Leaking Radiator - Phil I
My 94 1.4 Metro CVT 5dr. has sprung a leak in the radiator. Fortunately its not like my old 2.1/2L V8 which did same thing but had the oil cooler as an integral part of the main radiator and cost me an arm + leg to mend.
Any recommends pro- con on new v. reconditioned/rebuilt.
Thanks in advance any comment.

Bfn Phil I
Leaking Radiator - jc
Either go straight to Serck or via Halfords.
Leaking Radiator - Dynamic Dave
Depending on the size of the leak, have you considered Radweld? Got to be worth spending less than £5 if it can save you an arm and a leg!!
Leaking Radiator - Cyd
Not far from me (in Coventry) there's a small workshop that rebuilds rads. I've had several from them for various cars (not all mine) and they've all been fine and considerably cheaper than a new one from the mainstream suppliers. You might be able to find such a place near you - look in the Yellow Pages under Radiators - Motor.

If it's just a small leak, try drying the area and bunging body filler over it. It's a bodge, but depending on how good the rad is overall it may last quite a long time.
Leaking Radiator - Tony Bee
I endorse that. I very carefully cleaned up a patch of radiator where the leak was with a toothbrush and washing up liquid and slapped a palmful of Davids Isopon into the radiator fins (from both sides so they met in the middle) and it was a perfect cure for 5 years --maybe longer--I sold the car.
(Is Isopon still going strong ?)
Leaking Radiator - jc
Exchange radiator should be about £40 from Halfords and that's effectively a new radiator with 12 months guarantee.
Thanks to all for the comment and advice all gratefully received.
The leak still with me as it only leaks when I stop. I'm assuming that as the radiator heats up the crack is closing with the expansion of metals. Will see what sort of deal I can get with exchange radiator locally and dependant on price possibly use one of the bodges suggested. Have had some success on non-motoring repairs using Unibond Chemical Metal which when cured can be drilled and tapped and has good adhesion and tensile strength.

Bfn Phil I
Leaking Radiator - John S
Phil

If the rad didn't suffer stone damage, but simply sprung a leak, it's probably past it. Given the likely cost of a Metro rad, I wouldn't bodge it other than to get you to the shop to buy one. Before long you'll have to replace it anyway and compared to being stuck on the hard shoulder it will seem cheap.

Regards

John S
Have gut feeling you are right on the button there John S. Have always liked my breakdowns right in my own garage which I consider the really best place to have them. BtB Worst I can recall was in a pool motor (Opel Manta) one cold wintry, snowy, rainy, gale force windy day shortly after the M40 opened. Left Birmingham 05.30 to go to creditors meeting in London, broke down (motor stopped dead - no obvious ignition fault) walked what seemed like 2miles to phone only to find not yet connected to system. Walked back to car. Decided to climb embankment to find phone book (some chance there only building in sight was shuttered pub with no sign of life at all.) Back to car to thumb ride to somewhere (anywhere except where I was would do) and kindly Shell Tanker Man went past and screamed to standstill 2/300yds up the hard shoulder dropped me off at Garage in High Wycombe. Took further 2hours to organise collection of Manta.
Went back to Brum on train from High Wycombe spent next 3 days in warm bed with hot woman.

Happy Days Long gone thank goodness,

Phil I .