Reclaiming Contaminated Friction Linings - GP
I have a car that I have discovered has a front friction lining contaminated with grease from the hub-bearing. Having rectified the leak, I'm wondering if it's possible to reclaim the contaminated lining, which is practically unworn. Before you throw your arms up in horror, the car is 73 years old, covers about 250 miles per year, has a top-speed of 35 mph and was braking pretty well before the discovery anyway. I'm sure I read somewhere that it is possible to boil a shoe in water to remove the oil/grease, and that this wasn't uncommon practice years ago as the leather/felt hub-seal were not completely reliable.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reclaiming Contaminated Friction Linings - Dizzy {P}
Perhaps I shouldn't mention this, but in my early motoring days I often used to reclaim friction linings by soaking them with paint thinner and then scrubbing and allowing to dry. I have even been known to burn off the thinner with a blow-torch but this is definitely NOT recommended!

I never thought about boiling them to get the oil/grease out but I see no reason why this wouldn't work. I assume we are talking about asbestos linings?

I'd love to know what the car is.
Reclaiming Contaminated Friction Linings - Phil I
I can recall a standard practice with Midland Red Omnibus drivers faced with slipping clutch on the ascent of Mucklows Hill on way to Birmingham used to leap out with Fire Extinguisher and spray Clutch plate with C.T.C. fluid. Seemed quite effective but C.T.C. now not allowed in fire extinguishers due to toxic fumes generated so this piece of useless information of absolutely no use to GP :-((
Probably one of our chemical brothers will be able to suggest a suitable alternative.

Happy motoring Phil I
Dear Dizzy,

Cellulose thinners seems to have done the trick. I'll keep an eye on the linings just to be sure. The linings are asbestos with the brass 'hairs' in the mixture.

The car is a 1929 Hillman 14 Safety Saloon. It even has a vacuum assisted braking system - quite advanced for it's day. This was back in the days when Hillman was considered quite a prestigious brand, which was later all changed by WW2.

Many thanks,

GP.
Reclaiming Contaminated Friction Linings - Cyd
Though it's frowned upon these days (and brake pads are not really that expensive) my Grandfather first told me about boiling the pads to get rid of any contamination. Given the nature of your vehicle I'd give it a go.
Reclaiming Contaminated Friction Linings - jc
Boil them for 30 minutes in Aerial,Tide or whatever.
I'm pleased to hear I wasn't imagining what I'd heard about boiling the linings. I think I read it in an old classics magazine or similar. I'll bear in mind for future reference. Hopefully, the repaired felt seal will hold.

Many thanks,

GP.
Reclaiming Contaminated Friction Linings - John S
Just to confirm the other postings, when I was a lad I'm sure one of the standard techniques for this problem was a good boil in detergent for the affected components.

Regards

John S