BMW floppy wipers - jimf1912
Can anyone give me advice? I am on the second set of BMW wiper blades for an E92 coupe, and I replaced the first set after 12,000 miles.

The windscreen appears to be permanently marked, right across the driver's field of vision, probably following a piece of grit caught on the blade. Thing is, if I use glass cleaner and polish hard, the marks virtually disappear, but then re-appear when the wipers are used.

Now a second mark has appeared, further up on the driver's wiper, this one looks to be just a nick out of the blade edge, but for the life of me I can't see it on the blade!

Anyone have any advice?
BMW floppy wipers - Blue {P}
To be honest, 12,000 miles sounds about right for a change, I've never got more than a year out of wipers on any of my cars.

As for the marks, you can try cleaning the screen off and then using a claybar on the screen (normally used to pick up fallout off the car's paintwork) this should remove anything stuck to the screen. You need to use plenty of water to lubricate the glass (leave the hose running) and when you've finished you may need to clean the screen down with Tar Remover to get rid of any traces of clay that may have invisibly stuck to the glass as these leave smearing worse than you can imagine. A final polish is also a good idea. I went through this routine with my routine (except I didn't know that using Tar Remover was a good idea!) and it made the wiper action a lot smoother.

Whilst this process should ensure that there's nothing in the surface of the glass to cause marks, if it still comes back you will just need to look very closely at the glass as if the mark is being caused by damage to the glass then nothing you do can fix it!

BMW floppy wipers - jimf1912
Thanks for that Blue, I'll give that a go. Just strikes me that these wipers, whilst very effective, seem to be susceptible to this scoring.

Wondered if anyone else had experienced this, or was I just unlucky?
BMW floppy wipers - L'escargot
What are "floppy" wipers, i.e. how do they differ from ordinary wipers?
BMW floppy wipers - Alby Back
The wiper blades on my old car have been on for over three years and well over 100k miles. Still work perfectly. Previous car was similar.

I always keep plenty of screen wash fliud in the reservoir and never switch the wipers on without a good scoosh of the washers first. In continual rain I squirt the washers every 15 minutes or so.

When washing the car I always take care to remove bugs and so on from the glass and give the underside of the wiper blades a wipe down.

Avoid getting any wax or other polish based products on swept areas of the screen.

I think the screen wash stuff has lubricants in it.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 04/09/2008 at 09:08