2008 1.4T 98 Ron Petrol - Chris79
Hello Folks,

I've just been reading a motoring magazine in which it suggested that VW/Audi FSI/TFSI engines should be run on high octane fuel. It claims that using regular unleaded will cause running or starting problems. Anyone got any ideas on this. I always thought it was only high performance cars that benefited from this?.

2008 1.4T 98 Ron Petrol - Screwloose

Not only should - MUST. Using regular unleaded will result in a £4,600 bill for a new engine, almost the moment it's out of warranty; read the handbook "recommendation."

The starting problems arise from a lack of cold compression, mainly due to the top of the piston going missing.
Thanks screwloose for that.

Have just been reading the handbook which states that at least 95 ron petrol must be used. I called my local audi dealer who said 90% of customers drive round on 95 ron, however he uses the 98 ron as it is beneficial to the injectors.

I would have thought the dealers would tell people this when they pick there cars up?.

Just goes to show you should read the handbook i guess!!.

2008 1.4T 98 Ron Petrol - jc2
It is a legal requirement that all modern engines must be able to run on 95 octane;a few engines will give improved performance on 98/100 but they must be able to be run on 95.
2008 1.4T 98 Ron Petrol - Screwloose
Chris

They are being very mealy-mouthed about it in the handbook and your dealer [suit?] was talking rubbish; [they've been covering this problem up for years.]

The RON number of the fuel only refers to it's knock resistance - nothing whatsoever to do with injectors - but a good way to tell you to use 98 without revealing the truth.

Like the over-stressed 1.4 100PS before it; on 95RON the FSi suffers from high-rev detonation under certain load conditions. Like cavitation on ship's propellors, this erodes the top of the pistons away - I've seen one that was nearly conical.

VAG simply built their engine too close to the knock-limit and normal UK fuel doesn't suit them. Yes; they CAN run on it - but only until about 60,000 miles, when the starting problems appear.

No direct-injection petrol engine has been a success since Mercedes dropped theirs. VAG were incredibly stupid not to see the catalogue of disaster that all other manufacturers had suffered with them and avoid it like the plague - unfortunately, they knew better....

So to HPI, IDE, SCi, GDi, etc. you can now add FSi. One to avoid.
After posting this question on here I have been using the Super unleaded. I have not done any particularly accurate fuel consumption tests - but there is a noticable rise in fuel economy when running on the higher rated fuel, if i had to put a figure on it i would say about an extra 50 miles per tank. thus the extra cost is offset by this, and hopefully i'll still have an engine after 3 years!.