Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - NowWheels
A link somewhere else took me to www.gas4free.com ... and it looks to me like it's either a scam or an out-of-season April Fool's joke.

I am no scientist, but I thought that:

a) the electrolytic separation of water to hydrogen and oxygen required as much energy as was available through the subsequent combustion of the hydrogen

b) trying to create the two cycles in a machine or in an industrial process would require an ongoing input of energy from elsewhere, to compensate for inefficiencies in the system

and

c) this would be the case for any similar combustion/reversal cycle.

Is this correct?
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Chris S
A similar device was marketed in the 1950's called the H20 bomb - it didn't make any difference then and I can't see how it would now.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - teabelly
The method of electrolysis used with these systems is different and doesn't take as much energy as normal electrolysis. Basically you use a resonant frequency this means the molecules bust apart more easily. Kind of like the way that bridge in London wobbles when people walk on it. The continued input of energy can be gained via an alternator as in a conventional car. There are a few different ones that inject hydrogen so some petrol is still burnt and others where the car completely runs on hydrogen.

All an engine does is expand a gas. It could be compressed air or hydrogen and you can expand it by releasing it or setting it on fire. Just depends on how you want to do things.

Look up Stan Meyer. His electrolysis method is in the process of being patented.

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Hamsafar
Unfortunately most people who start to build impressive working models and publicise them end up like Robert Maxwell.

As teabelly says, the electrolysis appears to use some sort of ultrasonic Alternating current and hydrogen comes off both electrodes and this also stops ions from forming on one electrode. Maybe this would be a better area of study for our nation's Students rather than the 'modern' Media Studies, Leisure and Tourism, Sport, DJ'ing and Adult Entertainment etc...

Edited by Pugugly on 20/12/2008 at 11:32

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - ForumNeedsModerating
No idea. As always, best to ask the simple question first though: why isn't this standard technology on any current (or future AFAIK..) car? Why haven'y BMW/Honda etc. taken it up if it's such a simple & foolproof idea?
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Mapmaker
>>The method of electrolysis used with these systems is different and doesn't take as much energy as normal electrolysis.

That's right! Somebody has magically (for there is no other way) managed to contravene the first law of thermodynamics.

Marvellous! Everything we ever believed about the universe is not true!

Anybody want to invest some money with my pal Bernie Madoff?
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - madf
Madoff?

Who made 12% pa for ever?

I have a far better schem: it's called water power. Electroylis.. But far less energy.

I just need the odd £100,000 to finish off the design.
Cheques please to:
MAdf Towers
There's a sucker born road
Every minute town.

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Andy P
And we've never set foot on the moon, either....
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Hamsafar
And an end to boom and bust.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - FocusDriver
"And we've never set foot on the moon, either...."

Oh yes the Americans have. I used to be a disciple of the "fake moon landing" myself but unfortunately, looking at various documentaries, articles and polemics, it does seem that the conspiracy is based on false assumptions. Every "ah but" about the moon landing has been answered satisfactorily in my view (and I was keen to believe it was a hoax).

So, not a "fake moon landing" but certainly a "fake conspiracy that there was no moon landing".

As ever the conspiracy is more interesting than the event. That's why conspiracy theories promulgate. Imagine the number of people who'd need to be kept quiet and the vast sums available if one should choose to "reveal all".

In a similar vein, I also believed some of the 9/11 conspiracies too. But having researched that too, I came to a similar conclusion that these pathetic lies are peddled by self-appointed arbiters of reason who, oddly, don't seem able to string a sentence together on any other subject.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - teabelly
There's been a research group that made the news a few months ago using such a method to electrolyse some other material using the similar techniques so it isn't exactly bunkum. Was on bbc news about it.

I'd imagine major corporations would under no circumstances want people to have free and limitless sources of energy as they won't be able to profit from anything which is abundant. Keep people thinking there is a always a shortage of anything and they will pay through the nose for it. The oil producing nations would also lose their power if everyone switched to alternative energy and those in power want to maintain the status quo.

Newton has turned out to be wrong about gravity so why is it so hard to find out that some other laws we took to be set in stone could be incorrect?

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - FocusDriver
Agree teabelly, apart from the bit about BBC news. If ever BBC news provided me with the facts, rather than selected facts which happen to fit the BBC's agenda, I'd be the first to cite the BBC as a reliable news source. But it isn't. Heck, the BBC itself admitted as much at its "impartiality summit" in 2006.

