Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - L'escargot
When overtaking on a single carriageway road are you allowed to temporarily exceed the speed limit to expedite the manoeuvre? And do you ever do this?
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - GroovyMucker
I think the "correct" answer would be, if you can't do it safely at a legal speed, you shouldn't do it.

Things may be different in the real world.

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - nick
They are. The quicker you get past the other car, the safer it is. The most dangerous place is the other side of the road.

Edited by nick on 03/07/2008 at 08:54

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Andy P
The answer is no - the speed limit applies no matter what side of the road you're on. But, you're not likely to overtake someone in that manner if there's a police car around....
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - movilogo
No, you still need to be within speed limit.

However, if you are sure that road has no speed camera, no police car can be seen around, and you feel it is safe to overtake by exceeding speed limit, probably there should not be any problem.

But before doing anything, ask yourself, is it worth taking the risk?
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Dipstick
In the eighties there were occasions where I used to overtake police cars travelling at sub 60 by exceeding 60 on A roads and got the inevitable "cheery wave" that all such anecdotes must contain.

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - SteVee
Yes - I've overtaken police cars and temporarily exceeded the speed limit without being pulled. Although I was on a bike, I'm sure they could have stopped me if they wanted to.

I agree with the answer from GroovyMucker: it's illegal.
I would disagree with nick's 'the quicker, the safer': I can hit triple figure speeds easily on the bike - that's probably 50-60 MPH faster than traffic I'm overtaking, that's probably too fast.
Observation is the key - keep a very good look out and make sure you have multiple options.

Overtaking is dangerous because so few drivers (and riders) are given *any* instruction on it.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Mapmaker
It is indeed illegal. IIRC somewhere on the continent close to the UK it is permissable to exceed the speed limit by a specified amount when overtaking.

EDITED TO ADD my complete incomprehension of OP's post. What do you think a speed limit is? A recommendation, or a limit with the force of law. Utterly, utterly, utterly bemused. What planet...???

I never cease to be amazed by the complete ignorance of some of the most basic parts of the law exhibited by some posters on here. People who presumably are interested in cars/driving, hence posting here. People who have been driving for many years. And yet... and yet... they don't know the meaning of speed LIMIT.

Edited by Mapmaker on 03/07/2008 at 12:34

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - BazzaBear {P}
That seems a little unneccesary.

How does this:
"What do you think a speed limit is? A recommendation, or a limit with the force of law. Utterly, utterly, utterly bemused. What planet...???"

Fit with this:
"IIRC somewhere on the continent close to the UK it is permissable to exceed the speed limit by a specified amount when overtaking."

Why is it impossible to conceive that the latter might exist in the UK, and the OP might not know about it? He only asked the question.

For myself, yes I believe it to be illegal. No I would not stop accelerating midway through an overtaking manoevre to ensure I did not exceed the limit - that would be ridiculous.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Bilboman
In Spain there is a provision in the Highway code to allow a car driver or motorcyclist to exceed the (100 kph/62 mph) limit of a single carriageway road by 20% in order to overtake safely. This is especially necessary on the many short stretches of broken white line, especially in mountainous areas. Crossing a solid white line by as little as a metre is considered a very serious offence by traffic police (Spain still has them!)
Two further common sense rules are:
(1)the vehicle being overtaken must maintain or slightly reduce speed (i.e. must not do anything to hinder the overtaking) and stay as far as possible to the nearside lane marking whilst being overtaken (until quite recently it was also common to use the nearside indicator to indicate "submission" to being overtaken.)
(2) it is advisable for the overtaking vehicle to warn of its intention by several short flashes and/or toots of the horn. As in France, toots or flashes mean, as they should in the UK, "I am here!"
(2) it is advisable for the overtaking vehicle to warn of its intention by several
short flashes and/or toots of the horn. As in France toots or flashes mean as
they should in the UK "I am here!"

Brilliant. Could you imagine tooting and flashing your lights before overtaking in this country? I'd give you 10 miles before someone started chasing you down with murder in their eyes!
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Whisky
I pay no attention to what speed I am doing during an overtake, I keep my eyes on the road and my foot on the boards. Although in my car you need a decent run up to really exceed the limit.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - maz64
I think there have been discussions here before about the motorist being overtaken speeding up, and if the cars behind close the gap you have just vacated, perhaps breaking the speed limit to complete the manoevre is the safest option.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Bilboman
In response to BazzaBear: I know this too well, and don't dare toot at anyone in Britain these days. The Highway Code says one thing, ever courteous British drivers tdo another.
I still think there's some mileage (groan) in a gentle, friendly, non aggressive toot - made even easier nowadays by the pathetic pipsqueak horns now fitted to cars (as anyone who has recently hired a car will affirm).
Quoting a brochure from a Tokyo car hire firm : "When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor."
Happy tootling!
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Sofa Spud
Unless you can overtake safely within the law (including obeying the speed limit), you shouldn't do it.

