Computer Related Questions - Volume 147 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 148 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 147. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2008 at 19:03

Driver for wireless card - linux operating system. - oilrag
Is anyone running Linux with a wireless card ? i have a Broadcom card and there are no drivers for it.
Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/01/2008 at 21:35

Driver for wireless card - linux operating system. - smokescreen
bcm43xx.berlios.de/ - Try these.
Recent linux distros should have them included as mentioned.

If your really new and fresh to linux and this means nothing to you, I suggest you get a latest copy of Ubuntu - it has the abililty to automatically setup up wireless for many chipsets including broadcom.
Hi smokescreen, No i`m not new and sadly the latest Ubuntu doesn`t. at least not on this newish laptop;(

(already tried it)

Thanks though ;)

Driver for wireless card - linux operating system. - smokescreen
In that case, the above link or the NDISWrapper for Broadcom drivers is needed.

Also check out distro forums, especially Ubuntu's, very good for this kind of issue.

Edited by smokescreen on 23/01/2008 at 21:57

Thanks for the link Smokescreen, I was too late editing ;)
Transferring Files to a New PC - Robbie
I have just ordered a new pc and will need to transfer files from old one to the new. What is the best method and how do I go about it? Last time I lost all of my e.mails and a few other files.

Both PCs have XP and I also have an external hard drive.

(someone obviously hasn't seen the 'PLEASE NOTE' message! Now moved)

Edited by Webmaster on 27/01/2008 at 13:05

Transferring Files to a New PC - Pugugly {P}
4 Gig dongle (9.99 from DVD.co.uk), a network cable across the two systems or slave the hard drive.
Transferring Files to a New PC - cheddar
Re e-mails you need to save you e-mails as a file that you can import into the new PC's email client, depends on whether you are using Outlook, Outlook Express or whatever.

In Outlook go File>Import and Export>Export to a file>Personal Folder file(.pst) and the reverse on the new machine.
Transferring Files to a New PC - Altea Ego
Get both machines connected (via a usb network connection or on a hub) then use the XP file and tranfer wizzard that MS included in XP for that very job.

Dont clone your old XP, you are getting a nice clean new one so dont pull over all your lurking gremlins and carp thats been slowing it down this past two years.
Transferring Files to a New PC - Stuartli
Some straightforward instructions:

www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

www.ica.bc.ca/kb.php3?helpartid=4
Transferring Files to a New PC - Robbie
Thanks Stuart, very helpful.
Broadband Question - Jono_99
Hopefully someone with IT knowledge can help me with this.....

Have broadband (BT, but sold by someone else) at home, and a wireless router to beam it around the house.

I work from home, and often use Skype to talk to colleagues. Whenever a call comes in on the landline, the skype connection is momentarily lost when the phone is picked up, and again, when the call ends.

I did have the broadband working off an extension socket, but have now moved it to the main BT junction box in the hallway. Still happens.

Do I need a stronger "suppresor" or whatever the thing is that I plug in the wall to split the line into telephone and broadband, or something else?

Thanks in advance

Jon

{Moves from IHAQ to comp related}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2008 at 19:07

Broadband Question - Altea Ego
The only way to diagnose this is to see if you loose your internet connection, for that is all skype is using.

Check your router to see if it has any useable error logs or set the pc to ping a known address a few thousand times, and check if the ping time increase when you phone your own home number (use your mobile for this)

If you are using a wireless land line phone, it could be interfering with your internet wireless zone. Try changing channels on your internet wireless

Broadband Question - Jono_99
Thanks for this - I am sure I am losing the internet connection, as I am unable to check e-mail (for example) at the point I get disconnected from skype (I use skype as the example of the problem, simply as it is the biggest issue, as you could imagine)

Am using a wireless land line phone, so will investigate that first....

Thanks again

Jon
Broadband Question - Altea Ego
Ok jon, your router shouild have a log of the times it logons and disconects. Check that to see if the times of your landline calls co-incide. Its sounds like quite a big chunk of time so I susopect you are loosing conplete broadband connection and it needs to re-log on.