It has admitted that it's too pro-Global warming, it's been fined twice for espousing false EU developments (positive of course), supported Obama quite unashamedly and sees Palestine as the "underdog" therefore "our reporting must reflect that". Cars, to the BBC staff, are anathema. Well I live just round the corner in White City don't you know.

Just compare a day's news on Reuters with that of the BBC. Consistent ommissions of facts.

They are not a reliable news source. They are an outlet for unexpurgated Labour government press realeases.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - FotheringtonThomas
No, it's not a hoax. It seems to me that it's a way to part gullible people from their money, so more like fraud IMO.

Oh, would it actually work? No.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
A very dangerous hoax.Electrolysis of acidified water , using AC current, would produce a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen at both electrodes (oxygen enriched). This mixture is extremely reactive, the combustion pressures are very high and detonation can occur. Unwanted underbonnet explosions and damaged engines seem likely IMHO ,as a certification engineer.
Oxygen enriched gas mixtures are so unpredictable, that the relevant safety standards do not allow for the use of any electrical equipment in such an atmosphere.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - JH
It's a perpetual motion machine, i.e. a con, impossible.

JH
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - bathtub tom
What if you run it with Slick 50 added? ;>)
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - jbif
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it?

Lots of previous threads on this forum.
Search message body for the terms: hydrogen water engine
Time Limit: try both < 1year, and > 1year

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Leif
Lots of previous threads on this forum.

There was one a year or so ago by someone who claimed to have converted his car to run on water and hence he saved a fortune. And there were references to online shops selling books at high prices explaining how to convert your car. Basically it is a scam, and the aim is to get you to buy a book that is full of nonsense. That Stanley bloke was a charlatan, and if you Google you should find out the truth.

If you split water into its constituents, that takes energy. When you recombine it, you cannot get back more energy. In fact you always get less due to inefficiencies in the process. You then have to convert that output energy into useful work i.e. propulsion. It is far more efficient to cut out the water carp and just feed petrol into an engine. The modern internal combustion engine is a marvel, despite the global warming issue.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
'Look up Stan Meyer. His electrolysis method is in the process of being patented.'

I looked this up and him being found guilty of fraud, lack of independent test evidence,breaching laws of themodynamics, and his death seem to discourage further progress towards a patent being granted.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Sofa Spud
I have read reports claiming that water, if subjected to extreme sudden heat and pressure shock, can explode violently. Supposedly the process is that the shock separates the hydrogen and oxygen which recombine explosively as soon as the 'shock' subsides. However, a vehicle engine would not be able to produce sufficient heat or pressure to cause such a reaction.

If this exploding water phenomenon is true, it could be an explanation for the Tunguska 'meteor' that exploded over Siberia in 1908. If it was a comet made mostly from ice, as suspected, and it hit the atmosphere at 90,000 kph, which is faster than most meteors etc. hit, the sudden heat and pressure shock could have caused the huge explosion that occurred.

There is a device called a cavitation heater that has a rotor that spins water centrifugally and heats it very rapidly and was originally publicised as a producing more energy than you put in. Anyway, these things are now a commecial product, out there and used in industry now. They can boil water in a few seconds.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Number_Cruncher
>>I have read reports claiming that water, if subjected to extreme sudden heat and pressure shock, can explode violently.

Was this in a peer reviewed journal? If so, where can we find the article?

>>was originally publicised as a producing more energy than you put in.

There can't be any truth in this. If a perpetual motion machine had been shown to work, it would have made the news coverage for the LHC pale into insignificance. It would be the news story of the century, as all the world's energy problems would have been solved.

It's fairly easy with cheap, nasty, broken, and duff instruments as used by many home based crackpots to kid yourself that you have made more energy than you've spent, but, when proper testing, using traceable, calibrated instruments is performed, the claims are always seen to be unfounded.

>>Anyway, these things are now a commecial product, out there and used in industry now. They can boil water in a few seconds.

Yes, anything with a large enough input power can boil water quickly. However, none of these machines will be violating any laws of thermodynamics while operating.

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - yorkiebar
I dropped some water on an exhaust manifold today. It turned into steam in front of my eyes in a fraction of a second. Amazing speed of boiling water!

Amazing; can I sell this idea on anywhere?
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - maz64
I dropped some water on an exhaust manifold today. It turned into steam in front
of my eyes in a fraction of a second. Amazing speed of boiling water!

