Computer Related Questions Volume 173 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 174 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 173. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/01/2009 at 01:41

Compaq F500 bios fan update chilling left leg - oilrag
Updated bios to F1F to hopefully avoid failure of computer as per advice on HP site.
Fan is now programmed to run at low speed constantly and is chilling left leg just above the knee - what to do?
Compaq F500 bios fan update chilling left leg - Manatee
Wear trousers?
Are you suggesting I`m skirting the issue?
Sincere apologies PU. I`ve never been 1st before - feel free to delete..;-)
Compaq F500 bios fan update chilling left leg - Pugugly
Its still within the 12 days of Christmas - I've already been grumpy with Scribe.
Compaq F500 bios fan update chilling left leg - rtj70
At a guess... this laptop of yours has an Nvidia graphic adapter?

These are failing due to an engineering problem. The "fix" is to run the fan to keep it cool. It will eventually fail. Do a Google.

Is it under warranty still? This fan on all the time fix is to get it past warranty and then you're on your own...

Edited by rtj70 on 02/01/2009 at 21:01

Cheers PU ;-)

Anyone got a Compaq F500 laptop and seen the critical update on HP`s site for the bios fan algorithm?
"This fan on all the time fix is to get it past warranty and then you're on your own..."

Exactly what I thought..

Yes RTJ, Thanks. It was your own earlier advice on the wireless card that put me onto it. Mine (model number) is not on HP`s list of `warranty extension` even though the wireless card has already failed. They referred me back to PC World - who had already referred me to them..

Its running Ubuntu now with an Edimax wireless dongle. I have the HP `workshop manual` but It looks as though its not going to be worth sticking a new motherboard in when it finally goes pop. That said, I have yet to price one up.

Edited by oilrag on 02/01/2009 at 21:15

Is it still under warranty though?
No, Three months out... HP were quite robust about it not being covered.

Edited by oilrag on 02/01/2009 at 21:23

Looks like it will eventually die. Is the graphics card in the F500 a separate card? But you know the WiFi one has already died.

They are crazy to think this is the way forward though.... customers and friends of customers won't come back. But the costs will be huge.
" Is the graphics card in the F500 a separate card?"

No it`s not. I have the parts catalogue.

It seems a poor show from the store I bought it from and HP. When this blows I might go to Staples - if its not part of the same company - and buy something other than a Hewlett-Packard.

Maybe anyone else with a Hewlett-Packard Compaq F500 wireless failure graphics video blank screen failure or fault - bios F1F update fan algorithm -
might consider buying from a different manufacturer for the rest of their life and tipping off all their many friends - colleagues - business and golfing buddies?

It doesn`t seem unreasonable to do so does it? Given that its only 15 months old

That said
Tantalising to consider fitting a new motherboard when it fails - but I bet its uneconomic to do so?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Pugugly on 03/01/2009 at 10:20

Compaq F500 bios fan update chilling left leg - Altea Ego
>Tantalising to consider fitting a new motherboard when it fails - but I bet its uneconomic to do so?

>Any thoughts?

*when* and *if* it actually fails about 400 quid will get you a motherboard fitted by a local pc mender. (if he can get the motherboard) and a nice little jar to keep the extra screws in that he couldnt find a home for. 400 quid will also get you a new laptop.

I could fit it myself..... I will be thinking just over £300 though for a new one - as basic as possible of course ;)

Or a little notebook running linux at £175........big hands though....

Edited by oilrag on 03/01/2009 at 10:14

I could fit it myself

done it before?
Compaq F500 bios fan update chilling left leg - Pugugly
Oilrag,

I bought a Gateway from Tesco 18 months ago specifically to edit this site - it has been hammered - tugged around the world and still works as good as new - there is wear on the case were my paw rests in use, other than that otherwise a brilliant bit of kit. Plenty of these for sale on the Morgancomputers site.
The problem Oilrag is not just a HP problem. It is a problem with laptops using some Nvidia graphic chips. More specifically the materials used to mount it to the motherboard. After sufficient thermal cycles it will fail.

This is a problem that would cost hundreds of millions to resolve which is why HP and others are "fixing" laptops with the fan running all the time. It does not fix it, but buys times - i.e. the warranty will be out.

Some graphics cards in desktops will probably fail eventually too.
"done it before?"

I`ve built a tower PC , Altea. My hands are more suited to a water pump spanner though..

Thanks PU and RTJ, If it blows I will ask for advice here before buying another ..