New Splitter required (the dongle that splits into phone line and broadband line), a check of the line by BT. Might ultimately require a new router or s/w upgrade.

Query problems in Access - mfarrow
Hi

I've got an Access database which I'm running the following query on in order to filter out all A-frame structures from a set of structure records, using a list of A-frame structures in another table:

SELECT [Main Data].[Work Item], [Main Data].SerialNumber, [Main Data].[Structure Number]
FROM [A-frame structure list] INNER JOIN [Main Data] ON [A-frame structure list].[Structure No] = [Main Data].[Structure Number];

When I run it I find I cannot update the records (it's the Work Item I want to update), all it says is "this recordset is not updateable".

What am I doing wrong?
Query problems in Access - charlesb
Question

Did you write this in SQL or use the Access table view?

which version of Access?

I think the FROM Statement should say FROM [Main Data] as that is what you are selecting

Worth a go, if not, let me know.

Charles
Query problems in Access - mfarrow
Hi Charles

Did it in the table view.

Thanks for the suggestion, sorted now. Turns out the 'A-frames' table didn't contain unique structure numbers, and this led it to fall over when editing (presumably because it was calling off the same record twice, and so editing one instance would have caused confusion).
Wireless Computer Printer - Robin
Recently I bought a laptop computer and wireless router thingy for home. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. The only downside is when we want to print something from the laptop we have to copy it onto a portable harddisk or pen drive to transfer it to the desktop to which the printer is attached. I have tried but failed to setup a wireless network with file and printer sharing (PC runs XP, laptop Vista - nightmare). So, time for a wireless printer. I guess we are looking to print photos from the digital cameras and pictures from the internet (son's homework!, nothing 'iffy'!).

Any thoughts as to a good one as there seem to loads available.

Cheers

{Moves from IHAQ to comp related questions}

Edited by Webmaster on 03/02/2008 at 12:46

Wireless Computer Printer - cheddar
Canon are the best desktop printers currently, value in cost per page, reliable and high quality. I have had a wireless Canon printer for a couple of years, now obsolete and they dont list a wifi printer now though the MP600R is a multifunction printer/scanner/fax.

Lexmark do a number of wifi printers though the dont have a good reputation for economy or quality.

The HP Deskjet 6980 is also wireless and they have a good reputation.
Wireless Computer Printer - Stuartli
Perhaps I've not understood the question properly, but I'm wondering why you can't just connect a USB cable from the laptop to the printer as and when required?

I'll second the Canon recommendation (even though I've now got an Epson R300 as Canon didn't have quite what I required at the time); I bought a Canon BJC600e, its then top model, in 1996 for £394 including VAT at Makro.

Fully capable of anything that today's photo printers achieve, it did sterling service for 10 years and only ever required its four colour cartridges (compatible) replacing on a regular basis. It's still doing service somewhere in the family.

By the way, my R300 can be used as a wireless device, but the last time I saw it on offer the cost of the optional wireless device was more than £200...:-)
Perhaps I've not understood the question properly but I'm wondering why you can't just connect
a USB cable from the laptop to the printer as and when required?

I suppose difficult if the laptop is upstairs and the printer down ;-)

I can really recommend wifi printers, my printer is on the desk next to my workstation though I can have the laptop in the lounge and print to it, likewise the family PC which is upstairs and only connected to the network wirelessly.

I understand that some wifi routers can work as a print server, i.e put the printer next to the router connected via USB and then print wirelessly though the router, never needed to look into it though.
Wireless Computer Printer - Robin
Thanks for the replies. We have the laptop downstairs (kitchen, conservatory etc) and the printer upstairs. The printer is quite old and does not have a USB port. Pure laziness I guess is the real answer.
Wireless Computer Printer - Pezzer
Robin, I've had the same issue I once got File and Print sharing working, lost it and could not get it back. Then I found this great tip on one of the forums by typing in \\192.168.x.x\ (Ip address of the Desktop) in the 'Run' box of your Laptop it will reveal shared folders, shared printers etc. You may need to enter the windows password once, and have the ip address range in the trusted zone in your firewall but this works every time for me now.

