93 1.9TD Over cooling - tonymuso
Hi guys
The temperature gauge on my ZX TD has been running slightly cool recently, around 80 - 85C instead of the 90 - 100C I believe is normal. As it was overdue, I renewed the coolant, and the thermostat (which I suspected might be the cause). I let the car idle for around 20-30 mins, sometimes running it up to 2000rpm. The gauge barely got up to 90C before slowly dropping down to 80 - 85C without the fans cutting in. I couldn't get the temperature gauge to go over 90C and the fans haven't cut in since. Normal operating temperature is still 80-85C. I'm more curious than worried as I'd rather have over cooling than over heating, but has anyone got any ideas on this one? Should I just have run it on a faster idle for longer to check the fans would work?
cheers in advance
Tony
93 1.9TD Over cooling - RichardW
80 is the normal running temp for a ZX TD. Should go up to around 90 / 95 before the fans cut in. It can be difficult to get the fans to cut in on an idling diesel - take it for good hard run then let it idle, and the temp should come up and the fans cut in.
thanks alot for this Richard. Much appreciated
93 1.9TD Over cooling - piston power
Usually there is 2 thermostats you can fit a summer one and a winter one, the summer opens at a lower temp and the winter at a higher temp.

Id rather have the summer stat if the fans work don't worry.
93 1.9TD Over cooling - mfarrow
Was the temp. stated on the new one the same as the old one? Factors' charts aren't always accurate - best to go to the manufacturer if you're not sure.
thanks big tee & mfarrow. The new thermostat states it opens at 83C, couldn't decipher any figures on the old one!
cheers
93 1.9TD Over cooling - telecaster
I have the same story on my zx 1.9 n/a diesel.....temp never goes beyond 70/75....
93 1.9TD Over cooling - jc2
Don't believe the figures implicitly-the gauges are not that good-there is a lot to be said for the BLUE-WHITE-RED type of gauge.