And to think... all because I went one up from `basic` for one with a 3d graphics motherboard. Not like me doing that ;)

Edited by oilrag on 03/01/2009 at 11:57

I`ve built a tower PC Altea.

think building a supertanker, vs repairing a watch.
I got as far as the tiny defunct wireless module - noting those microscopic connectors - before screwing the access panel back ;)
PC-to-photoframe connection won't work - bintang
PC a Windows XP Dell laptop from May 2006. Frame an XP-compatible Samsung SPF-72H from today, purchased unused from a private seller. Works well on SD card and memory stick but on PC , using the hitherto unopened cable supplied, the frame gives a message saying "Connected to PC USB port" but won't go any further. There is nothing in the trouble shooting section of the manual to explain. What is likely to be wrong, please?
PC-to-photoframe connection won't work - rtj70
When you plug it in to the PCs USB port, are you saying it does not show up as a USB mass storage device? That's what I would expect it to do, i.e. once connected you copy files using the PC and the photo frame does nothing apart from appear as a USB attached disk.

In fact it probably only allows you to copy files to the SD card or memory stick inserted and is probably for people without a card reader.
PC-to-photoframe connection won't work - maz64
It's possible that the frame's USB port is only for plugging in USB memory sticks which the frame reads, like the other slots. Perhaps you can't use it for connecting to a PC.
PC-to-photoframe connection won't work - Altea Ego
have you loaded any device drivers for the frame onto the PC?

The first clue it can connect to a PC is the message he says is displayed. The other is it says so in the product spec.It says PC connection supports "upstream connection" and for USB devices "it's downstream". To me that means a PC can send files to the device and the device can use USB memory sticks.

The links on the Samsung webpage for manual, firmware and drivers do not work for this photo frame. But I would think it will just appear as a USB mass storage device (or two).

Manual: tinyurl.com/93ygf4

As Rob says, manual states that PC can be connected to 'upstream terminal'. Haven't seen any mention of drivers.
It should have the manual and any software on the CD that can with it - apparently did not ship with a paper manual.
...although there is a 'frame manager' app
tinyurl.com/a9e9oe
The frame only has 128MB built in.... I'd stick to memory cards ;-)
I had hoped to use the PC as my main photo memory and display selections on the frame or download the best to the frame. Re earlier postings, there are connections for all three i.e. memory cards, memory sticks and PC. I fear I don't know what a "mass storage device" is, unless it refers to my C drive nor what driver is needed or how to get it. I will see what I can do with other suggestions. Thanks to all for their trouble.
When you plug the photo frame in with the supplied USB A-B cable, do you get a new drive letter appear.

Since the frame has only 128Mb internal memory I'd continue copying files to a memory card and sticking that in to the frame for display. Change the files every now and then. I can stick a SD card in the back of my LCD - big picture frame.
When you plug the photo frame in with the supplied USB A-B cable do you
get a new drive letter appear.

Presumably the supplied cable only lets you plug it into the squarer of the 2 USB sockets, directly to the left of the power socket? That's what the manual calls the 'up stream terminal' for connecting to your PC - see page 9 of the manual, link in earlier post.

I would also try using the Frame Maker program (another link above) if you're not used to using Windows Explorer.
PC-to-photoframe connection won't work - Stuartli
I fear I don't know what a "mass storage device" is>>

It can be an internal or external hard drive, a memory card reader, a memory stick, pen stick, digital camera, MP3 player etc - anything, in fact, which offers the means to store files or data.

Windows will allocate a drive letter(s) when the device is plugged in. You can drag and drop files to or from the device as required.
"Presumably the supplied cable only lets you plug it into the squarer of the 2 USB sockets"

Yes

"I would also try using the Frame Maker program "

I have now instaled it but it won't run!
PC-to-photoframe connection won't work - smokie
"I had hoped to use the PC as my main photo memory"

I think I must be missing the point here, but why not just use the PC screen instead of the frame?
"why not just use the PC screen instead of the frame? "

I hoped to be able to select images from the PC and copy them to the frame's memory. This would enable me, for example, to transfer Xmas photos then take the frame to show them to a remote aunt. They could then be erased to make way for another set. It looks as if I shall have to use a memory stick instead.
But I should have added that I am left wondering what the purpose of the PC link provided can be.
But I should have added that I am left wondering what the purpose of the
PC link provided can be.

Presumably if it was working ok you could copy a few pictures onto the internal memory without needing a memory stick/card. As mentioned earlier it might also allow copying from PC onto a stick/card in the frame, depending on the capabilities of the frame's firmware.