Sorry just noticed that Laptop is Vista - might still be worth a go tho'

>>by typing in \192>>

You have to have both PCs on to file and print share.

Wireless Computer Printer - Pezzer
There should be two backslashes before the ip address ( it does nt seem to go through the system)
Wireless Computer Printer - rtj70
"it does nt seem to go through the system"

If you're saying the desktop to which the printer is attached does not need to be on to print from the laptop then you are wrong. The desktop share's it's print queue and the laptop prints through that. Turn off the desktop and noway to print.

OP does not say what printer but if a good one (albeit parallel port only) then a wireless print server might be another solution. Or maybe if the printer is next to the wireless router/switch just a wired Ethernet print server.

Trouble is all the wireless print server I looked at are USB. So you might need something like:

www.microdirect.co.uk/(5621)Netgear-PS101-10Mb-Print-server-with-1-Parallel.aspx
Wireless Computer Printer - jbif
I have tried but failed to setup a wireless network with file and printer sharing (PC runs XP, laptop Vista - nightmare). So, time for a wireless printer

First try to solve the original problem:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/124358-n...l
www.home-network-help.com/simple-file-sharing.html

Wireless Computer Printer - Stuartli
You can buy the Dell 948 All-in-One multifunction printer for about £70-80 (half the price of the Lexmark model it's based on).

The Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300 RF442 to match it is priced at £41 from:

www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/Modems_for_PC___Laptop...l

(scroll just under half-way down; about half normal price).

Excellent company to deal with.

Edited by Stuartli on 04/02/2008 at 00:12

You can buy the Dell 948 All-in-One multifunction printer for about £70-80 (half the price
of the Lexmark model it's based on).

I recommend Dell computers and particularly their monitors however Lexmark lags behind others on quality and economy (cost per page) and the Dell printers are based on Lexmark.
.PSD files. (photos) - Pugugly {P}
Hi,

I've been given a CD full of historical photos of my area. Trouble is they're in a .psd type files,
I've tried every which way but cannot open them for the life of me. Any ideas ?
.PSD files. (photos) - rustbucket
PSD apear to be Adobe photoshop files.Irfanview which is free and available will open this and almost every other file you have heard of.

www.irfanview.net/
.PSD files. (photos) - rustbucket
PSD apear to be Adobe photoshop files.Irfanview which is free and available will open this
and almost every other file you have heard of.
www.irfanview.net

PS dont forget to download the proggrame and the plug ins.
.PSD files. (photos) - Pugugly {P}
Sorted it ! Thanks. My AV suite doesn't like it but it now works - Thanks for the response.
Password Cracker OSX - Nsar
My son has an Apple, but can we remember the admin password, no we can not. Don't have the install CD. Have tried googling password cracker + OSX but nothing seems to come up.
Any clues?

Password Cracker OSX - smokescreen
They've released a version of John the Ripper for OS X however its not free like its unix version. www.openwall.com/john/pro/macosx/

Sorry I cant be much more useful, spend most my life in linux/solaris these days.
Password Cracker OSX - billy25
Hi !
you've probably already found ths link, but in case you haven't, try here!

tinyurl.com/ii6i

hth

Billy
Password Cracker OSX - Baskerville
If it's a weak password you may have luck with johntheripper. But it's not a certainty. You may well be stuffed. But on the up side OSX is not protected by keys like Windows, so if you know anyone else with a Mac, their copy of the install disk should work just fine.
Printer - Colour Laser - Martin Devon
Due to a new business venture I need a colour printer. I see they have dropped in price considerably as things do. Anybody here got any recent experience at the lower cost end of the market. There is likely to be a fair throughput initially. Ink costs will of course play a part. Don't necessarily want cheap, just value.