However, if one gets caught in a tricky situation through lack of judgement or observation, if speeding up is the safest option to reduce the danger, it's obviously the correct thing to do. Getting a fine and/or penalty points is the lesser evil compared to causing a serious accident!
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Lud
This discussion is preposterous. No sane traffic policeman would dream of pulling someone for momentarily exceeding the limit during a safe overtake, just as no sane driver would keep an eye on the speedometer during an overtake.

Someone said they had a fast bike that could get up to 140 in a trice. Obviously on a single carriageway A road in traffic using all of that ability might be thought excessive, and might not be entirely safe. But you would have to be mentally defective not to realise that.
Dead right about the sane traffic policeman Lud.
But what about the bored clerk looking through the safety camera pictures?
Cameras BB are one of the many extra hazards put on the road to harass us. They may be necessary, I don't know. In fact I know one that is.

But what I also know is that you have to watch out for the damn things, remember where they are, or carefully observe the comportment of the faster traffic on fast bits of road.

I don't call them a hazard for nothing. I wonder how many deaths they have caused so far, fewer one hopes than those they have prevented, but there must be some. There's no one more dangerous than a natural mimser who fancies himself a bit because his car is quick.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Steve Pearce
This discussion is preposterous. No sane traffic policeman would dream of pulling someone for momentarily
exceeding the limit during a safe overtake just as no sane driver would keep an
eye on the speedometer during an overtake.

Preposterous or not, I've heard of a number of people being caught by camera vans whilst overtaking. But of course we are not talking about TrafPol here.
If you overtake, and need to exceed the speed limit in order so to do, you should not be surprised to receive a ticket. Simple.

If you overtake and need to exceed the speed limit in order so to do
you should not be surprised to receive a ticket.

So long as it's a ticket to somewhere nice ........... ;-D
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - maz64
If you overtake and need to exceed the speed limit in order so to do
you should not be surprised to receive a ticket. Simple.

...but I would hope that I could argue my way out of it on safety grounds under certain circumstances as mentioned earlier. (Is that technically possible?)
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - s.v.u.
Safe overtake ?? If you are travelling at 40mph on a road with a 40mph limit and you come up behind a vehicle that is travelling at say 38mph then you have to slow down to the speed of the vehicle infront of you. To overtake the vehicle safely you would obviously have to exceed the 40mph limit, you have then knowingly exceeded the speed limit.
When I was active in the job in such circumstances we always pulled the overtaking vehicle, asked if they knew the limit and the reason for them exceeding it. When the old tale of I had to in order to pass the vehicle infront was trotted out, that was when we educated them as to the true meaning of a speed limit which was, and still is, that whatever the limit is on that particular road is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM they are are allowed to travel at, then invite them to choose a station of their choice to produce their documents.
EDITED TO ADD my complete incomprehension of OP's post. What do you think a speed
limit is? A recommendation or a limit with the force of law. Utterly utterly utterly
bemused. What planet...???

I'm not too well up on these new-fangled speed limits. ;-D

When I passed my test the only limit was 30 mph, and even then it was only in the parts of built-up areas which were near to city centres. I feel sorry for the youngsters who have never had the opportunity to legally explore the maximum speed of their car on the open road.
I never cease to be amazed by the complete ignorance of some of the most
basic parts of the law exhibited by some posters on here.

Ignorance is bliss! ;-D

Edited by L'escargot on 03/07/2008 at 17:32

You're cooking, gastropod... keep it up!
You're cooking gastropod... keep it up!

High five, Lud? ;-D

Edited by L'escargot on 03/07/2008 at 18:13

Indeedy, hah-HAAAAH! (slap)
Funny, isn't it. One might expect a snail to mimse. Instead we have a non-mimsing snail - positively rocket powered!

They don't have speed limits in the Highlands, though do they? That's why you need AWD - possibly the most fun I've ever had in a car.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Clk Sec
>>Ignorance is bliss! ;-D

Good man, L?escargot .

Clk Sec
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - ifithelps
Wouldn't have thought a snail would be too pleased to be told: 'You're cooking'.

Garlic butter, anyone?
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - JH
No. I have the points to prove it :-(

JH
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Cymrogwyllt
when doing the IAM course ( I now observe for them) I was told not to exceed the speed limit' and also to overtake ' in the quickest and safest way'. There is a conflict obviously but in the days of speeds enforced by humans made sense to all but in a wildly OTT situation.