Speaking of which, there's the most recent version on the Samsung website which might fix the issues you're having. Worth a go? (Instructions in the manual.)
I have now found the right (complicated) procedure:

-Open MY Pictures and reduce window size
-Open My Computer and reduce window size
-Drag and drop the file or folder (not more than 60 images) into the relevant drive icon
-Disconnect USB cable
-Select Photo on the frame screen.
-Select Frame Memory. Thumbnails come up

None of this in the manual!

Many thanks to the previous posters.
PC-to-photoframe connection won't work - jbif
None of this in the manual!

Except for the latter part of your procedure, surely the initial steps are your OS [XP ?]functions to transfer/copy files/folders.
Did you expect Samsung to write a manual on how to manage files/folders using your OS?

Did you expect Samsung to write a manual on how to manage files/folders using your
OS?

(I'm not the OP) Yes, to do the tasks specifically related to using their product.
AppleMac Pro (Laptop) - Pugugly
Anyone got one ? I'm thinking of taking the plunge - just wondering whether I need to know. I assume it will slot seamlessly into my home network. Any OS problems I my encounter ?

Its bling but I know I want one.
AppleMac Pro (Laptop) - Alby Back
You posing old........

;-)
AppleMac Pro (Laptop) - Citroënian {P}
Hi PU

Yes, I've a MBP (MacBook Pro in nerdspeak!). It's a lovely machine, certainly the best laptop I've ever had (previously Sony Vaios, Toshibas, Compaqs, Dells). Work bought it though :)

Attaches to the network with ease and a bit more reliable using WPA/WPA2 than a windows laptop on my home network.

The OS is simplicity itself and I really don't using anything other than OSX at home now - I do have a Vista machine but usually am on my or my better half's Apple laptop.

Two thoughts - check there's no software you need that is PC only (you could always run Vista on the MBP - as I have installed - but it's a pain to boot into). I did run Parallels for a while, PC apps in OS X but got VERY annoyed when it stopped working when I upgraded from OSX 10.4 to 10.5 (a few apps didn't transistion very well). Another £50 to "upgrade" to the new 10.5 version made me rather upset so I didn't upgrade.

The other thought is whether you need the power of the MBP? - the new aluminum MacBooks are very nice and quite powerful - you pay a hefty premium for the MBP with its slightly larger screen, slightly better performance. If all you do it Office and Internet/Email stuff, the MB would perhaps suffice.

hth
Lee

Edited by Citroënian {P} on 04/01/2009 at 19:13

AppleMac Pro (Laptop) - rtj70
Macbook Air is really nice too.... in a few weeks there might be a quad-core Macbook Pro which will have a potential knock on effect on the Macs.

Good tutorials on Mac software on www.screencastonline.com

Edit: Not all free... screencastonline is a business.

Edited by rtj70 on 04/01/2009 at 21:13

AppleMac Pro (Laptop) - Altea Ego
overpriced, overstyled, underengineered.
Acer 5720 laptop not connecting to wifi - bobson
Hi,

For some reason my Acer laptop will no longer connect to my wifi yet my work laptop will (and am typing this post from it). The Acer won't even pick up my internet but seems to pick up a couple of other networks. I've checked my Windows settings (it has Vista) to see if an update changed anything. Nothing as far as i can see. I recently changed the anti-virus as the free McAfee trial ended so uninstalled that and installed AVG.

Any bright ideas on what might make the Acer spring back into life??
Acer 5720 laptop not connecting to wifi - NorfolkDriver
Is the wireless turned on, on the laptop?

Normally it is the Fn key in conjunction with F2 to turn wireless on.

Backing up email address book and messages to CD - L'escargot
I'd like to be able to back up to CD my Outlook Express address book, folders and messages. How do I do this (in plain English!) please?
Backing up email address book and messages to CD - Stuartli
See:

www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml
Backing up email address book and messages to CD - L'escargot
www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

Thanks Stuartli, I'm going to try copying mail files to a backup folder as per the above, and then copy from there to a CD. Just two questions ~ where it says "3. Select the folder location, and then press CTRL+C to copy the location." does select mean highlight, and does CTRL+C mean Ctrl and C simultaneously?

If I do it wrong I won't mess it up and lose the store folder, will I? Please tell me I won't!
Backing up email address book and messages to CD - rtj70
CTRL + C means press at the same time with control pressed down first.