Best regards...........MD
Printer - Colour Laser - Statistical outlier
Canon inkjet printers are notably cheaper to run, if not buy, than the other brands, and don't suffer the same problems iwth their ink heads drying up.
Printer - Colour Laser - Altea Ego
Lexmark are unreliable and poorly made, HP are very ink expensive, Epsons block the heads up unless used a lot. That leaves Cannon, Reliable and cheap to buy, Still expensive ink tho I wouldnt say they are notably cheaper to run.
Printer - Colour Laser - cheddar
I agree 100% with Gordon and 90% with AE.

Buy a more expensive Canon and it is cheaper to run, i.e an ip4500 is cheaper to run than an ip1600.

The ip4500 is however on offer currently if you shop around.
Printer - Colour Laser - rtj70
OP does not say what he is going to be printing. If photos then inkjet the way to go. If colour documents then maybe not, especially for speed and durability of prints.
Ooops the thread title says Colour Laser so OP did say what was needed.... and everyone is suggesting ink jets.

Sorry I cannot help with colour laser printers. But what is your budget? Does it need to be networked?
Printer - Colour Laser - Stuartli
>>Epsons block the heads up unless used a lot. >>

I leave my Epson R300 on permanently to avoid any such problems - it also prevents the unnecessary cleaning routine each time you switch it on.
Found this HP 2600N colour laser at £155 + VAT - was more expensive:

www.arcitonline.co.uk/scripts/prodview.asp?idprodu...8

Samsung colour laser at £120:

www.ebuyer.com/product/120362

Listed in just received e-mail newsletter.
Before buying any printer we all know consumables is where the manufacturer makes the money. For most of us it's ink cartridges and maybe a print head if all goes badly (not HP issue as they tend to supply a print head with the cartridge).

For laser printers the cost not only is the toner cartridges but also develop units, drums, etc. I would look into the cost of consumables and factor in based on expected print volumes. You could buy a cheap laser printer and find the drum/developer unit/etc are costly and do not last as long as a more expensive printer. A more expensive printer could turn out to be cheaper to run.
Printer - Colour Laser - Altea Ego
And with lasers If you dont buy one of the main printer brands, gettting supplies three years down the line is impossible if you dont know who makes the "print engine"
' And with lasers If you dont buy one of the main printer brands, gettting supplies three years down the line is impossible if you dont know who makes the "print engine" '

I did a quick check on PC World to see the cost of toner for a Samsung laser printer. It listed cartridges from/for Brother and HP.... so I'd say that was probably HP Laser printer engine but when HP first started they used Canon engines.....

For a laser printer I would not go too cheap and use one from a main brand or lose out later.
Printer - Colour Laser - Victorbox
PC Pro magazine's current "A List" budget inkjet printer is Canon Pixma ip4500 which I see is about £60 with free delivery from Amazon UK.
Thank so far. It doesn't have to be laser it's just that I've had a Canon laser yonks ago, but eventually died after much use and have a Brother B/W now that seems to go on and on, but will now surely run out of ink as i've mentioned it!

Yes it does have to be networked. Now this will probably sound utter tosh, but the Brother in the office at present was, I'm sure, not wireless equipped, and I think I was told I had to buy a special piece of kit to enable it, but my 'man', ex RAF genius I have to say, has it printing through thin air.

There will be periods, maybe quite long when it will not be used and I am concerned about the drying up thing that's why I proposed laser, but to be fair my knowledge of these things is minimal. TOO MUCH CHOICE I SAY.

Was to be mainly for leaflets and promotion, but things may have changed slightly today and I could get them done by a third party. Now picture printing sounds good, but isn't that another minefield??

Regards as ever.........MD
If it was not for photos but mainly leaflets then I would go for laser. Faster and the print is bonded to the page with the heated rollers in the laser printer. But for photos not so good for most colour lasers.

If you're talking third party then maybe a good inkjet for proofing and then send off to the third party... but you're not guaranteed exactly the same results and I am not talking just colour. This is why Adobe produced Postscript as their page description language that led on to PDF.

