Advice re car tax - patchesmcp
Hi, I would welcome any advice on my dilema concerning my car tax.

Unfortunately, I never received my car tax reminder and consequently didn't realise that my car was not taxed (yes, I know it sounds pathetic, but it is true). Having discovered this last night, I have had it taxed today. Unfortunately, I have missed one months car tax and consequently owe back duty to DVLA.

Whilst I have no problem paying the back duty I don't really want to put myself in the firing line of being prosecuted re this. So here is the debate, do I ring them and try and pay the backduty, but by doing so will they not just prosecute/fine me anyway (even though it was a geniune, albeit stupid mistake) or do I just keep quiet?

If I could be sure they would simply ask for the backduty i would do it, but I could really do without being fined/prosecuted.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Advice re car tax - Dwight Van Driver
No reminder so presumably you used VC10 Form to renew?

If so were you truthful in relation to section 3. (a)Date licence ended and (b)date when new one was to start. If you were truthful then there should be a gap between the two and DVLA if they want to push it can claim back duty as presumably no SORN then vehicle has been used on the road during the missing month.

If you were not truthful then offence to make a false statement to obtain an Excise Licence which is a a recordable crime and could lead to imprisonment.

I cannot bring up the form for taxing on line which I presume carries similar questions.

dvd
Advice re car tax - Mike H
Phone DVLA and tell them, I had the same problem. For some obscure reason there is some sort of glitch in their system (I can't remember the details) regarding early renewal of your tax LAST YEAR, and this causes a failure to generate a renewal for THIS YEAR. I just rang them, explained, and paid the missed month. They will tell you how much to pay and how to pay it.

HTH