As I understand it, a turbocharger uses what would otherwise be waste energy in the exhaust gasses to get more power from the engine, making it more efficient. Isn't it possible to get any more use out of the hot exhaust, or is the amount of left over energy just too small?
It can be done - Scania have been among the more active in finding use for the remaining energy in exhaust gas, using a fluid coupling to accomodate the large difference in speeds between the second turbine and the crank. See;

www.rotaryeng.net/Truck-TC.html

It can be done - Scania have been among the more active in finding use

Thanks NC, interesting. What's the typical efficiency of today's engines, and are there theoretical limits on how efficient they can become?
The most theoretical limit is given by the Carnot cycle.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_cycle

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_heat_engine

The Carnot cycle represents an unachievable ideal. However, the equation for the cycle efficiency,

eta= (T2-T1)/T2

where T2 is the hot reservoir temperaure, and T1, the cold, begins to point towards the idea that for a real engine, the more heat energy you extract during the expansion, the more efficient the engine - it is this larger expansion ratio (very closely linked to the compression ratio) that makes a diesel very efficient - extracting further energy from the exhaust is better still.

The most theoretical limit is given by the Carnot cycle.

Again interesting, but a bit beyond me. I was hoping for a rough idea of % efficiency from fuel energy to energy at the wheel. Googling found:

jagadees.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/ic-engine-effici.../

which mentions 15% or 20%. This seems quite low on the face of it to someone like myself who doesn't understand all the physics and/or chemistry behind it, but how far off the theoretical maximum are these?
To take an extreme case of the hot temperature being the melting point of Aluminium, and the cool temperature to be close to ambient; (Temperatures in Kelvin)
(930-300)/930

ans =

So, the very best that is still beyond actual possibility is about 65%.

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - nortones2
I soon gave up on the Carnot cycle equations! One question, NC. Is it not the difference in gas temperature that delimits the heat cycle? Thus, say 1922K as "TH", minus the coolest "reservoir" temperature, TC. Whatever that is.
One way to see that subtracting Tc from Th doesn't lead to a measure of efficiency is to consider the untis - it's still a temperature.

The work done in the Carnot cycle is proportional to the difference between Th and Tc, while the heat energy supplied is proportional to Th.

Thankfully, the constant of proportionality is the same (the entropy difference) for both the work done, and heat supplied.

So, as efficiency is defined as the Work done divided by the energy supplied, you end up with

eta = (Th - Tc) / Th

This is non-dimensional, and so passes the first sanity check.

I know I'm riding roughshod over a lot of the finer details of thermodynamics by relating real engine cycles of operation to the Carnot cycle, but, it's not a bad starting point.
Yes, I see what you mean. Its a sort of permanent boundary on the energy that can be extracted. I think:)
I think:)

Yes!, The Carnot Cycle is as good as it could ever get, it assumes no heat lost to the surroundings, no friction, no losses, etc. It's an entirely ficticious cycle which could never be realised, but, even this ideal cycle predicts efficiencies far below 100% for reasonable temperature differences.
Thanks NC. A real fount of knowledge, and interesting material!
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - MrWednesday
I think the only real use of water as a fuel will involve large stone discs, lots of wooden cogs, and a big wooden wheel with a stream nearby.

In fairness tho', the hydrogen fuel cell on TG the other week looks promising, well, the hydrogen can be sourced from removed water.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Mapmaker
>>I think the only real use of water as a fuel will involve large stone discs, lots of wooden cogs,

Disagree very strongly. I think we shall eventually manage to take heavy water and generate energy that will be used to create hydrogen that will power our cars. Just like NW's link... sort of.

But it will be physics, not chemistry...
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - bathtub tom
I think it was the Aussies who cracked this years ago.

They attached a billy to the rear bumper so the exhaust 'cooked' the contents.

Goat stew anyone?

Edited by bathtub tom on 21/12/2008 at 23:15

Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - Kiwi Gary
Thanx for the comments on turbocompounding NC. I didn't know that they had got the small turbos sufficiently efficient. The big cathedral diesels in ships have been taking the excess turbo power for some years, and using it either back-fed into the engine, or to drive a generator. That gets the overall installation thermal efficiency up to 51-and-a bit- %.
Water as fuel - hoax, isn't it? - moonshine {P}

This has been discussed many times before, here's a quick summary of my thoughts:

The electrolysis process used to create the HHO could be more efficient, but you will only ever get out what you put in (minus some for inefficiency) in terms of energy.

The idea that the hydrogen gas is used to gain a more complete burn has some merit. I.e you do not gain additional energy, just make better use of the available fuel - increase efficiency. Maybe, but modern engines don't spit that much un-burnt fuel out.

While an engine could run on HHO you are never going to be able to get one to run on HHO generated by the engine itself - perpetual motion machine.

My conclusion - it's a scam and like all good scams it's based on some real/fake science to make it sound credible.