Trouble is that enforcement by robot leaves no room for common sense
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - craig-pd130
I was pulled by a bike cop a couple of years back for a chat about whether I exceeded the speed limit to overtake a car (A road with 50 limit).

Car I overtook was doing 40, and had been doing so despite a clear road for some time. Clear both ways, I knew the bike cop was behind, I mirror / signal / accelerate smoothly to no more than 53mph on my speedo, smoothly back in, bike cop overtakes and flags me.

He first said "bet you didn't know I was there", to which I said I DID know.

Then he asked if I knew what the speed limit on the road was, I replied "50"

He said, "well, you went over 60mph."

I said I didn't, my speedo indicated no more than 53mph during the manoeuver.

At that point he said, "Well, I know the driver was being slow but you need to be careful" and let me go.

So no, the limit is the limit (when there's enforcement nearby).
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - synoniv
Bit of science to add (physics or dynamics to be precise!)

If you find someone doing 57mph with no accelaration technically, and imagine there is 200m strech that is safe to overtake. For someone with good road sense, he or she has to exceed the speed limit for atleast 4 seconds , otherwise the vehicle will not be back to the legal 60mph at the end of the 200m after the overtaken path.

Sorry to over kill the topic, but I guess that is one of the reason why there is an allowance of 10% , so when it is safe - act safe and be safe !
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Dyane 6 Mehari
I thought the general advice given on advanced driving courses is to do your accelerating on the correct side of the road.

Drop back and time the manouevre so that you reach the maximum legal speed as you enter the braking distance threshold with the vehicle to be overtaken and if still safe to do so begin the overtake. If not, brake, drop back and try again when it's safe to do so. Dropping back normally offers the advantage of a better view of the road ahead too.

Exceeding the speed limit on the wrong side of the road presents some fairly serious dangers and puts other road users in a stressful situation with a much smaller reaction time than they would be planning for given the speed limit in force.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - MichaelR
Exceeding the speed limit on the wrong side of the road presents some fairly serious
dangers and puts other road users in a stressful situation with a much smaller reaction
time than they would be planning for given the speed limit in force.

No it doesn't - it's by far the most sensible and safe approach, legality aside.

When overtaking, you need to make sure your time exposed to danger - ie, on the wrong side of the road - is as small as it can possibly be. When I overtake, this means planting the peddle into the carpet which with 230bhp.. you get the idea. But it also means the overtake is completed often in just a couple of seconds.

There is nothing more ridiculous than dawdling past a 45mph caravan on the wrong side of the road at 59mph becuase 'thats the speed limit that is'.
But being at the speed limit already at the start of the manouevre does just that - it limits the amount of time on the wrong side of the road whilst reducing the risks created from exceeding the speed limit.

Remember that not everyone has 230BHP to call on. For drivers with lower powered cars accelerating during the overtake is likely to take longer than simply carrying out the whole manouvre at the speed limit.

In your example above, with a speed differential of 15MPH the overtaking driver will be travelling just under seven metres per second faster than the vehicle being overtaken. Even with a big caravan, that's only three seconds.

This is how emergency service drivers are taught to overtake and it was covered I think in T Tom Topper's "Very Advanced Driving".
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - scouseford
This thread seems to have raised a few hackles (by the way what is a hackle?). It must be obvious that, according to the letter of the law if you travel at 71mph in a 70mph limit zone then you are breaking the law but I can't imagine any authority prosecuting such a transgression. If, however, you happen to be driving in North Wales, where the Chief Constable is waging war on drivers, the degree of lenience will be much smaller than in most other areas of the UK and you could well get fingered for overtaking a vehicle travelling at, say, 67mph by accelerating to 75mph for however long it takes to effect the manoeuvre (NumberCruncher might be able to advise us).

On a single carriage road with a speed limit of 60mph it would almost certainly be impossible to safely overtake a vehicle travelling at 57mph and to stay within the law.

Wouldn't it?
This thread seems to have raised a few hackles (by the way what is a
hackle?).

hackles ......... plural noun

The hairs on the back of some animals or the feathers on the back of the neck of some birds which rise when the animal or bird is frightened or about to fight.
hackle, singular noun: the crest (I think red and a feather) worn on the beret of some proud Scottish regiment, the Black Watch perhaps...

Edited by Lud on 04/07/2008 at 16:20

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Cliff Pope
>>
hackles ......... plural noun
The hairs on the back of some animals or the feathers on the back of
the neck of some birds which rise when the animal or bird is frightened or
about to fight.

Compare snails, which have horns which do the exact opposite :)
Compare snails

Have you ever seen snails fighting CP?

How could you tell they were fighting?

Did you manage to decipher what was happening in the blur of action?

