1996 1.4 (8v) Cutting out (again) - Mike H
Further to my previous post in August - see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=65...5 - it's happened again. After the August post, it had a new CPS despite no fults showing, and the garage could find nothing wrong as it was running OK when it went to them.

The most recent breakdown earlier this week had slightly different symptoms, in that it started to lose power necessitating changing down to keep her going before finally cutting out. Once again, after recovery, it ran perfectly from cold and when warm. It's a perfectly good car, but if it won't run reliably it will have to go. I'm probably going to try a diagnostic at a Renault dealer, but if that doesn't fix it.....

I'm also wondering whether the increasing frequency of failure is a clue. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's cold, warm or hot.

Any new ideas?

Just been browsing around the back room and found this thread - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=63...5 which relates to a problem with a Golf. Seems to me this could apply to the Megane if it has a coil- does anyone know offhand whether the Megane has a coil (car is 200 miles away so can't check!).
Just an update in case it helps anyone else. Having discovered that the Megane, which is 1996 N-reg does indeed have a coil, I fitted a new one....eventually.

I bought a new one in GSF. When I went to fit it, I discovered that the fittings were different to those on the old one - the new one had plain brass LT posts, the old one had nuts attaching them to spade connectors on the ignition discharge module - this is the plate/box attached to the bulkhead that holds the coil. Thus it wouldn't fit. GSF didn't list another part number. Renault only sell a complete discharge unit/coil. I eventually bought a discharge unit from ebay from someone who was breaking a Megane - also a 1996 N-reg - which had the appropriate fitting for the new coil. On closer examination, the two discharge units had identical Renault part numbers which is very naughty as they aren't interchangeable - although as Renault themselves only sell the complete discharge unit/coil I guess it's academic - until you need a new coil!!

The insulation in the body of the old coil had started to go clear around the top, by the terminals. Whether this is any indication of failure I don't know, but the new one was solid black. Touch wood, the car has been fine since I fitted it, and idles far more evenly so I'm hopeful that it's sorted.