95 1.9 Volcane TD Rear axle assembly - jc26
Hi

My ZX Volcane TD has just failed its MOT quite badly :( one of the reasons is worn bushes and pins etc causing knocks on the rear axle. I have been told a replacement rear axle assembly is the best course of action but before I go ahead with the work I need to know 2 things -

Is the rear axle assembly on the Volcane the same as all the other ZX axles?
If so if I'm buying one from a scrap merchant how much should I be paying?

Thanks
J

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/07/2008 at 16:51

95 1.9 Volcane TD Rear axle assembly - jc2
Anything you buy at a scrappie is likely to be not much better than the one on your car.
95 1.9 Volcane TD Rear axle assembly - Lud
Get a decent independent mechanic to look at it with a view to replacing the bushes (and pins if necessary). I don't know the suspension in question but imagine that it is fairly simple, front wheel drive meaning that all it has to do is carry the back end of the vehicle in a decorous and controllable manner. Only if the axle beam or trailing arms are severely corroded will a new assembly be needed.

I remember though that corroded torsion bars, if present, are an utter nightmare.

Edited by Lud on 13/07/2008 at 18:54

95 1.9 Volcane TD Rear axle assembly - thomp1983
no need to replace the axle. there are four bushes that hold the axle in place from above, very common wear item on these and 306's. the bushes themselves are about £40 from buypartsby.com they can be changed with the axle in situ easy enough.

chris
95 1.9 Volcane TD Rear axle assembly - RichardW
There are 2 problems with the rear axles on these:

1. The bushes, as Chris noted, which are easy to change; and
2. The trailing arm bearings, which are an absolute 'mare to change.

I suspect since you mention 'pin' then the arm bearings are gone, and yes, you are right, a replacement subframe is the way to go. Trouble is, the Volcane is lower and stiffer than lesser ZXs, and probably has disc brakes (with ABS?) so you will need a model specific subframe, which might be tricky to source - although a 306 XSi unit might be the same. There is a company down South somewhere (SP engineering or something) which can supply refurbed subframes - but they're not cheap....
95 1.9 Volcane TD Rear axle assembly - L'escargot
it is fairly simple front wheel drive meaning that all it has to do is
carry the back end of the vehicle in a decorous and controllable manner.

The ZX has passive rear wheel steering.

"The ZX has passive rear wheel steering."

True, but that's achieved only by the aforementioned rubber mounts.

95 1.9 Volcane TD Rear axle assembly - thomp1983
the exact wording off the mot sheet would be helpful here.

chris
Hi all

Thanks for all the advice and info. I'm still in the middle of deciding what I'm going to do about the car.

The wording off the MOT sheet is 'Nearside Rear radius arm has excessive play in a pin/bearing'.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
J
"Nearside Rear radius arm has excessive play in a pin/bearing"

That'll be the aforementioned nightmare bearing. New subframe time....

Thanks for all the help and advice given, I have now decided to get rid of the car as I don't have the time and space to fix it up.

Thanks again
J