First impressions - stunorthants26
Had it now a week. Totally satisfied with it, doesnt put a foot wrong really.

Ride is a little hard on unbroken surfaces, but then the handling makes up for this.
Fuel economy for what has been mainly town work has come in at 26 mpg, not bad at all considering the manual is supposed to average 30 mpg combined.

Auto gearbox is smooth although not seamless, kickdown is not very keen.

Engine is very refined but does appear to lack torque for such a big engine - feels like a 1.6 rather than 2.0 - this may be due to the gearbox more than anything. It also seem sto idle very low ( 500 rpm or so ) when warm but maybe this is normal - doesnt affect the driveability at all.

The interior is excellent and is all we could ask for.

Overall, no regrets at all.
First impressions - Billy Whizz
Foresters are pretty good in snow too. We've had 40 cms of snow in the last 24 hours. The snowplough came past SWMBO's parked Forester in the night leaving a wall of compressed snow 2 feet high. This morning, I brushed the snow off the car with a soft broom, got in and simply drove it out! (Pics in the link in my profile.)

Of course, you won't be surprised to hear it is on new Continental Winter Viking studded tyres :-)
First impressions - gordonbennet
My impressions of your first impressions are that you're like a puppy with two tails with you new car Stu.

Have you found anything you don't like yet?
Hmm, well occasionally the gearbox tends to stick in third gear till 40 mph ( normally into top at 30 ) when it has had to kick down, most likely great for a keen driver who is booting it everywhere but not when you need a quick downshift for a hill and then back off. The ride isnt soft but the handling offsets this so its bearable and doesnt put me off the car.

Aside from that, which we can live with, its a superb car. Its such a complete package, with no real compromises on either space, design or driving experience.
Id recommened them to anyone and I think the diesel version coming soon may well become one of the most complete cars on sale.

Economy is coming in at a 30 mpg average which is ok aswell.

First impressions - oldtoffee
I think the diesel version coming soon may well become one of the most complete cars on sale.

Few would argue. I've rung my local Subaru dealer to arrange a test drive of a Legacy or Outback and they're talking weeks in advance. I'm somewhat attracted by the 45mpg potential versus the 22.5 mpg reality of my fantastic (in my biased opinion) 3.0R spec B. Even 50% more mpg than the 2 litre petrol is some achievement. I think I might wait for the mooted 180 bhp, 6 speed version before I make any decision - some car I bet!

I wonder if supply will become an issue. Unless they drastically change their manufacturing capacity Subaru will surely sell as many as they can make in Legacy and Outback variants just in Europe. And they'll have people queuing in Foresters (surely made for this diesel) and then a torquey 200 bhp derv for the Impreza. (Audi and Le Mans, Subaru and WRC?)

I can't recall such a positive reception to the introduction of a new engine in to a model range although I do remember the Dolomite Sprint causing a bit of a stir!

Edited by NeilS on 27/03/2008 at 22:18

First impressions - AlastairW
Popularity will only be increased by this weeks Autocar. They reckon to be getting a genuine 50 mpg out of a Legacy diesel.
>>I can't recall such a positive reception to the introduction of a new engine in to a model range <<

I think its the rarity of their approach - instead of buying in someone elses cast off, they have made a huge investment for such a small concern and built their own, not only that, but done a world first AND made it work as well as any.
For those who still appreciate such individuality and engineering prowess, its a wonderful thing and proves their are still some free thinkers in the industry.
First impressions - nortones2
I think it should be a great fillip for Subaru: but its not a first! Porsche built a Beetle boxer diesel (na) for VW in 1951, never taken forward, but a working replica engine, in a Beetle, was made as a tribute to Porsche in 1981:)
First impressions - boxsterboy
instead of buying in someone elses
cast off they have made a huge investment for such a small concern >>

Hardly a small concern, aren't they majority owned by Toyota?

Stu, I'm surprised you positively like the interior - my f-in-law has a late one (his third), and I am rather struck by its grey blandness - generic Japanese, nothing that special.
Yes it is grey, with a dash of silver trim but mine atleast is very pale grey and it makes for a light and airy feel.
Maybe its strange but I rather like generic japanaese interiors - they work, theyre simple and they look OK.

Perhaps Toyota are involved for sure, but the investment is as far as I can see, only for Subaru and I expect any parent company expecting such a bold move to be self-financing, ie Toyota have their engines they could have donated so if Subaru go it alone, they must be sure to make it work business-wise.
I just remember reading that a Subaru spokesman had said it was investment given their market share and sales figures.
First impressions - pleiades
As I understand it Subaru owned by Fuji Heavy Industries of which Nissan had 20 pcnt share until 1999 when following Renault/Nissan merger in 1999 this share was sold to General Motors who in late 2005 sold 8.7 pcnt to Toyota and the balance on open market hence so doubt much if any Toyota influence/money in present range or development of the new diesel...
First impressions - nick
>>22.5 mpg reality of my fantastic (in my biased opinion) 3.0R spec B.
Neil, is it an auto or is there lots of urban driving? I get around 25mpg normally and 27-28mpg on a long run out of my Spec B manual saloon. Short trips around town pull it down to what you get.
I've yet to find a diesel I like, maybe this could be it. There is some talk of an Impreza WRX version at some point. I wonder if they'll ever do a 6 cylinder version of the engine?
Nick, it is an auto and most of the miles are motorway with some A roads commuting once a week (250 mile round trip) to the office or visiting clients outside of the M25. A few shortish trips to the shops and gym each week and that's about it. The 30mpg I quoted isn't typical I just did it as an exercise as the M4 was so busy and I didn't fancy nose to tailing it with the Munich and Stuttgart brigade. On my out journey leaving at 5.30 am I averaged 22mpg and thoroughly enjoyed every one of the 125 miles ;-) Although the computer is showing 24mpg over the last 2,100 miles (this months mileage) I know it is nearer 22mpg from brim to brim fills. Not overly bothered now as I love the car but long term, the petrol prices, RFL and green taxes (hah!) the car will attract will probably decide for me.

I might eventually go for the diesel as a company car and buy it after 3 years knowing I've owned it from day one and it has been properly run in and serviced, interim oil and filter changes etc all not at my expense. It might end up being my retirement car so it will have to be very good.
First impressions - madf
tinyurl.com/3cejhu

Or if you want to save a few yen and don't mind a new import

tinyurl.com/2n7ce5
First impressions - gordonbennet
I wonder if they'll ever
do a 6 cylinder version of the engine?

>
I do hope so, that'll cause some cold sweats in certain German boardrooms.

Imagine 6 pot diesel power and total reliability, and a dealer who treats you as a customer...intoxicating.