Might become a new sport for late night TV on the back-end channels I was thinking.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Cliff Pope
On a single carriage road with a speed limit of 60mph it would almost certainly
be impossible to safely overtake a vehicle travelling at 57mph and to stay within the
law.
Wouldn't it?

But why would you want to overtake anyway, just to gain an extra 3 mph?
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Fullchat
Catch, Match and Dispatch - so dependent an traffic conditions the acceleration is done on the overtake. Once momentum is achieved alongside the vehicle being overtaken the accelerator can be eased to glide smoothly back to the correct side of the road.
Another to tip is once the vehicle being overtaken can be seen in the rearview mirror then you have achieved the best position to return to the correct side of the road.
I thought the general advice given on advanced driving courses is to do your accelerating on the correct side of the road.

Good example of theoretical reading or teaching translates into possible mis-interpretation.

If I were asked to re-write it I would say,
"When overtaking make sure you stay on the wrong side of the road as little time as you can keeping in mind the safest speed and distance from the vehicle being overtaken and the on coming traffic and of course the road conditions".

Thankfully, in UK and mainland EU, the drivers rarely step on the gas when they see they are being overtaken !. In Japan and US, that is simply not the case!
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - jbif
Good example of theoretical reading or teaching translates into possible mis-interpretation.

The theory given here makes good sense to me:
www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...4
162-169: Overtaking

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - MichaelR
The problem with this is it means you must make many failed runups only to find it isn't safe to progress, the road ahead isn't clear etc etc before finally getting the opportunity.

Whereas if you've got a quick enough car you can simply go as soon as the scenario presents itself without wasting time sitting on the correct side of the road 100 yards back from the car you want to overtake, gathering speed by which time the gap has gone.
Right, MUST NOT means legally enforced and DO NOT means a cop can stop you for not obeying and give you warning and could still let you go.
Still there is no mention of speed limit in both MUST Not and DO nots.
snipquote

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/07/2008 at 14:52

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - GJD
I thought the general advice given on advanced driving courses is to do your accelerating
on the correct side of the road.

I'm not sure about that. Roadcraft has a chapter on overtaking. The "overtaking position" is described as "generally closer than the following position", and the procedure described suggests that you may spend some time in the overtaking position before an opportunity to overtake comes along. i.e. you won't do your accelerating until you've pulled out. [*]

I know Roadcraft is the Police handbook, but as a member of the general motoring public I've had it suggested as recommended reading by a traffic officer and an advance driving instructor, so I guess it's regarded as relevant to normal people too.

[*] Naturally, the book also contains all the advice on how to judge whether and when this is safe.
I thought the general advice given on advanced driving courses is to do your accelerating
on the correct side of the road.

I would agree with most parts of that.

1) It is certainly very sensible to start your overtake from a reasonable distance behind the overtakee, and to begin to catch them up before you reach the point on the road at which the overtake can proceed. This makes an additional mockery of the amount of tailgaters you see on the road.

2) It also makes sense to already have as great a speed differential between you and the overtakee as safely possible when you move out, as it will reduce the time spent on the wrong side of the road.

My one proviso would be this: I would not stop accelerating when I move out. Acceleration during the overtake is almost as useful in reducing the time on the wrong side of the road as acceleration before is.
I continue accelerating basically until I am safely back on the right side of the road.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Alanovich
Drop back and time the manouevre so that you reach the maximum legal speed as
you enter the braking distance threshold with the vehicle to be overtaken and if still
safe to do so begin the overtake. If not brake drop back and try again
when it's safe to do so. Dropping back normally offers the advantage of a better
view of the road ahead too.

All well and good, but unfortunatley the reality of driving these days is that anyone behind you will assume that you don't want to overtake the car in front of you if you drop back, because most people don't know how to overtake properly. You therefore end up being overtaken by other cars who then fill the gap between you and the slower vehicle, and so on. End result is you never get the chance to overtake.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's how most idiots drive these days, if you're not right up someone's trumpet then everyone else behind you thinks you're happy tootling along at the slower speed too.
All well and good but unfortunatley the reality of driving these days is that anyone
behind you will assume that you don't want to overtake the car in front of
you if you drop back because most people don't know how to overtake properly.

Is the answer to this that as soon as we decide we wish to overtake, we should be indicating right?
Rather than waiting until the opportunity arrives (or not doing it at all as a lot seem to do)
Is the answer to this that as soon as we decide we wish to overtake
we should be indicating right?

