driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - menu du jour
Have any Backroomers owned or driven one of these? The one comment I can find states that the auto is "slow witted".
I have to replace my Jazz [with cvt] so I know this will be a hard act to follow.
One major factor in the choice is that the Totota dealer is much closer to where I live.
Any comments much appreciated.
Screwtape
driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - madf
Try searching toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=49

And ask for experiences.
driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - mustangman
I can provide some sort of answer, since I've driven both types of transmission.

Firstly with cvt the trans reacts quite quickly to you demanding more acceleration or a higher speed. To some people this sounds like clutch slip on a manual car, but the car will start to speed up, and of course there is no sensation of changing gear.

The Toyota mmt however is an ?automated manual? trans that is in effect a standard manual gearbox with additional actuators. With these they change gear by disengaging the clutch and shifting into another via the electronics and hydraulic actuators. This can be a little difficult to get used to, but providing you are just motoring around urban zones etc. works quite well.
Where you can get a problem is where you need a sudden burst of speed, eg: when approaching a roundabout or perhaps a tight bend. If your foot is off the throttle the car will be in a high gear, then when you press the throttle a fair way down it appears that it can take 2-3 seconds for the trans to respond, and when it does it will be a fairly jerky experience. Since the trans cannot ?see? that you are about to demand some go, you can of course change down manually and things are better and smoother.

Try the Toyota and see if you can live with this.

Also read road tests of cars with a similar trans eg: Citroen C2/C3, Fiat Panda, Ford Fiesta, Smart etc.
driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - Optimist
I tried a Renault with a similar robotised gearbox.

With some time and effort I could anticipate the changes up in the lower gears in towns and so avoid a jerky change, but that meant paying far more attention than an auto usually requires.

You can use the stick to change manually but again that's not automatic as experienced in a CVT.

If you want a clutchless car it's ok, but if you want an automatic I'd look elsewhere.

Good luck.
driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - menu du jour
Thanks for your replies.
I will give it a try but sounds like another Jazz will be the way to go.
screwtape
driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - sajid
wait for the jazz mk2 as i got a mk1 jazz it probably be worth your wait
driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - Kevin Phillips-Bong!
Don't know about the D4D but my wife's experience of a new 1.3 petrol Yaris has been awful. A very low-rent and badly built car with disinterested dealer and manufacturer.

I would say a Jazz would be a much better bet, even the current model. We have also tried a Mazda 2 and it's a quantum leap in quality over the Yaris and much better to drive too.
driving/owning experience of D4D with auto trans - Avant
This looks like a different Gnu from the Will de Beest who has been with us for some time and with whom I usually agree heartily.

The Yaris is less versatile and practical than the Jazz but my elder daughter has had two 1.3 Yarises and both have been excellent and quite a bit livelier than the Jazz that SWMBO had in 2002. "Low-rent" - I'd say serviceable, and the money has gone on the bits that matter. This is her second Yaris - 54,000 miles in two years and no problems so far.

Mazda 2 - daughter and I have recently had a run in one (1.3) and it seemed nothing special, whereas we have just tried a Suzuki Swift 1.5 and this was quite impressive - interior seemed better finished than Swifts used to be, and it was very lively three-up, and I have to say that none of us - me, daughter or salesman - resemble Twiggy.

Octagon Bracknell are excellent for Toyotas - another Yaris is on the fact of it more expensive than a Swift, but if they can do a good deal that's what she'll have.