using a wirelesss router as a signal booster? - Rattle
As far as I know even with a complete firmware change what you're trying to is impossible. As it would require hard ware modifications. The athena would have to recieve the signal, store it some where (in its RAM) process to check for errors before sending on passing on the signal again. There well maybe some firmware which enables you do this on Linksys routers but I have never heared them being so.

If its a cable router then this may well work if it was connected via ethernet but not if its going to be a pure wireless solution. You can buy signal boosters though which take an existing signal and then boost it.

The other solution if you don't want the mess of installing an ethernet cable to the attic is to use homeplugs. I have done a few of these for health concious clients who are worried about health effects of WIFI. These basically send a frequency up your mains cables which can be recieved at the other end. You simple take one ethernet cable from the router plug into a homeplug, then at the other end plug in the home plug to a computer or wireless access point.
using a wirelesss router as a signal booster? - NorfolkDriver
Billy,

I believe it not possible to do with a router as an access point. However, if your "friend"!! installed an access point in or near the attic he would be able to receive a wireless signal.

Some access points are a bit fiddly to install and some only take WEP as the security (trial and error proved that to me).

I live in a village. I am on one side of a railway line, my parents on the other side, on the opposite corner. If I take my laptop over there I cant get a signal. Plug in the access point I have supplied them with and Im online.

I havent tried the homeplugs that Rattle talks of. However, I have heard that you must be on the same circuit board for them to work (I have an extension and half my house is on a different board).

Hope this helps

using a wirelesss router as a signal booster? - Altea Ego
buy a new router with extended range. Or use the network/mains plugs
using a wirelesss router as a signal booster? - smokie
I have an old BT router which can be configured as a wireless gateway, so that's what I've done with it. Main router is in in one corner of house, and signal in diagonally opposite corner was poor. But luckily I already had CAT5 cable between the places.
using a wirelesss router as a signal booster? - Stuartli
Perhaps a signal amplifier would do the trick:

tinyurl.com/8tzrak (prices vary depending on outlet).

The D-LINK DWL-G710 WiFi Signal Amplifier seems to be much more expensive.
using a wirelesss router as a signal booster? - SpamCan61 {P}
Another possible alternative may be to use a more directional antenna on the existing access point, i.e. point the signal towards the attic. Can't find the link at the moment but there are antennas available at reasonable cost.