If you are now after inkjet then I will still say Canon. If it needs to be networked then you can get network print server (sounds like your RAF genius got you one) and these come in USB and parallel port versions with the former more common now. Some printers including some Canon inkjets some as network ready too.
And adding to this. What about a Canon IP1800. £25.00. PC world till I make my mind up. Any good for now?

And where do you get your ink?

Best regards as ever............MD
As has been said lower end Canon printers are more expensive to run than the more expensive ones due to single/combined colour + b/w cartridge instead of individual colours plus black. Or in the case of some like the Pixma 4000 I have (and probably the follow on newer models) you get photo black and a larger/cheaper pigment black for text.

So for the sake of not a lot how about a Pixma 4500? As I say (without checking spec I cannot comment really) my Pixma 4000 is two years old, prints brilliant photos, does duplex printing and prints on printable CDs/DVDs. I am well impressed - still.

As for inks... I tried compatibles and okay for documents but for photos there was always a colour tint. I tried creating colour profiles to some success but never as good as the Canon ink. I buy mine in the triple packs (CMY) and check when there are offers at PC World. The newer printers use Chroma Life ink so will be a different price.... compatibles for mine can be had for less than £2!

Edited by rtj70 on 06/02/2008 at 19:05

As has been said lower end Canon printers are more expensive to run than the
more expensive ones due to single/combined colour + b/w cartridge instead of individual colours plus
black.

Thanks rtj.

vbr........MD
Printer - Colour Laser - cheddar
>>Or in the case of some like the Pixma 4000 I have (and probably the follow on newer models) you get photo black and a larger/cheaper pigment black for text.
So for the sake of not a lot how about a Pixma 4500? As I say (without checking spec I cannot comment really) my Pixma 4000 is two years old prints brilliant photos does duplex printing and prints on printable CDs/DVDs. I am well impressed - still.

I have the 4000R, same but wifi, I agree it is great, I have never used cartridges other than Canon though have bought them from Dabs and e-Buyer, generally cheaper than PC World, and have just ordered some from 7Dayshop.

The newer ones have chips embeded in the cartridges though the 4500 is supposed to be excellent and is on offer in some places as I said above.
Computer shut-down time - L'escargot
I know I raised this topic some time ago when my computer was running low on ?available memory? so please be patient. (I am, after all, a self-confessed computer duffer with a short memory!) When I originally bought the PC it had 256 MB of RAM, which at the time was pretty good. With use the ?available memory? dwindled to something like 22,000 KB and quite often I had to resort to using the switch on the tower to shut down. I had a further 512 MB RAM installed and this transformed the performance. If I remember correctly the shut-down time then became approximately 18 seconds. This has since increased to approximately 40 seconds. I've checked the start-up programmes (which I understand can affect shut-down time) and there doesn't appear to be anything superfluous. In fact in this respect the situation is better than originally because I've since combined my antivirus and antispyware and hence there are now fewer individual programmes for the PC to shut down. The ?available memory? is currently approximately 500 MB

The questions are (a) is 40 seconds a reasonable shut-down time? (b) is the increasing shut-down time a sign of approaching problems? and (c) at what shut-down time would you consider the PC needed some TLC?

Computer shut-down time - rtj70
For quicker shutdown and startup I use hibernate... masks the inefficiency of Windows boot/shutdown. Maybe you could try it disk space permitting.
Computer shut-down time - cheddar
L'es,

Suggest a defrag, ask if you dont know how.

Run something like CCleaner to get rid of unwanted bits and pieces

Also re Hibernate, IIRC it doesnt allow the registry to compress so ulitmately increases shut down and start up times.

Computer shut-down time - Stuartli
Hibernate, in contrast to Standby, Saves all your settings before shutting down the system; on rebooting the system resumes at the exact point when it was closed down i.e. all programs, applications etc are intact.