If you don't want to use keyboard shortcuts you can always right click and select Copy.
Backing up email address book and messages to CD - SpamCan61 {P}
OK this is for Outlook 2003, not Express, but should be fairly similar:-

File > Import and Export > export to a file > personal folder file > and then select what folders you want to back up > then select the location for the backup. ( CD in your case)
Alternative to 'Mr site' - audiA6tdi
I set up a website for my part time photography business using a package called 'mr site'. The software is great and for £20 i cant complain. However i'm also looking at going fulltime with my IT support now and require a website. Is there an alternative to Mr Site that anyone knows or has used that hasnt got any advertising on? Im not looking for anything fancy i just dont want any advertising etc on there and for it to look proffesional.

Thanks in advance
Alternative to 'Mr site' - Stuartli
You could look at Microsoft's FrontPage:

office.microsoft.com/en-gb/frontpage/default.aspx

You can use Word as well, but it's a bit hit and miss from what I tried a while back:

www.er.uqam.ca/merlin/xw999998/eng/econceptw.htm

or

www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml
Alternative to 'Mr site' - geoff1248
An easy web site building package is available free of charge from Serif "Serif Web Plus SE". Nice and easy to use and it even posts your site to your ISP. No adverts, just does what it says.
Deleting OE Inbox - Robin Reliant
Is it possible to delete the entire contents of the Outlook Express inbox in one hit, or do you have to do them all one at a time?

I have over 2000 of the damn things.
Deleting OE Inbox - Dynamic Dave
Click on one email. Next hold down the ctrl key & A key (this will select all the messages in that folder). Release ctrl & A keys, next hold down the shift key and press delete.
Deleting OE Inbox - jbif
... next hold down the shift key and press delete.

Then use the "compact" tool from OE>file>folder>compact all.
Then empty your recycle box.

Deleting OE Inbox - Robin Reliant
Thanks both.
Deleting OE Inbox - terryb
Or you can single click the top item, hold the shift key and single click the last item, then click on delete. For selecting items to delete, hold the ctrl key instead of the shift key.

Or you can single click the top item hold the shift key and single click
the last item then click on delete.

Pressing Ctrl + A is far quicker and easier though ;o)
Deleting OE Inbox - Stuartli
Yes, but with this method (which I use) you can highlight and click to remove as few or as many items as you wish. Often there are one or two that you may not wish to delete, so it's undertaken in blocks.

It can, of course, also be used to copy or transfer files by right clicking on the highlighted files.

Edited by Stuartli on 07/01/2009 at 18:58

Often there are one or two that you may not wish to delete so it's undertaken in blocks.

But the original question asked how to delete the entire contents of the inbox. Hence the answer Ctrl + A to select them all in one go.
Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Deskpilot
I have used Norton Antivirus products for some years and currently operate Norton Internet Security 2009, which works very well.

The only problem is that on start-up I get a Warning Window which states "An Unknown error has occurred" etc., and invites solution by pressing an "OK" button. This, in fact, takes you to a Norton Sales Site on which you are invited to purchase Norton 360 (a very similar product to NIS2009).

On refusing acceptance of the Norton 360 package, one is then re-directed to the Norton Technical Site.

Frankly, if the "X" box is ticked on the Warning Window, then it just disappears and all is well.

It is just so annoying! I have deleted the program and re-installed a couple of times but to no avail.

I did go on to the Norton Technical Site in India using the "chat room" interchange to effect a solution. The technician wished to take control of my computer, delete and re-install the program, which I had already done! Since it was by that time my bedtime, I took the matter no further.

I would be grateful to hear from any similarly affected users or for advice, please.

subject line revised

Edited by Pugugly on 06/01/2009 at 20:47

Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - crunch_time
I cannot understand why anyone would pay for an antivirus product (particularly Norton) when there are so many good and proven free ones available.

Do they pay compensation if it misses something which wrecks your computer?

Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - jbif
... delete and re-install the program .. >>

Norton is notorious for difficulty in removing all traces of it from your PC.
Did you do it this way:
service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/...9

and as crunch_time hints, you may want to then move on to something free, I suggest something like Comodo or Avast.

Edited by jbif on 06/01/2009 at 21:22

Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Stuartli
The only Norton product I let anywhere near my system is Norton Ghost.

By the way, Avast! is an AV utility, whilst Comodo is mostly known for its excellent firewall. Both freeware and both very effective.

