If only this was my local garage... - paulb {P}
...I'd be laughing:

http:// tinyurl.com/5pd4zz

Fair play to the guy in the Skoda. It seems the spoilsports noticed after 11 minutes, though.

So much for Teutonic efficiency :-)

{link made non clickable due to some of the other content on the website it links to - copy/paste into your usual url web browser.}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2008 at 10:32

If only this was my local garage... - andyfr
Translation?
If only this was my local garage... - mfarrow
Translation?

My poor German is telling me a garage data input mix-up meant this guy was able to buy diesel at 13,2 cents per litre, meaning he paid just ?5 for a fill-up.
If only this was my local garage... - NowWheels
If a data input error had had led to him being charged more, I'm sure he'd have complained loudly and at length. It's a pity some people are so ready to exploit an error when it benefits them.

What a sad world we live in. :(

Edited by Pugugly on 09/11/2008 at 22:02

If only this was my local garage... - Pugugly
Indeed. I got told off by my wife's colleague when she saw me return a tenner to a shop assistant when I was given change from a 20 pound note instead of a tenner the other week.
If only this was my local garage... - NowWheels
Last time I handed back excess change which I had been given in error, the shopkeeper looked stunned. I guess it doesn't happen often :(
If only this was my local garage... - Lud
handed back excess change which I had been given in error,

I did it twice in the same day last week at my (now Tamil-run) nearest newsagent cum convenience store. They eyed me a bit narrowly the second time. I may get a reputation as a troublemaker if I carry on doing it. But they work so hard. Best prices in the knot of shops down the road too.
If only this was my local garage... - Bolt-on
Handing the money back saves some very awkward questions for the employee/s in question come closing time. Could potentially cause a job loss so well done all you people with altruistic thoughts!
If only this was my local garage... - dxp55
Bolt on

With you all the way.
If only this was my local garage... - Westpig
last year when filling up with fuel, the only person in there, at Gretna Green services at 0400 hours one morning...when I went to pay the attendant was a bit stressed because then car previous to me had filled up and driven off without paying

as part of the conversation with him, he mentioned he was hoping he wouldn't get it docked out of his pay

this had my wife and I discussing for the next 50 miles the absurdity and lack of fair play of employing someone, on no doubt minimum wage at 0400 in a petrol statiion, then docking their wages when someone steals petrol, despite the fact the fuel station owner hasn't implemented a more secure system for payment

can anyone out there in the real world confirm that would/might happen...or was he spinning me a yarn
If only this was my local garage... - ifithelps
...can anyone out there in the real world confirm that would/might happen..

WP,

Have heard much the same, but can't confirm it.

I think if the till doesn't balance after a shift, it's fairly common for the filling station owner to deduct the shortfall from the operator's wages.

Bilking is a slightly different matter.

Get a couple of those in a night and the hapless employee would leave work owing the owner money.
If only this was my local garage... - paulb {P}
Translation?

I assumed that the words "liter" and "euro" would be self-explanatory - evidently not. Apologies.