1995 1.4 Engine cuts out after a few miles - Tynsimdde
I have a Golf CL petrol single injection. It is sometimes very difficult to start and on other occasions starts straight away and runs very smooth and responds to throttle control. If I take it for a run it is perfect for a few miles and then just cut out and just will not restart, it can be left for a few hours and then still refuses to start, I then have tow it back home and if I try to start it 9 times out of ten it starts immediately, I have changed the spark plugs and leads, can anybody help me.
1995 1.4 Engine cuts out after a few miles - Screwloose

When it won't start; are you losing spark, fuel or both? What's the engine code?

Feed relays and ignition switches are both common causes of this on MkIII Golfs.
When the engine wont start there is a spark present I can hear the fuel pump run when I switch the ignition on.
The engine output is 44KW Kat 4G and the code is ABD. Maqny thanks for your help so far

So although you have the pump running and a spark, [how was that tested?] it still won't fire? Is the injector spraying fuel?

How does it cut out; travelling at speed, or when coming to rest, or...? Could it be over-fuelling?
I have by now changed the fuel filter and gave it another run and it cut out after 3 miles, but this time it attempted to start again but was starved of fuel. I took a plug out and their was a spark present it seems to be fuel starvation. I cracked open the fuel inlet pipe at the carbureter and there was a pressure of fuel present, the return pipe had no fuel present. When it cut out it was lack of fuel.
1995 1.4 Engine cuts out after a few miles - Multi-VW owner
Hello from Canada!

Had exactly these same symptoms on a 1997 Golf CL single-point injection a couple of years ago. Turns out it was the coil. The car would start fine, run fine, then just quit. Wait an hour or so - presumably for the coil to cool down - and it would fire right up again. Totally random. This was in winter, but that may not have been related. The tricky thing was that when the car was cold or in the shop, the coil would test fine. After running it for a while before it died, a local VW dealership did the old water-spray test and it lit up like Guy Fawkes Day, sparks flying all over the place. The coils cost a billion dollars new so I put in a used one for one fifth the price, and it's been fine since. Of course, VW being VW, they assume that the perfect German Bosch part would never need replacing, so the coil is held on to the firewall WITHOUT captive nuts. Hence, getting the old thing off is a real treat. "Clink" goes the nut down into the air intake plenum...

Now if someone could tell me why the car is now running poorly - hesitating, no power up hills, starts and idles fine but very hesitant, I might get another six months out of the beast until the rusties carry it away for good. Ignition switch and usual tune-up items all done. Fuel filter(s) maybe? Fuel pump? Does this thing have a hot wire injection sensor that needs cleaning?

Thanks!

Jim
Jim

Engine size and engine code?
1995 1.4 Engine cuts out after a few miles - Multi-VW owner
Mine's a 1.8 litre. I understand this was a Canada-only entry-level model brought in without OBD II, in return for VW manufacturing a certain number of alloy wheels in a local plant. By "code" do you mean the engine code? Can you tell me where I'd find that? About all I know is that it's an eight-valve OHC petrol.

J.

1995 1.4 Engine cuts out after a few miles - Javalin
Screwloose has recently answered that question to me - so...

Engine code should be on cambelt cover, in service manual or on label in boot somewhere....

Its not what you know but who you know

James