I think that might be a tad excessive. Even on a road you know to be generally suitable for overtaking, you may not actually get an opportunity for some time due to oncoming traffic or other hazards. Leaving a signal one for that time only risks other people misinterpreting your intention as the situation changes (signalling right can mean I intend to move out to overtake, but it can mean lots of other things too) or other people deciding that you've just flicked your indicator on by mistake and haven't noticed.
Rather than waiting until the opportunity arrives

Can't see a problem with that. The opportunity presumably hasn't taken you by surprise. You see it coming, you can signal just before you move out if that's what you deem appropriate.
(or not doing it at all as a lot seem to do)

Generally a bad idea I'd have thought.
Generally a bad idea I'd have thought.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's just something that came to mind the other day when I observed several people who indicated as they pulled out. It seems that a lot of people drive like it's a competition, and don't want to indicate in case someone else gets an advantage from it.
I went to the logical furthest point, but it's probably equally wrong.
I hate it when plod looks you in the eye and tells a lie like that. I think it's to see how out of control you are. Probably part of the training. Very bad for the social climate, and cynical too.

This is in answer to craig's post above. It has appeared in the wrong place from the view flat point of view.

Edited by Lud on 04/07/2008 at 00:19

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Tron
Don't do it.

Two of my past speeding offences have been for doing just this.

Both hand held mobile units.

Wait until you get in to an area that you can **REALLY** see what is hiding and lurking in doorways etc.

One of my offences I was pulled by a rozzer hidden in a privet just outside of South Mimms. Some years ago - but it stuck. 3.4mph over in a 30mph.

The other was national speed limit - blipped past a car doing 55ish & hit 74mph (motorbike) on the overtake and was clobbered by a lazer device. Didn't even see it until the paper work turned up in the post!

Edited by Tron on 04/07/2008 at 00:12

>>of South Mimms

Home to mimsers of all sorts?
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - BeRudeNotTo
This debate strikes right at the heart of today's unfair balance of enforcement by trafpol and by speedcam.

A speed limit is just that - it is *never* okay in law to exceed the plated limit. However something like 11million of 35million UK licence-holders now have at least one speedcam-generated endorsement; a proportion of those probably caused by a brief exceedance during an overtake.

Speedcams don't discriminate by putting the overspeed into CONTEXT and PROPORTION like trafpols can.

Clearly an officer would (and should) nick someone observed overtaking a vehicle that is already doing the limit. But no officer with any sense is going to pursue anyone briefly doing 70 on a 60 road while overtaking a vehicle doing say 55 when no other road user would be put in potential danger.

For each person nicked for such a *crime* there are more out there getting away with drink or drug driving, the latter taking advantage of slashed trafpol budgets but putting the lives of other road users at far greater risk.

UK has already become a nasty country under speedcams and it looks like others are following suit.

Some say things might change after the next general election but i'm not holding my breath.

Edited by BeRudeNotTo on 07/07/2008 at 23:24

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - daveym
If I'm behind someone doing 50 on a perfectly 'open' stretch of 60 limit A road, I'm likely to hit a speed possibly higher than the limit in order to feel safe(r.) The alternative is to either hold back and feel impatient, or go past at no more than 60 (more time exposed to danger.)

I'd rather eke the last dregs of performance out of my car that it can offer than gently dawdle past just to stick to the arbitary number on a sign on the side of the road.

When I talk of driving like this, I am on about regular night time journeys on good A roads through mid wales, not roads I don't know.

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - jbif
night time journeys on good A roads through mid wales

Are these with or without road lighting?
If I'm behind someone doing 50 on a perfectly 'open' stretch of 60 limit A road

Massa and Lewis Hamilton come to mind - when driving in other than perfect daytime conditions at Silverstone. You are just superior at night time driving than the Massa-in-the-wet like mimsers who stick to 50 at night on an A road in mid-Wales. ;-)

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - daveym
I don't find night time driving much harder than driving in the day - the roads tend to be quieter, there are fewer tourists in my way and I can see headlights coming round the bends :)
I can see headlights coming round the bends :)

Hmm, Don't the IAM have a phrase - "hazards unseen"?

Deer, horses, pedestrians, drunk people staggering out of pubs - none of these have headlights. I came round a bend on an NSL road a couple of years ago to find myself rather close to a traction engine on its way back from a steam fair. It was lit by only a dim oil lamp.

The safe system of driving I was taught at work though requires me to think continually about how far ahead I *know* to be clear rather than *think* to be clear so I was able to stop.

In response to an earlier poster - if someone is doing 55 on a 60 road why on Earth overtake? On a 60 mile journey that'll cost you 5 minutes. Does the risk/reward equation really suggest proceeding?
In response to an earlier poster - if someone is doing 55 on a 60
road why on Earth overtake? On a 60 mile journey that'll cost you 5 minutes.

