2000 2.0 car missing,and very noisy.Keeps trying t - jezzamagic
Hi All,
Really hope someone can help shed some light on my probs? It started about a month ago when we needed the flexi hose replaced.I got it done at trade costs from a mate,but it could only be done on his days off but still at his works yard.

He fitted it but said it needed re-doing as he only had time to quickly put it on,and i still have to wait till this thursday to get it finished.It was a lot lot quieter but still on the noisy blowing side.Then it started to blow worse and over past week the revs have been jumping,stalling the car a few times at lights.

Yesterday the wife said it was terrible so we went out for a drive and i first thought it was overheating as you can smell summat funny.I opened the bonnet today after driving and the heat from the engine was immense.(unsure if its usually like that).I drove to town today and the 1st mile was fine then it really started to splutter.

It almost stops but then picks up very quickly then splutters and just goes in the same cycle over and over.I am now thinking of possibly timing,spark plugs or leads? Also the other day i checked the oil and it was empty so i had just enough to bring it inside the lines...just enough.Sometimes if you are in neutral or you got the clutch down too long it'll stall so its getting quite dangerous.If it werent for the spluttery blowing i would be thinking of fuel coz that's how it feels.It seems like you just ran out and the engines only turning as its in gear and in motion then all of a sudden its like it just found a gallon or so.

Sorry if it all sounds a lot but i'm just trying to get as many faults listed hoping someone can pinpoint it...thanks for reading and moreso for having this site.

Regards

Jezza
2000 2.0 car missing,and very noisy.Keeps trying t - Screwloose
Jezza

First get the exhaust properly air-tight; any leak near an oxygen sensor will completely mess the fuelling up. I'm surprised that you aren't getting fault warnings.
2000 2.0 car missing,and very noisy.Keeps trying t - jezzamagic
Many thanks for the reply...ok update.yesterday it started to get real bad and i forgot to mention the engine warning light is on.Plus twice this week the car wouldnt start saying the immobilizer had a fault but ten mins later started without a prob.

Today the mrs did the school run and now its conked out on her,won't start:o( So it looks like green flag will be earning the money we've paid over past few yrs today.Really hoping its just down to poor fitting rather than the cat or worse.

Any more help will be again very much appreciated.

Thanks again guys

jezza
2000 2.0 car missing,and very noisy.Keeps trying t - Screwloose

Not surprised that the MIL light is on - probably an oxygen sensor code.

Sounds like you have more than one problem; that exhaust issue won't affect the immobilizer.