Volvo 440 Fuel Gauge Fault - James Fraser
I have a 1992 volvo 440 1.8i which has a fuel gauge fault. The gauge reads zero no matter how much fuel is in the tank. The sender has been tested and is ok. on comsulting the dealer, I was told that the are two problem earth connections on this model which can cause gauges to read incorrectly - these were checked & cleaned to no avail. The dealer also said that the gauge itself and the printed circuit behind the gauge are both known to fail - these were also replaced to no avail. I am sure this is a very obscure wiring fault but can\'t find what it is. Has anyone experienced this fault or are there any more suggestions? Thanks.
Volvo 440 Fuel Gauge Fault - Peter
We have a similar problem on a Volvo 740 and went through much the same as you. The garage finally considered that the fault lay in the fuel pump/gauging unit pack and as this cost in excess of £400.00 we decided to drive using the trip meter and roughly 30mpg consumption figure. The total cost would have worked out at nearly £900.00 which is more than the car cost me and then I would not have have a guarantee of success.