In Standby, if you are unfortunate enough to suffer a power failure or other problem, any unsaved work will be lost.
Suggest a defrag ............
Run something like CCleaner to get rid of unwanted bits and pieces

I've just finished a defrag but it hasn't improved the shut-down time. I run CCleaner regularly ~ at least once a week.

Computer shut-down time - Altea Ego
You are right, long shut down times are due to closing down *running* programes.

How do you know what is superfluous?

ctrl/alt/delete - task manager - processes

how many? check them on the web to see what they are.
Computer shut-down time - billy25
If you have Spybot s/d installed, change into "advanced" mode, click on the "tools" menu and the on "system start-up". A screen will open with a "run" list, marked in yellow and green, click on the arrow bar on the end of this window, which will open a blank description area, now click on the items in the run list one by one, and read the descriptions, any that come up as "typically not required" you can uncheck the associated box for that item, it is suprising sometimes just how much you can shutdown. and stop from starting in the first place! this can have dramatic effects on both start-up and shutdown times.
If on the other hand, you dont have spybot installed, totally ignore all the above!

Billy
Unless you have MS defender installed - it has the same functions
I haven't got Spybot or MS Defender. I have Webroot Spysweeper with Antivirus, plus ZoneAlarm free version.
Computer shut-down time - jbif
Slow shut downs can be improved in some instances by using this microsoft utility
tinyurl.com/2kaknx "A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems."

Also, if you are using zonealarm, it is worth noting that the previous version was causing slow shutdowns. The latest version has cured it on my XP machines. The release history and download locations for all free versions (current and outdated) is
download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/znalm/...l
e.g. "7.0.462.000 was released to the public on December 14, 2007. For changes in this version, click here*. To download this version, click here*."

* = links given on the zonelabs release history page.

I already have the latest version of ZoneAlarm so it isn't that.

What's the maximum shut-down time that you would consider to be reasonable?
ctrl/alt/delete - task manager - processes
how many? check them on the web to see what they are.

I have 26 processes running but I'm not competent to decide which are needed and which aren't.

I have 6 start-up items as follows.

E_FATIADE ~ whatever that is!
Dragdiag ~ this is my Speedtouch modem
zlclient ~ ZoneAlarm free firewall
SpySweeperUI ~ this is Webroot Spy Sweeper with Antivirus
ctfmon ~ C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe, whatever that is!
Bandwidth Meter ~ this is Tautology Bandwidth Meter v1.2, and disabling it made no difference to shut-down.

I'll be grateful for any suggestions.
E_FATIADE ~ whatever that is!>>

Epson utility.
ctfmon ~ C:Windowssystem32ctfmon.exe whatever that is! >>

MS Office.

>>What's the maximum shut-down time that you would consider to be reasonable?

Start up and shut down varies, I have three PCs on XP Professional, approx times:

Laptop: Startup = 90 secs Shutdown = 10 secs
Workstation: Startup = 20 secs Shutdown = 20 secs
Family PC: Startup = 20 secs Shutdown = 10 secs

The laptop start up is a little annoying though there are no problems, I would say if it aint broke dont fix it, of course if the shut down time continues to lengthen then it is worth tackling.

Edited by cheddar on 06/02/2008 at 09:35

Computer shut-down time - madf
I rebuilt my PC and added 512 MB of RAM to give a total 1.5GB. StartUp and shutdown times fell dramatically (start up from 90secs to about 20).
Memory can make a difference though my workstation and family PC have 2GB and 1GB rspectively and they perform similarly in that regard where as the laptop has 1GB and is slower to start up.

I have thought about extra memory in the laptop though as is typical it only has two slots so I would have to replace the two 512MB sticks with two 1GB sticks as opposed to add another GB as you can do on a desktop.
laptops are always slower to start and shut down. They have much more running programs loaded - battery monitors, power saving schemes, bluetooth, wireless, infared, touchpad drivers, manufacturers utilities, etc etc.