Because driving with an open road ahead is infinitely more enjoyable than driving behind another vehicle, even within the bounds of the law. On a 60 mile journey that's an hour of pleasure vs an hour of tedium.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Westpig
Because driving with an open road ahead is infinitely more enjoyable than driving behind another vehicle even within the bounds of the law. On a 60 mile journey that's an
hour of pleasure vs an hour of tedium.

agreed...plus it's safer having nothing in front of you, you can see more for yourself. Particularly applies to larger vehicles as obviously you can't see through them.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - tim-cumbria
I recently undertook a compulsory driver training course at work. I am employed by a company with over 20,000 staff. All drivers have apparently done the training. Part of it involved answering questions in an assessment afterwards. I passed, but one of the few questions I got wrong was along the lines of 'When overtaking, can you exceed the speed limit'? I answered NO. This was a wrong answer!!

Yesterday, with a speed camera van in clear view about 600 metres away, remembering my training, I overtook a car, reaching nearly 70mph in a 60mph limit. I deliberately slowed down quickly afterwards and didn't move back to the left until my speed had dropped, so that any photographic evidence would prove that I was overtaking.

Edited by tim-cumbria on 13/01/2010 at 18:48

Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Bromptonaut
Tim,

Did the course organiser explain why NO is the wrong answer?
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Old Navy
Once a jobsworth has a photo of you over the limit you have lost.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - DP
I was told on my bike training that the objective should always be minimum time/distance on the wrong side of the road. If that means straying slightly over the limit, then so be it.

In fact, I was astonished at how different the motorcycle training approach to speed limits is. I had it drummed into me that failing to "make progress" was a much more heinous crime than straying a couple of mph over a national speed limit, although 30 and 40 limits are sacrosanct.

I strayed a few mph over the national speed limit a couple of times on my test (although 30's and 40's were rigidly adhered to), and the examiner didn't even mention it. Passed the test with no faults. Then went somewhere quiet and cried lol :-)

Of course, a speed camera isn't going to have the same flexibility, but my encounters so far with traffic cops, particularly bike ones is that their primary concern is your overall riding standard. If your bike is all legal and you're riding is controlled and to the conditions, you don't generally have to worry too much unless you totally disregard the limits of course when you rightly deserve to be booked. Friends who have been tugged for 80 odd in NSL's, including overtakes, have generally been allowed on their way.

There seems to be a big distinction between the car and bike worlds in terms of "reality" on this, if not in terms of the law, obviously. Unless I continue to completely misinterpret things.
Did the course organiser explain why NO is the wrong answer?

Yes, the Highway Code regarding overtaking states 'quickly' and it is safest to get back on the left quickly.

If I get a fine through the post I'll go to court because I can present written details of my driver training. The questionnaire was electronic and there is a record of my answers and my results. Since I was on my way to work and the training was provided by my employer I would ask my union for legal advice.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Altea Ego
If I get a fine through the post I'll go to court because I can
present written details of my driver training. The questionnaire was electronic and there is a
record of my answers and my results. Since I was on my way to work
and the training was provided by my employer I would ask my union for legal
advice.

This sounds terribly bad I know, but in a way I hope you do get knicked overtaking over the speed limit. Please let us know when you are in court because I would pay money to see your face after you are convicted using the "someone told me it was ok" excuse.

Dont bother to ask the union, I can tell you the answer.
This sounds terribly bad I know but in a way I hope you do get
knicked overtaking over the speed limit. Please let us know when you are in court
because I would pay money to see your face after you are convicted using the
"someone told me it was ok" excuse.

I'm sorry Altea Ego, you won't see me in court..) Despite being significantly over the limit and in very clear view of a mobile speed camera (no other traffic on the road and an operator visible using the camera as I passed) I have not heard from the police. I know that many people in the area DO get caught by these vehicles. I know someone who was caught on exactly the same stretch for speeding with the mobile unit parked on exactly the same spot. He was not exceeding the limit for the purpose of safe overtaking.

The advice wasn't simply 'someone told me', but a recognised driver training organisation.
Keep an eye on your post !!
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - JH
A thread that started in 2008... ?!!!

JH
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Peterexhaustpiper
This is a difficult one. Everytime I've overtaken I always have, only in the following circumstances:

For example: If the lorry ahead is doing 50-55 & you intend to travel at 60 then you overtake it so you have a clear road for yourself. To get past the lorry at the 1st overtaking opportunity you have you drop it to the correct gear for the maximum amount of torque to pass then you accelerate like nuts until you are clear of it then move back in on the correct side of the road - how many of us watch our speedometers when we overtake a lorry using the other side of the road? We don't, we are about almost %100 concentrating on the traffic approaching & the objective is to do it as quickly & as safely as possible (no fatal head-on collisions)

If a mobile speed camera was in a layby with the cross-hair target aimed at you when you were overtaking that lorry then you will get a NIP through the post for exceeding 60 or in some cases... Wreckless/Dangerous Driving. If you say you needed to pass the lorry quickly to avoid on-coming traffic then they will always argue that you were clearly overtaking at the wrong moment & you intended to kill someone.