Edited by Stuartli on 06/01/2009 at 22:22

Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Rattle
I am getting sick of removing basic spyware from systems with Norton installed and usualy fully upto date. The worst thing is it is advertised as being able to remove spyware but half the time it dosn't even know its on there.

The only use it seems to have in my opinion is to boost the profits of the likes of DSG which make large margins on Norton.
Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Pugugly
I got Norton for nothing with my BT account - can't think of anything positive else to say.
Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - rtj70
Rattle, you are making money for this. A suggestion might be to offer a service where you health check PCs including doing virus and trojan scans. These take time so could make some money easily?? A fixed price might tempt quite a few. Just don't offer any guarantee as you don't know what site they might visit next.

A good defrag too?

I have my own thoughts of about it, because it always gets good reviews in magazines and I really cannot see why. If car magazines suddenly described the Ford F150 truck as the best handeling car they have driven I would be very suspcious but that is what is happening with Norton lately.

The only positive thing I have noticed is that the newer versions seems to be less intrusive and less resource hungry.

I am currently writing a guide to give to my customers about how to avoid spyware/viruses so when its completed I will give the back roomers free access to it, it might help quite a bit as prevention is the best anti virus measure you can ever have.
whilst Comodo is mostly known for its excellent firewall >>

as I should know as I think was the 2nd person to mention it on this forum [IIRC, Malteser being the 1st]! ;-)

BTW, free Comodo is much more than a free firewall and is similar to Norton Internet Security 2009, whereas Avast is AV only.

www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html
www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security

I shall investigate that program for my customers. I mainly recomended AVG but its really loosing its touch these days. It is getting bloaty it has a few annoyances such as the dreaded auto scanning.
... shall investigate that program for my customers ..

I think Malteser and I have posted this link before:
www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/resul...p

But it has been updated recently, to state.
www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/

2008-11-30: We have received a suggestion from Comodo Security Solutions, Inc., the vendor of Comodo Internet Security, on how to improve the configuration of their product in order to pass more tests. The suggested change included switching Comodo Internet Security configuration to "COMODO - Proactive Security", which can be done via the product's tray icon. Since our rules say that the tests are performed aginst the highest usable security configuration, we retested Comodo Internet Security 3.5.55810.432 and corrected its results. Its new score is 90%, which is much better score than previously published incorrect value of 84%. We apologize to Comodo and all our visitors for this mistake.

Edited by jbif on 06/01/2009 at 23:25

Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Dynamic Dave
Norton AV came pre-installed on my new HP laptop (with a 60 day free trial). First thing I did was un-install it and install AVG instead.
Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Stuartli
>>..BTW, free Comodo is much more than a free firewall >>

I meant by my comment that Comodo has products other than its firewall (including its Registry Cleaner, which I also have on my system)...:-)

Avast! is my AV utility.
Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - billy25
Due to an updating problem with AVG 7.5 abut 6 months ago, i converted to Avast4, (HJ site recommendation!) I didn't uninstall AVG, just disabled it starting up via spybot s/d tools. After about 3 months, i tried reverting to AVG, which had started fully updating again! ? so i continued using that AV for the last 3 months, once again (yesterday) AVG's updating probs have re-appeared, so i have swopped back to using Avast (all done simply by ticking relevant startup buttons in spybot), Have noticed however that both Av's seem to be just as good as each other, on my system at least, niether has missed anything that the other could detect. Think I will adopt the practice of using an AV rotation system permanently!.

Billy
Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Altea Ego
Oh I will have two engines in my car then, but only use one at a time. I wont care about hauling all that weight around......

;)
Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - Dynamic Dave
Due to an updating problem with AVG 7.5 abut 6 months ago

Version 8 is out now. In fact it's been out for a while. Could that be the problem - that AVG aren't supporting version 7 anymore?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/01/2009 at 18:54

Problem with Norton Internet Security 2009 - SpamCan61 {P}
I'm still using 7.5 on this 'ere laptop, due to giving up with 8.0. The automatic database update no longer works, but if I do a manual update check it does find and download new virus definitions.
The dreaded freezing problem - Rattle
I have a laptop which keeps freezing, nothing in the error logs, doing a RAM test now and s far its found nothing. No blue screens, it random freezing. I hate these sort of jobs as diagnoses can be really tricky, it does like once a week too which makes it much harder.

Suspects are:-
RAM
Hard drive - though should produce a blue screen
Rootkit
Faulty power supply which can be tricky to repair on a laptop :(

Any other ideas?
The dreaded freezing problem - Altea Ego
overheating video chip or cpu. My weeks wages says the fan/cooling ducting/heatsinks are covered in fur.

