Auto Transmission Fluid - Trisha TR
I need to top up the ATF on my 1998 Mitsu Colt... did the usual thing of checking the handbook and it sez I should use something called "Dia Queen ATF SPII", I figure the Dia Queen bit is just a brand so look for something called ATF SPII. Hmmm bit of a problem as I can only find stuff either Dexron or Mucron based stuff and I've no idea which I should use. Any ideas? I read somewhere the two are quite different so don't want to chance it and neither do I want to shell out to a Mitsubishi dealer! The chap in the local auto-supplies shop, when asked, returned with the question "Well is it a Dexron based fluid you need?". Durrr, if I knew I wouldn't need to ask.

Any advice would be appreciated as I've had conflicting views thus far... from the "go with the manufacturers stuff" to "you'll be alright with any ATF".
www.TriumphTR7.com - get 'Wedged'
Auto Transmission Fluid - Ian (Cape Town)
www.mivec.co.uk/q_and_a/q_and_a.htm
Tadaaa!
Q. Gearbox oil - what to use?
A. In light of some threads on the FTO mailing list I had a really in-depth chat with Camskill motorsport about auto gearboxes...
Dextron 3 is the stuff you need to use, but "Dextron 3" is only a specification that an oil has to meet. The auto gearbox oil that Camskill sell is a very high quality Motul oil and you DON'T need a modifier with the oil he supplies. Obviously he can't speak for other suppliers/oils.
Camskill's recommendation for FTO auto gearboxes is as follows; -

Every 12,000 miles change the fluid FILTER
Every 25,000 miles change both the OIL and the FILTER.
By doing this, Camskill would say that it's a cheap way of reducing the chance of possible problems and wear. Don't forget that they recommend using *original part filters* when doing oil changes, and can supply original part filters etc. as part of a kit. In the FTO's auto gearbox there is an AFWUL lot that goes on. In comparison to the engine, the auto gearbox is FAR more complicated and in a way you can look at it being much more important to get the oil right in the gearbox than the engine!!

Q. How do I change the automatic gearbox oil?
A. It can be quite arkward to get all the oil out and you really need to leave it draining overnight. Make sure to measure what comes out so that you can put the same amount back in (you'll never get 100% of the oil out of the gearbox). The car must be warm (go out for a 10 mile drive before you change the oil) and also get it level (you'll have to use axle stands). The drain plug is a large hex nut on the right of the gearbox as you look at the car toward the rear. After the oild has been draining for around 30 mins take the filter off (removing the filter before that will mean oil everywhere!)

Auto Transmission Fluid - Trisha TR
Cheers for quick reply.... I can get that sorted over the w/end.

www.TriumphTR7.com - get 'Wedged'