The best way to stay clean is to beat the cops, annoy them at their own game of "catch the motorist" by doing things on the fringes of the law that is not illegal by law or dangerous to anyone.

Keep to these golden rules before you ever overtake:

- Look for any vans parked on a grass verge at the side or a [P] lay-by just before you make an overtake. If you spot one & you are not sure if its the highways agency or a mobile piggy bank, then don't overtake! its not worth it -> Curiosity killed the cat - but can also kill your clean licence.

- Glance in your door mirrors for any suspicious cop cars who may be lurking behind in your line of traffic, it may pay-off to show that you are only intending to overtake, just so you can shift over to your right in-order to get a better view of the line following behind.

- Never ever overtake police cars on a single carridgeway even if they are doing 50 when its 60. Stay well behind them & let someone else overtake them. If the cops chase them then you know where you stand, if they went overtook the cops & the cops didn't chase them then you know your are on an amber light.
One has to wonder as to the mind set of some one who considers that any aspect of driving can be looked upon as a "game! !
- Never ever overtake police cars on a single carridgeway even if they are doing
50 when its 60...

A few years ago I was overtaking a police car on a single carriageway bypass around Daventry. I got nervous as the copper reached close to 60 so I dropped back. A few miles down the road I was pulled over. I explained myself. The copper told me I could have passed legally. The conversation was quite friendly. Since then I have passed police cars in similar circumstances...no problem.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - davecooper
I'm intrigued as to where there is any point in overtaking these days. I'm not talking about the tractor and haycart on the A65 but normal traffic. I can't think of any time when overtaking saved me a big chunk of time on my journey, I certainly wouldn't bother overtaking to save me a couple of minutes on my 20 min commute. Invariably you overtake and then 30 seconds later you come to to the back of other traffic and the person you just overtook draws up to the back of you with a smug look on his face. I have learnt to just chill, get some vibes on and watch other drivers appalling overtaking. I actually find sitting behind an impatient driver quite amusing and entertaining.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - old crocks
......until he mis-judges his overtake, hits the car coming the other way and you get involved in the aftermath.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Mick Snutz
I was going to post something similar Old Crocks.

Besides, who wants to sit behind a chugging stinky diesel truck doing 40 when its a clear NSL road? I'd much prefer to overtake and get to where I'm going. If its done properly there need be nothing stressful about a correctly enacted oevertaking manouvre.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - davecooper
Don?t get me wrong, if there is a good reason to overtake then it is worthwhile doing if safe to do so, but it has to be worth the risk. If I am behind someone doing 50 in a 60 limit and can see the back of a long line of traffic a few hundred metres in the distance going no faster than we are, what is the point in overtaking, we will be with them at the next traffic lights anyway.
Whether I sit behind someone and pour scorn on his antics or take some amusement from his growing impatience is going to make no difference to what he decides to do, and of course I do not want him to take someone out when he does overtake but I don?t have any control over what he does. Two things guaranteed to affect your driving for the worse are impatience and getting irate with other drivers.
>>I'm intrigued as to where there is any point in overtaking these days. I'm not talking about the tractor and haycart on the A65 but normal traffic. I can't think of any time when overtaking saved me a big chunk of time on my journey, I certainly wouldn't bother overtaking to save me a couple of minutes on my 20 min commute. Invariably you overtake and then 30 seconds later you come to to the back of other traffic and the person you just overtook draws up to the back of you with a smug look on his face. I have learnt to just chill, get some vibes on and watch other drivers appalling overtaking. I actually find sitting behind an impatient driver quite amusing and entertaining.

>>Don?t get me wrong, if there is a good reason to overtake then it is worthwhile doing if safe to do so, but it has to be worth the risk. If I am behind someone doing 50 in a 60 limit and can see the back of a long line of traffic a few hundred metres in the distance going no faster than we are, what is the point in overtaking, we will be with them at the next traffic lights anyway.
Whether I sit behind someone and pour scorn on his antics or take some amusement from his growing impatience is going to make no difference to what he decides to do, and of course I do not want him to take someone out when he does overtake but I don?t have any control over what he does. Two things guaranteed to affect your driving for the worse are impatience and getting irate with other drivers.