If its an IBM / Lenovo pick it up by one corner and hold it in the air. If it freezes it has a cracked motherboard

I would have thought that, but then if it was an overheating CPU usualy the built in protection stops you from turning on the laptop until it cools down dosn't it? I will see if I can get some accurate readings from the motherboards thermisers. Not sure what video chip it is but its a basic packard bell so I assume its just a cheap Intel intrigated one.
The dreaded freezing problem - Altea Ego
built in protection stops you from turning on the laptop until it cools down
its a basic packard bell so I

Packard Hell and built in protection do no compute.
The dreaded freezing problem - billy25
Freezing can be caused by overheating! ;-)
g/f's laptop used to do this, found she was blocking the air-intake with her leg when she had it on her knee, or was using it on a soft surface such as sofa cushion or bed!

Billy
I think you are right, 20 mins into the mem test the fans are going way hire but I can feel heat being exhausted out through the fans. Its one of the old Pentium D;s too which also ran hot. Only real cure is to remove heatsink, re-apply thermal paste and re-assmeble, I used to outsoruce this job and even then would not always cure the problem.

I think this is a job for the laptop repair specialists so I shall just tell her it is overheating and not charge her anything.

There is no ventaliation problem in this case, suspect its just cheap crappy built quality with lack of thermal paste on the processor and a bit of dust in the ducts atlhough again it looks clear. I will remove the back just in case there is any obvious blockage.

Actyually I will phone her up and ask her where she uses it! as it could well be on a bed or something.

Thanks guys.
Just phoned my client and it turns out she is using it on her bed, with a none mobile Pentium D inside there its no wonder!

Thanks guys you've saved me a bit of time.
The dreaded freezing problem - billy25
Qute a usefull diagnostic tool (once again recommended here!) can be downloaded free here.
Lavalays Everest home edition

majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

bit like system information, but tells you all you need to know about the computers internals etc, including, chip type, cpu temp tc etc.

Edited by billy25 on 07/01/2009 at 16:24

The dreaded freezing problem - Stuartli
I use Everest Home Edition and SIW as general system information gatherers, but for an on-screen permanent display of motherboard and CPU temperatures in the Taskbar it's the task of Motherboard Monitor:

majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Needs to be configured properly.

If the Bios allows, it's also worth configuring it to shut down the system if the CPU gets too hot; as I have an AMD Athlon XP I have it set at 70 degrees C, leaving a good safety margin between the maximum 85 degrees C the CPU is supposed to be able to reach before frying...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 07/01/2009 at 18:51

Vista - File sharing a subfolder of 'users' - VR6
I'm normally good with computers but this one has me stumped.

I have 2 users on my PC (Me and Mrs)

I want to share MY 'My Music' folder so that Mrs can access the music and sync her iphone on her log in.

Everytime I set 'my Music' as shared, the computer sets it as shared, but also sets it parent folder as shared too (i.e my 'user' folder) which I dont want.

Any ideas?
Vista - File sharing a subfolder of 'users' - rtj70
Why not update her profile to use the same folder for music? But do you also use iTunes or just her for managing the iPhone music library?
Vista - File sharing a subfolder of 'users' - jbif
Everytime I set 'my Music' as shared, the computer sets it as shared, but also sets it parent folder as shared too (i.e my 'user' folder) which I dont want. Any ideas? >>

Try this:
1. Right-click on the desired folder
2. Click on Properties (not Share..)
3. Select the Sharing tab
4. Click on the Advanced Sharing button (not the Share button)
5. Tick "Share this folder"
6. Click on the Permissions button and set the required permissions . Select the name of the person you want to share the folder with. To share it with everyone in the workgroup, click Everyone.

For iTunes, Apple has this advice for sharing music between users on the same computer: "Learn how different accounts on a single computer with iTunes can share music."
support.apple.com/kb/HT1203

Edited by jbif on 08/01/2009 at 00:04

Vista - File sharing a subfolder of 'users' - jbif
Try this: ..... .... etc. .... click Everyone. >>

Full illustrated details of above method at bottom half of this page [figure 6 onwards] :
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

Edited by jbif on 08/01/2009 at 00:15

Vista - File sharing a subfolder of 'users' - rtj70
Thanks jbif. What I would try to avoid though is using shares. For one Microsoft's implementation of a file share protocol (SMB) is very inefficient for small files. On the same PC it makes sense to access the music directly.