Driving and phones ... - Ian (Cape Town)
Had a call today in my office, and the bloke was driving along while chatting, burbling along 19-to-the-dozen...
I was getting pretty bored with the conversation, and trying to think of an excuse to get him off the line, when I heard the "woowooo" of a police siren over the line.
"Oh S***, I've got to go," he said...
Later he phoned me back - plod had nailed him R300 (ie 75 litres of fuel) for the offence...
Driving and phones ... - Tomo
We've had this and that free days. A 'phone-free day would be cracking!

Tomo
Driving and phones ... - J Bonington Jagworth
I wish the police here would nail a few phone-users. I had one in an old XJ6 pull out under my nose last night, phone clamped to ear, no awareness of cars around, especially me! It made me wish for a horn that sounded like screeching tyres and a loud impact...
Driving and phones ... - Stargazer {P}
A quick visual survey while walking through the centre of town today showed approx 20% of drivers using a handheld phone while driving in stop start rush hour traffic (lots of junctions and traffic lights)

Apart from the distraction aspect..they cant all be driving automatic transmission cars!

Quite scary...I saw one car wander through a red light while driver was engrossed in a conversation.

One of my pet hates having had to take avoiding action too often.

Ian L.
Driving and phones ... - Ian (Cape Town)
>Apart from the distraction aspect..they cant all be driving automatic transmission cars!

Mine is a two-pedaller, I have a STICK-IT-IN-THE-EAR handsfree kit, yet I still hate taking calls when driving.
(Smug)
Driving and phones ... - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I hate seeing other drivers on mobiles (esp on the bike) *but* if mine goes off on the move I always pick it up and I don't bother fiddling with the hands free kit...

Don't know what conclusion to draw from this but I suspect we all do it from time to time.

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Driving and phones ... - wemyss
I never answer the phone on the move. Its taking one big chance thats not worth it. Involved in an accident and the Police quite rightly would check if your mobile was in use at that precise time.
And of course this would be blamed as the cause of the accident even if it had nothing to do with it.
No missed call can be worth that possibility.
alvin
Driving and phones ... - JohnnyBoy
On my way home I stop at a T-junction with traffic lights....about 1 in every 3 cars contains an idiot with one hand clasping the phone to their ear, the other on the wheel trying to make a 90 degree turn in first gear as they haven't been able to change up into 2nd as their left hand is holding the phone - only a matter of time before my offside front wing gets hit.

And while I'm enjoying a good moan...one of the main [two-lane] roads into Belfast has its inside lane continually clogged with parked cars, slowing the traffic to a virtual halt as drivers have to pull in & out of this lane to avoid these parked cars. [the owners of these cars stop there to visit the sandwich bar at the roadside, despite there being a free car park behind the shop]
A £750 fine for vehicles parked there would deter most illegal parkers, speed up the traffic, and add a few shekels to The Treasury.