I agree with both your comments, I had a guy in a VVTi Toyota Celica trying to race past everyone on the A335 near Eastleigh. He was racing everyone along that carridgeway, one minute in the left lane undertaking people in the right-hand lane then cutting up the people he undertook to jump in the right-hand lane. I was going along with the traffic flow playing it cool watching him become a victim of his own irratic behaviour. I just kept catching him up! He was doing speeds of 60-70 along Thomas Lewis way (40mph wide single-carridgeway) & I was doing 40 laughing at his own stupidity. He hit 3 sets of lights along this road until I turned off for my exit, I was right up his backside again & again & again. I just kept on meeting him at every set of lights. Same scenario - speeding away from me tearing up the road at 70 only to get caught up like a fish on a hook at the next set of lights! 2 questions: How much fuel does he waste? & How many sets of brakes & disks does he get through every year?
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - b308
. I just kept catching him up! He was doing speeds of 60-70
along Thomas Lewis way (40mph wide single-carridgeway) & I was doing 40 laughing at his
own stupidity. He hit 3 sets of lights along this road until I turned off
for my exit I was right up his backside again & again & again.
How much fuel
does he waste? & How many sets of brakes & disks does he get through
every year?

Quite... I timed my run into work a few times, if I belted it I could do it in 28 minutes, if I took my time, stuck mainly to the speed limits and "read" the lights corrcectly it took about 33/34... and was much more relaxing... guess which i do now...
b308,

My strategy for beating all the impatient drivers is learning a few de-tours, sneaky short-cuts, traffic light sequences, filter-lane setups, definately not speeding! I learned my sneaky short-cuts very well since being a multi-drop van driver, Speed just doesn't work when you have qeues of traffic in lanes & traffic lights to contend with. Sometimes I wonder why I have a 200Bhp re-map on my TDI?

One short-cut in my town I know is the best, I used to ride on it to college on my bike. Its totally legal & completely acessable by car... No one else knows about it but me. lol
Its a little maze buried inside the middle of a square shaped ring-road. Up on the ring-road there are 3-lanes at the end & this is also where the ring-road begins, all the morning rush-hour traffic queues up & tails back in all the 3 lanes. As you come around the corner, just before the 3-lanes, you can see the huge line of cars backing up towards you. So you immediately turn right onto a small side road which appears on the right that runs parallel to the 3-lanes of traffic which ends as a dead end - follow the road all the way to the dead-end. But... Is it really a dead-end?

The dead-end is an entrance flyover which rises up into a high-level council car-park building but immediately exits right back out again as a fly-over completely paralell to the 3-lanes & traffic lights but feeds the traffic back on the same road again well after the lights.

Amazing shortcut!
Since then I have passed police cars in similar circumstances...no problem.

snipquote for the person who ignored the message NOT to quote everything they're replying to!

Not worth the risk. Waste of time overtaking only to get pulled over up the road. What do you gain? Was it worth overtaking the copper when he was at 50-55? Not really, you could have saved a lot more time by holding back behind him going along with his flow until he turned off. Its a waste of 5-15 minutes of a journey on a "friendly chat"

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/01/2010 at 22:00

Waste of time overtaking only to get pulled over up the road.

If you hustle impatiently past the fuzz when they are driving in dense traffic they may pull you. If they are dawdling on an empty or lightly-trafficked dual carriageway and you pass in a contained and competent manner they won't.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - corax
>>If they are dawdling on an empty or lightly-trafficked dual carriageway and you pass in a contained and competent manner they won't. (pull you)

Quite right Lud. When people see a police car on a dual carriageway, the brake lights come on even if the police car is dawdling. They over react even if they are easily within legal limits. Just drive normally.

I like to see them, because I know some idiot that was fast approaching behind and ready to undertake me will now have second thoughts. They are a traffic calmer, and that bodes better for my safety and others.
Exceeding the speed limit to expedite overtaking. - Sofa Spud
Overtaking isn't an automatic excuse for exceeding the speed limit. In an overtaking emergency, because of a misjudgement, obviously the priority is to avoid an accident or near-miss.
In such circumstances, I'd put my foot down to get back on my own side of the road as soon as possible. I'm sure that's what most policemen would do too. But I tend to avoid getting myself into tricky overtaking situations in the first place, though.
>>you could have saved a lot more time by holding back behind
him... Its a waste of 5-15 minutes of a journey on a "friendly chat"

It turns out that this friendly chat in 1992 was a useful few minutes. The copper gave me sound advice about overtaking that I have put into practice since then, including overtaking police cars when appropriate. Living next-door to a friendly traffic cop was for several years another good source of driving advice. I know many have said this before, but it's shame there are not so many traffic police on the road nowadays providing similar constructive driving advice to improve driving standards, improve road safety and impose penalties only when appropriate. They have been replaced by cameras.