steve > local settings> Temporary internet files> content.IE5> E8ADOA...

Thanks jbif.... we've proved a simple attachment opens so will move from there.

Good this forum. Free computer advice ;-)
Creating An Association!! - jbif
... we've proved a simple attachment opens so will move from there >>

rtj: If OAP [Steve] cannot see the file extension, he may need advice along the follong lines:
www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html
Windows XP and Windows 2003
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Creating An Association!! - Stuartli
If you can use the Open With panel (either right click on the file) or the panel opens itself, there is usually the opportunity at the foot of the panel to allow Windows to search the web for a potentially suitable program etc for particular files.
Creating An Association!! - smokie
Stuart - I think it uses the extension to determine which program might be the right one, but this file has no extension.

OAP Can you mail back the sender and ask him what he thinks he sent you?

Edited by smokie on 25/02/2009 at 23:27

OAP has signed off for the night. He's opened an attachment from me so the original attachment might be the problem.

So we'll see how we can help tomorrow.
Creating An Association!! - BazzaBear {P}
Do you know what type of file it is supposed to be?
If the problem is simply that the sender has knocked off the identifier, then the solution can actually be as simple as adding '.doc', or the correct equivalent to the end so that windows correctly recognises it.