Old t40 laptop 512MB memory start 40 seconds, shut down 1 minute, (it needs to be reloaded)

Home workstation Pentium 3.4 EE, 2gb memory- Start to logon screen 15 seconds, logon user another 10 seconds. shutdown (from user logged on) (with no progs running) 15 seconds.

26 processes is on the low side - thats good
laptops are always slower to start and shut down. They have much more running programs>>

True, though while mine (Core 2 Duo T5500 1GB 667mhx memory) takes up to 90 secs to start including log-on it will literally shut down in 10 seconds.
> 90 seconds to start

yuo cos all the stuff thats loaded on Laptops, is all mostly hardware monitoring or comms stuff, that needs to talk to hardware, check status, check links, check the G shock status of the drives - etc etc etc

It does not care about chopping them when powering down, so its literaly write unsaved data, write registry, clear cache and die.
Old t40 laptop 512MB ............. shut down 1 minute

Home workstation Pentium 3.4 EE 2gb memory ........... shutdown (from user logged on) (with no progs running) 15 seconds.
26 processes is on the low side - thats good

Looks like my problem is down to having a low RAM ~ both me and my pc! And to think that the original 256 MB was a good (although not top) spec when I bought it 5 years ago. I think I'll wait until it gets to be a real nuisance and then I'll buy a new one with oodles of RAM.
Computer shut-down time - billy25
my old pc only has384mb memory, has 29 running processes on win 98, still shuts down in 12 seconds. May be worthwhile downloading spybot s/d just to see what if anything you can shutdown, if it turns out that there isn't anything (there will be ;-)), you can always delete it again! - its free! find it on Gooogle.

Billy
BBC iPlayer - Watch Again? - drbe
I saw a programme a few days ago which I think a friend of mine - who is on holiday - would like to watch.

I understand that the "Watch Again" facility lapses seven days after the programme is shown. Is it possible to record/save the programme on to a PC, so that it can be watched in about ten days time?
BBC iPlayer - Watch Again? - oldnotbold
"The expiry date for the programmes that you download will vary according to the agreements BBC has with rights holders. You can keep most programmes that you have downloaded in your BBC iPlayer Download Manager unopened for up to 30 days. Once you open (first playback) a downloaded programme you will usually have a further seven days to watch that programme for as many times as you wish. Seven days is also the maximum length of time programmes are available for streaming."
BBC iPlayer - Watch Again? - Dynamic Dave
Is it possible to record/save the programme on to a PC so that it can be watched in about ten days time?

drbe, you have email.
Ardamax keylogger - mostyn
Has anyone come across this ?I have just done a check with Zone Alarm anti-spyware and it picked it up.I deleted it and it seems to have gone.I have Avast on the pc plus Windows Defender and a few other bits of anti-spyware eg Adaware.
Should i be worried?
One Monitor With Twp PCs - Robbie
I have just bought a new PC and I was wondering if it was possible to link up the two using just the one monitor, keyboard and mouse?

The older one is two years old and I thought it might be easier than transferring all of my files and folders to the new one.
One Monitor With Twp PCs - madf
For transferring files and folders (and backups), I use MozyHome which provides FREE backups up to 2 GB of data.

To reload new computer I restored all the data files (not the settings cos I did not want them.) Took about 45 minutes.

I use MozyHome for daily backups now : it's set to do it autmoatically at 6pm.
Did same with son's PC.

Goodby CDs and Norton ghost.
One Monitor With Twp PCs - rtj70
You need a KVM switch - Keyboard Video Mouse. Which one you get depends on whether your mouse and keyboard are USB connected or use PS/2 connectors. Trouble is many new PCs do not have PS/2 connectors but assuming your old PC has USB then using a USB unit should work.

PC World sell these.
One Monitor With Twp PCs - normd2
why not fit the old one's hard drive into your new one and set it to be a slave? Pretty straightforward to do - there'll probably be free connections on the ribbon cable and spare power leads and it's just a case of moving a jumper link to make the drive a slave.

Edited by normd2 on 07/02/2008 at 16:01

One Monitor With Twp PCs - charlesb
Two other methods for transferring the files over would be to utilise a USB PC-PC cable.

or just use a USB Memory stick and copy the files across that way.

KVM sounds good, but you're still drawing power to both PC's if they're both on, and to be honest, once you've copied the files across, why bother

The other method, which is another good one is to utilise VMWare convertor and VMPlayer.

Use the convertor to create an image of your old PC and the Player on your new PC to Playback the image - essentially you'd be running your old PC as a virtual machine.

Hope this helps
Charles
One Monitor With Twp PCs - Robbie
My new PC is being replaced by Dell as it is faulty - no sound - but that's another story.

It took me over six hours to transfer my various files and folders via an ethernet cable using XP's file transfer system. Obviously, that was a wasted effort, so I just wondered if I could link up the two PCs. I would only be using one PC at any one time.

Of course I could set up a network and put one in a bedroom, but I'd rather not mess up the room.
One Monitor With Twp PCs - rtj70
Windows file sharing (SMB) is very inefficient, especially with small files. The overhead of the protocol takes a lot of the time. Bigger files are better.

I would either connect the old drive to the new pc (you could put in in a USB enclosure even) or copy the files to DVDs. You'll be surprised how much quicker this can be.
One Monitor With Twp PCs - Citroënian {P}
Another angle (if they're linked via ethernet) would be to use RDP

On the old computer, right click "My Computer" and select Properties
Click the remote tab and then "allow users to remotely connect to this computer"
Make sure you have a username that is allowed (click the box in that dialog)
Get the computer hostname or IP address (START- RUN- cmd then either ipconfig or hostname"
Reboot the PC

On the new computer
START -RUN - mstsc (enter), enter the hostname or IP address of the old computer
enter the user information (you may need WORKGROUP{username} )
log on and play!

This avoids having to buy a KVM although I admit it's a little complicated (looks worse written down!) All the technology is built into XP so nothing else to install.

Once you're happy it's working, you can unplug the monitor, mouse and keyboard from the old PC and use it "headless"

Edited by Citroënian {P} on 07/02/2008 at 20:50

One Monitor With Twp PCs - Victorbox
I got a Belkin KVM switch from Amazon - PS2 in my case for about £17 if I recall. Without provision for sound switching is much cheaper, although they do one for multiple PC's with sound, but for a tidy price.
E-bay item sold. Can't invoice for postage grr! - Martin Devon
have just had a minor sale on e-bay an it appears that I didn't specify postage costs, but when I attempt to add it in, as they have suggested, and then re-calculate it wont take it. Someone please or the machine gets it cos I am knackered!

VBR.......MD
E-bay item sold. Can't invoice for postage grr! - Billy Whizz
MD, I had something similar recently. Using the re-calculate (in my case changing the default postage to an optional postage rate) would not produce the correct result. However, when I looked at the invoice preview it was correct so I sent it off and my correction was saved in the summary.
preview tells me to enter a valid postage thingy. Getting madder now, but ya do when yer tired and it still won't have it.

VBR....MD
Help.................I'm going for the HAMMER!!

MD
E-bay item sold. Can't invoice for postage grr! - madf
Use the discount function.
ssu.exe - L'escargot
Since asking the question about shut-down times I've started looking at the Processes that my pc has running. The first I chose was ssu.exe and a google led me to this website tinyurl.com/2auv6s which declares that ssu.exe is malware and classes it as bad. Should I get rid of it, and if so how? Would clicking on "End Process" be sufficient. My antispyware/antivirus has obviously ignored it. I don't want to do anything out of ignorance which might upset my pc.
ssu.exe - knowwun
www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processli.../

ssu.exe is a process belonging to Webroot Spy Sweeper which protects your computer against Internet-bound threats such as spyware and trojans which can be distributed through e-mail or attack directly to the computer allowing unauthorized access to your computer.
ssu.exe - L'escargot
Well, that's a complete contradiction of what PREVX says about it! (By the way, I have Webroot Spy Sweeper and Antivirus.)